From: "Christopher Sciullo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux POS Hardware Project
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 04:25:48 GMT

------------------------------

From: The Network Wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux compatible SMP motherboard, reviewed
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 06:50:27 +0200

Bill Henning wrote:

> I've posted a review of the PCChips M750i motherboard - supports dual
CPU's,
> Intel BX chipset, onboard i740 with 8Mb of SDRAM, onboard 3D sound
> (and it is inexpensive!) at my site,    http://www.cpureview.com
>
> It works fine with Linux, I'll be posting a brief article on how to
run Linux
> with an SMP kernel on it shortly. I am using two Celeron 300A's
running at
> 450Mhz (this is a toy box, NOT a production machine; I don't overclock

> production machines).

Do the onboard  2D/3D video controller and 3D PCI Soundpro audio
controller
work fawlessly on a linux box?

thank you again

Pol
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Sciullo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 04:25:49 GMT

=======_NextPart_000_0064_01BEA18E.D7743DE0

We are involved in an International Linux Point of Sale Project.

We sell the POS Hardware.

Read all about it: http://pcpos.hostme.com

Chris

=======_NextPart_000_0064_01BEA18E.D7743DE0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We are involved in an International Linux Point of =
Sale=20
Project.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We sell the POS Hardware.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Read all about it: <A=20
href=3D"http://pcpos.hostme.com">http://pcpos.hostme.com</A></FONT></DIV>=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Chris</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: Kevin Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: what is bus master?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:54:43 -0700

This is rusty.  It is the ability for a PCI card to do its own IO
without generating a processor interrupt... thereby increasing processor
performance (less tasks).  This is especially usefully on PCI-SCSI
adapters which handle a lot of IO.

--
Kevin A. Burton
Internet Guy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Need a program to exercise/test the computer hardware
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:23:13 GMT

> Compiling the kernel would exercise the software installation, but
> what I really need to find out is whether Linux is working properly
> with all the hardware.

That's only partially true; it exercises CPU, RAM, HD, ... .  Since
my initial reply I've found the following in SuSE's Linux 6.1 manual:

  A very popular test for hardware and software is to compile the
  kernel with make -j.  You will need quite a lot of RAM (more
  than 100MB).  This launches a compiler for each source file.

I don't think there is anything like AMI-DIAGNOSTICS for Linux, and
that is a DOS program.  If the hardware works under DOS it should
work under any OS.  That being said: there is no validation suite for
DOS/Win, Linux, ... .

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: Toffol Oliver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ati Rage Fury 128
Date: 19 May 1999 15:30:59 GMT

peter.snabe wrote:

> Hej
>
> I'm the owner of an Ati Rage Fury 128 graphiccard, but I have a
> problem. I'm considering buying Open Linux 2,2 from Caldera Systems,
> but have read that this is card cannot be used with Linux. Is that true?
>
> Please also email me directly because I have some problems reading my
> news pt.

Hello,

Have a look at:

http://ruff.cs.jmu.edu/~beetle/ragefury.htm

they are right!

It WORKS !

But there is 2 littles imprecisions.

1) When they say:

    tar zxvf ...
    mv XF68_FBDev.libc6 /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_FBDev

you must add:

    chmod +x /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_FBDev

2) The XF86Config they give seems to be bad.

The best thing is to use the XF86Config you made with Xconfigurator, even
with a wrong server, but with good mouse, monitor, and so on.

Then you must add these lines:

# Frame Buffer server

Section     "Screen"
    Driver          "FBDev"
    Device         "My Video Card"
    Monitor        "My Monitor"
    Subsection   "Display"
        Modes            "default"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

To make these line, start from another server (vga, svga...), and modify
the Driver line, and respect the names of your Device and your Monitor.
Also, the subsection Display should only contains Modes "defaut".

I succedeed with S.u.S.E 6.1 : kernel 2.2.5.

Of course you cannot zoom (does it matter).

If you want another resolution than 1024x768 you must choose something else
than VGA=791 in /etc/lilo.conf

Let me know, if you succeed. (and other values than 791, i want 1152x864,
which is ok on a good 17").

Good Bye and good luck !

