From: "jerry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problems with Network Card
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 06:14:15 -0500

I don't know about this card specifically, but a lot of the D-Link and
LinkSys cards "seem" to be the same.  I have a lot of the D-Link cards
installed in various machines and I couldn't get the tulip driver to work
either, I'm running with the rtl8039 module.

Try this and see if it works...

jerry at showmeisp dot net

"RP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:IwI05.16315$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I just installed the RedHat 6.2 on a Sis620 motherboard, everything works
> fine but the network card
> which is not a part of the motherboard and its a LinkSys /
NetworkEverywhere

------------------------------

From: wayne rattz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mandrake 7.1 + abit be6
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:30:05 GMT

Rob Harper wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I'm trying to install Mandrake 7.1 so that I can use the HPT366 udma66
> controller on my  abit be6 motherboard. I have a 10Gb HD connected to
> the first udma66 controller (so the partitions are /dev/hdex) with
> windoze in the first primary partition hde1 and ext2 partitions hde6 and
> hde7 for / and /home (hde5 is swap). I also have  CDROM and 500 Mb HD as
> secondary master and secondary slave on the second normal ide , so the
> HD is /dev/hdd./
>
> Right, so the install went fine until LILO/grub where it wanted to
> install it in hdd, but I chose to install it in hde, cause that seemed
> to make sense. Anyway install finished and rebooted but it couldn't find
> LILO, presumably cos hde is not the first drive it looks at. I booted
> off a floppy and it went fine till
>
> INIT: go to runlevel 5
>
> when it hung, but that's probably a different problem.
>
> The only thing I can think of doing is connecting my second HD as
> primary slave hdf, but that's not the best for performance. Installed
> again with HD back as hda and everything went fine (except the wheel on
> my mouse still doesn't work!)
>
> Anyone got any ideas??
>
> Cheers, Rob

Hello:Have you tried going into your bios and changing the boot up
sequence of the drives?Have you tried unhooking the small hard drive on
the secondary slave to see what happens?Also if youre using only four
partitions-win98-/(root)-home-and swap have you tried using just primary
partitions?How about checking the back of the drives to see if the primary
and secondary pins are setup right.Are you using lilo or grub?I tend to
have better luck with grub.Anyway just trying to jog your brain a little
bit.GOOD LUCK WAYNE!  http://www.geocities.com/wrattz/linux1.html  My site
for links to most of the main linux sites and iso images.

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Please Help on my Final Year Project
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:35:40 GMT

Alan Po wrote:

> Thanks for your help. Does the USB in Linux also support PnP?

Eh? Oh..You must mean hot-plugging. Yes it does. Plugging/unplugging
messages show up in the kernel console log. (with me that's
/var/log/messages)
I like it. You never have to reboot your machine after a hot-swap. It
just works. (At least with my HP4100C-scanner it does)

P.S. Just for your knowledge: PnP is actually a standard for old
ISA-cards without any jumpers, like a SoundBlaster AWE32/64. This has
been put into the 2.4.0-kernel, too.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 12:04:28 GMT

I've just installed Mandrake 7.1 on my Dual Celeron 366 on an Abit BP6
m/b. I've got a 20 gig IBM 7200rpm UDMA/66 drive hanging off the first
UDMA interface. One of the reasons I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.1 was that
it supported ATA/66 out of the box, and I wanted to try it out.

First problem I had was similar to yours. Lilo wouldn't install (it
complained about not finding a valid partition table.) I then tried with
Grub, and that worked fine. It looks like quite a cool bootloader,
menu-driven but flexible. When I rebooted, I set the boot sequence in
the BIOS to be 'Ext, C, A'. The bootloader kicked in OK, and I was able
to boot the kernel. However, I'd chosen to enable the Hard Disk
optimisations as I'd done when the drive was on the ATA/33 controller. A
few seconds after the init script turned on UDMA, the machine hung,
hard.

I reinstalled (as I couldn't even get single user mode to work). This
time without optimisations. Here's the results from hdparm -Tt /dev/hde.

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.49 seconds = 85.91 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 26.44 seconds =  2.42 MB/sec

Which is garbage, I was getting 16mb/sec with disk reads on the ATA/33
controller. I even updated the HPT366 bios to the latest revision
thinking this *must* be a h/w problem. Anyway, it's still hanging if I
turn DMA on (hdparm -d1 /dev/hde). I'll probably try installing the
latest devel kernel now and see if that helps at all.