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PCI Modem - lost cause?
Date: 19 May 1999 10:34:49 -0500

In article <7hgvds$n38$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Roberto Leibman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>So, all this talk about winmodems, sounds like a challenge to an experienced
>linux driver programmer out there! Isn't it just a matter of figuring out
>what the modem is expecting the OS to do?

They're all different.  However, if somebody could come up with a USR driver
it would take care of a big chunk of them.  The party that needs to deliver
this driver, or at least the design specifications, is 3COM.  Write them a
letter.  Everybody.  A nice letter.

On the other hand, "what the modem is expecting the OS to do" also raises a
philosophical disagreement.  It's not the OS's responsibility to be part
of a peripheral.  For this reason, probably nobody who *can* would be working
on it.

Besides, who cares about hardware that can only work on intel boxen?
--
James
http://ssdd.conservatory.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: DDS-3 DAT drive
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 14:59:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Chris Mauritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Chris Mauritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>What's the secret to getting a DDS-3 DAT drive to work with linux?
> >>I've tried reading/writing tapes with Redhat 5.2 and Redhat 6.0
> >>using an HP and a Seagate drive without success.
> >>
> >>When I try to read/write tapes, I get:
> >>
> >>tape read error:  Input/output error
> >>
> >>I've compiled SCSI tape support into the kernel (tried both 2.0.36
and
> >>2.2.9) and made sure the device files (/dev/nst0 /dev/st0) exist.

Do you have 'st' (SCSI Tape) support either compiled-in or as a
loadable module.  Check it with 'lsmod'.

Also, you can use 'script' to capture output to a file then edit and
post it.  Include 'dmesg', 'lsmod', exact error message give, ... .

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: "Olivier Deckmyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI HD Spindown
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:05:13 +0200

Hi all,

How can I tell my linux box to spindown my SCSI hard drives after 30minutes
of inactivity ?
I can't get hdparm work, as it looks to be done for IDE drives only.

Please help !

Ps : It would be nice to get a reply copy via mail, as it is not easy for me
to get to the newsgroup.

Olivier Deckmyn,
Paris

------------------------------

From: "Colonel Panic©" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need software for GVC NIC
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 00:52:26 -0400

dave...did you receive the utility i sent ya??

------------------------------

From: Joshua Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Star Office and Office 97 ...
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 22:35:05 -0700

I had problems with it too... BUT

Staroffice 5.1 is out today and it works with redhat 6.0 .  When i went
to download it i had to use the german site because the english one
hadnt been updated yet (good ol' altavista translater).

When you install it will tell you that some files are out of date but if
you just keep going with the install it does work.

--Joshua Martin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam Leinss)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: i'm killed 3 cd-rom drives!!!
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 05:20:26 GMT

On Thu, 20 May 1999 04:05:20 GMT, "Jeremy Prellwitz"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>does anyone know why i keep destroying cd-rom drives while trying to install
>Linux.  i can install Linux (Redhat 5.1 or 5.2) just fine when using my old
>4x cd-rom drive.  but when ever i've tried installing Linux using one of
>those new UDMA drives i've killed it.  i've wrecked a 24x, a 32x and a 36x
>cd-rom drives.
>
>why is this happening????  why is everyting ok with my 4x.

The cd-rom is probably unbalanced and you'll notice that the higher
speed cd-rom have the return of the clips in them, to keep the cd-rom
from flopping around.  I highly doubt that linux is to blame for the
hardware failure of your cd-roms, esp. if they are of the Memorex
brand.  Check the MTBF rattings, most should go at least 30,000 hours
before failing.

Adam

------------------------------

From: "Michael W. Ryder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Disk usage monitoring
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 06:30:15 GMT

Try man(iostat).  This program reports on the activity of the CPU,
terminals, disk drives and CD-ROMs.  You can see the total activity
since boot up by entering iostat or by adding other parameters have it
run for a length of time reporting on the results.  There are other
programs out there discussed in O'Reilly's System Performance Tuning if
you are interested in more details.

Michael W. Ryder
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Wick)
Subject: AHA1542CF very slow
Date: 20 May 1999 06:13:06 GMT

the AHA1542CF on the following machine won't give me more than 1.5MB/s
troughput, is there any trick to get more performance?

D4/100 32Mb ISA-Board with Fast-DMA enabled
AHA1542CF with Synchron, no-disconnect, Fast-SCSI on 6.7MB/s DMA
IBM DPES1080 (alone on the bus)
Debian2.0 Kernel 2.0.36 with the correct AIC-Driver

Bye
Eric

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Build or buy?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:49:54 GMT

killbill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<7hrrfo$8lo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> In article <7hrdho$vun$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > In article <7hq79m$6pa$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > NOW (which is why I was instructed to go out and buy a new machine).
> > > What if I bought a bunch of parts and it took me 2-3 weeks to
> > > get them all working right?  Such a delay would be _EXPENSIVE_.

> >     For an experienced person, a couple of hours should be
> >     sufficient to assemble a PC. But if you are not experienced
> >     and get into problems, you
> >     may require weeks to correct it.

> Not trying to start a flame ware here... but the first estimate (2-3
> weeks) sounds WAY high, and the second estimate (2 hours) sounds WAY
> low.

   I just built a friend a box.  It took 1 hour and 30 minutes from
cardboard to first Windows desktop.  The trick is good companents.  I only
use InWin cases, because the assemble easily.  I like the IBM drives for
IDE, and you don't need SCSI unless you have over 2 drives.
   That said, I also started a box for my self last night.  Defective video
card. <back to store>  Defective CD-Rom.  <back to different store still
open>  Defective heat sink.  <knock off for night>

                        Lee
--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fung Wai Keung)
Subject: Meteor framegrabber card makes my system hangs
Date: 20 May 1999 06:05:55 GMT

Hi all,

        My motherboard is Tyan S1662S PPro w/ 440FX (Natoma) chipset.  I
have 2 Matrox Meteor cards installed on my board.  Often, I encounter the
following error messages after or during accessing my Meteor boards and
the system hangs,

ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0
hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03, sector 66082
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status timeout: status=0xd2 { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0
hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command

hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0
hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0
hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:06, sector 786454
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 03:06): ext2_write_inode: unable to
read i-node block
- inode=97956, block=393227

I think it may be a hardware problem.  Is there any incompatibility
between meteor card and Intel chipset?  How to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Wai Keung, Fung

Department of Mechanical and Automation Engineering,
The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shatin, N.T.,
Hong Kong.

Tel: (852)26098056      Fax: (852)26036002

------------------------------

From: "Catastini Giuseppe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB PCI64V (Legacy driver)
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 08:20:08 +0200

Hello,
I have just installed Debian 2.1, kernel 2.0.36. I was not able to
correctly configure my SB PCI64V (Legacy driver).
I tried to recompile the kernel using the Sound-Blaster Pro
driver (under Win98 I found the Port, DMA and IRQ fro the emulation of
a SB Pro).
The driver is linked correctly to the kernel, but the card is not
recognised (there are no lines between Sound initialization start and Sound
init. complete), in sndstat the driver is between "( )".

I have tried with the isapnptool but it is unable to recognise the card...

Does anyone know if this card works with OSSfree (I can try to install the
2.2.5 kernel)?

Bye,
Giuseppe

------------------------------

From: Tim Brunne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ESS ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive install question.
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:45:57 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Mark Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes no real problems in getting the ESS1868 going under any of the kernel
> I have used since sometime early in the 1.?? kernels.
>
> The documentation that comes with the kernels suggests that the sound
> drivers should be done as modules. I have never had alot of success with
> that but by compiling directly in the kernel using the correct paramters
> works fine.
>
> I am presently running 2.2.5 using the same idea.

I am using a Kapok 1100M Notebook with ESS1868. Sound support works under
Windows 98 but not with Debian GNU/linux 2.1. There is no possibility to
chose I/O, etc. paramters for the sound chip in the BIOS, just using the
parameters used in Windows also with Linux does not work, neither with 2.0.x
nor with 2.2.x kernels. Unfortunately isapnp fails completely as well. The
sound chip is recognized by Linux as a PCI device at 0x3000 with IRQ 5, as
in Windows 98, but not more.

Anybody with a 1100M out there?

Tim