Hope some of the info here may be helpful to you, and if anyone knows of
any problems with the Mandrake 7.1 supplied smp kernel and the HPT366
controller, could they please cc: me a mail.

Cheers,

Si

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Rob Harper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> sft wrote:
>
> > Boot with your floppy, and look at /etc/lilo.conf. It should have
> > something like boot=/dev/hde on the first line. When you did your
install,
> > were there any problems when you set up lilo?
> >
> > By the way, I have set up several machines in a similar
configuration to
> > yours, and haven't (yet) used "hde", usually my IDE drives are hda,
hdb,
> > etc. Is this something new? (I use RH5.2/Mandrake6.0/Mandrake7.0).
> >

> The be6 motherboard has 2 standard ide controllers and 2 hpt366 udma66
> controllers. The standard ones give hda-hdd and the hpt366 have
hde-hdh. I
> think the problem is that the bios sees hdd first and expects to find
some
> kind of boot loader, but this is now on hde.
>
> If I plug my main HD in as hda everything works fine (but I don't use
the
> udma66)
>
> Cheers, Rob

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

Subject: Conflict between modem and COM1
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott E. Post)
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 13:20:10 GMT

My internal modem has apparently been assigned to /dev/ttyS0.  That's what /dev/modem
is linked to and the modem works fine.  The problem is, I'd like to use my external
serial port, COM1 (to connect to my digital camera).  What do I need to do to use the
external port?   Heres the output of "setserial -g /dev/ttyS*":

          /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
          /dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
          /dev/ttyS2, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
          /dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

Is it a matter of reassigning the modem to a different IRQ?  If so, how?

--
Scott Post   [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://members.home.net/sepost

------------------------------

From: "Boris Kleibl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mustek scanner doesnt work
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 10:16:08 +0100

Im Artikel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb Tobi
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> hi
>
> i want to install my mustek scanner which is a MFS-6000SP. But the
> scsi-adapter comin with it isnt recognized by linux, if i use the
> generic scsi-support (sg0-9). i want to use sane, and if i run
> find-scanner, there isnt printed anything on my screen. i think even the
> scsi-card isnt found. Does anyone know what to do (i think i chose an
> unused scsi-id and io-address)?
>
> thank you tobi

Hi, Tobias!

The Mustek scsi-adapter coming with the scanner is indeed unusable with
linux. I suggest to buy an unexpensive (about 35,-- EURO) Symbios Logic
PCI-810A SCSI-2 adapter (formerly NCR 53C810A), which works excellent with
Linux. I did so with my Mustek 600 II CD SCSI scanner and up to this day I
didn't have any problem working with it.

Boris Kleibl

------------------------------

From: "Wouter Verhelst" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp0 disconnects when screen turned on?!?!
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:06:31 GMT

Martin Herrman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in
berichtnieuws 39436d27$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Dear reader,
>
> my 486 router/firewall has a dial up connection through an external modem
> connected to a serial port. Normally the screen is turned off, but
sometimes
> I want to change some settings, check my log files or download a file.
Then
> I turn on the screen, and right after that the connection is terminated.
> Very weird hey? I checked my /var/log/messages and it says:

Could it be that your screen consumes a lot amount of electricity, so that
if you put it on, the voltage on the net drops for a short moment?
If that is the case, your modem may misunderstand what happens on your
telephone line and disconnect...
Perhaps if you try to connect your screen to another outlet?

<cut some logfile-information>
--
Greetings,

Wouter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug Robbins)
Subject: Re: Anyone still familiar with EISA systems?
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:10:00 GMT

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000 12:51:20 GMT, James Stafford
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"M. Buchenrieder" wrote:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug Robbins) writes:
>>
>> >Hoping someone has some knowledge of the long-gone EISA systems.

[snip]

>> EISA uses a setup program on a floppy disk for the installation
>> and configuration of add-on cards. If you don't have it, you're
>> stuck,

[snip]

>The first time I installed Linux it was on a 486 DX2 50 Mhz EISA
>computer. This computer was given to me, it was just a case with the
>motherboard. It took me two weeks of searching on the web for a EISA
>config utility that worked with the MB. I just went to multiple
search
>engines and looked until I found something that worked.
>
>Do you know what chipset and BIOS the motherboard has? I can see if I
>can help you with a EISA config utility that works (I found and saved
>lot of them).
>
>jamess

BIOS is PhoenixBIOS E486 version 1.00. I don't know what to look at to
determine the chipset (?)

Thanks, your help is appreciated.

--
Doug Robbins

------------------------------

From: Patricia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up
Subject: Re: How to configure modem?
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 16:14:02 +0200

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, Mahmood Ahmed wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am using U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Win modem (internal). Is there any way to
>configure it in Linux (RedHat 6.1)?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Mahmood
Mahmood
since it is a winmodem, take a look at
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/19991212a.html

--
Good Luck
Patricia

http://www.crosswinds.net/~beginnerslinux
http://beginnerslinux.org
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15
  4:15pm  up  2:44,  2 users,  load average: 1.66, 1.69, 1.40
Sun Jun 11 16:15:04 CEST 2000

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Wagner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: The Perfect Linux Video Card
Date: 11 Jun 2000 14:29:01 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Ronald Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So I can run 24bbp or 32bbp at 1280x1024 with 16Mb on the card?  I
> see that I can get a 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 from CDW for $119.44.
>
> However, it appears that 3dfx.com only has an X server for RH6.1
> (XFree86-3.3.5).  Since RH6.2 has been out for a month, their lag in
> supporting RH6.2 concerns me a bit.
>
> It appears to me that 3dfx isn't bothering to update their faq or
> support for RH6.2.  So that begs the question, does RH6.2
> (XFree86-3.3.6) support the 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 with 16Mb "out of the
> box"?  Or do I have to stick with RH6.1 if I want to use this card?

I don't know about XFree86-3.3.6, but the .5 works fine.  Based on
your description I have the exact same card in a linux only box.  It
works fine at all color depths 8,15,16,24,32 at least up to 1280x1024
which is my monitor limit.

Ignore all the sub-threads which claim that the voodoo3-3000 will not
do the >16 bit colors, they are bogus.  Having said that there are
issues relating to >16 bit color and full hardware acceleration.  At
least the card is more-or-less modern, so even without full accel it
is reasonably good.  I do not use the special server from 3dfx, it
does not correctly render my (openGL) 3D volume display of
electromagnetic fields, so I just stick to software Mesa and the plain
Xfree.  I have some hope that once the bugs are out the Xfree-4 will
work.

--
Recreational Calculus - Just For Fun!
P.S. "From" header may be bogus, use "Reply-To" or below email address.

From: Tobi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scsi interface doesnt work
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:34:31 +0200

hi klaus,

now the problem is another one. the AZ card seems to be reckognized
by the module g_NCR5380 and i read on the sane homepage, that
you should use it with the options ncr_addr=... and ncr_53c400a=1.
ok... but if i try to insmod it with latter, the kernel says
"device busy" or sth like that. when i leave out the last option
the whole system hangs.
i think the problem has sth to do with the fact, that the AZ card
is not interrupt driven.
in /usr/src/drivers/scsi/README.g_NCR5380 the option ncr_irq is
described, but if i use it as said wih 255, nothin changes...

thank you so long

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Herrman)
Date: 11 Jun 2000 14:37:59 GMT

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:06:31 GMT, Wouter Verhelst
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Could it be that your screen consumes a lot amount of electricity, so that
> if you put it on, the voltage on the net drops for a short moment?
> If that is the case, your modem may misunderstand what happens on your
> telephone line and disconnect...
> Perhaps if you try to connect your screen to another outlet?

Well, the screen gets is power from the power supply in the machine. BUT,
the modem has its own adapter (but it is put at the same electric point
(dutch: stekkerdoos aangesloten op hetzelfde stopcontact in de muur))

I will check it, just a moment!

(i asked my dictionary and it says that outlet = electric point
= stopcontact ;-)

(...)

Problem solved. I put the modem adapter in an other outlet.

Thanks.

Martin

--
Linux Gebruikers Handleiding v1.2 : http://2mypage.cjb.net
Linux RedHat 6.1 Kernel 2.2.14  Toshiba P233 MHz, 32 Mb RAM

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:26:10 GMT

Just a quick update. I've just updated my kernel to 2.4.0-test1 and I'm
getting transfers of around 14mb/sec, which isn't far off what I was
getting before. The main difference I've found is that disk transfers
now seem to take less CPU and the system stays more responsive.

It'd have been nice to have got faster transfers too, but hey, c'est la
vie, I suppose.

Si

From: Tobi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:36:27 +0200

hi and thankx so long

From: Dex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem won't hangup
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 10:47:44 -0400

When I disconnect and try to reconnect, my modem is not hanging up.
I have to disconnect my phone line from the box to hang it up, then it
will dial out fine. Any ideas?

Dex