From: "Scot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What Tape Libraries/Autoloader are compatible with Linux?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:12:11 -0500

We are currently considering the purchasing HP's DLT 718 Autoloader
(http://www.automatedbackup.com/Hp718.htm).

  Will the DLT 718 Autoloader work with Linux?
  What software is available that will work with this Autoloader?
  Will Amanda work with this Autoloader?

  We also have a requirement to backup Windows 9x/NT workstations, what software will
allow us to
backup these systems to the Linux Server?

Thanks

Scot

PS. Please send replies to the newsgroup only.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C. C. McPherson)
Subject: Re: FAT32
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 05:28:49 -0400

> Does any know if Linux supports harddisk more than 8M ? I'd like to
> partition my harddisk to 8M for Linux 4M for Windows.
> TIA

I am assuming you mean 8Gigs? Yes it does. For complete instrustions
you should refer to the HOW-TO's, this one should get you started:

http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Large-Disk.html

------------------------------

From: Giulio Orsero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Imation Superdisk
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:25:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ha scritto:

>bios sees an Imation ls120, and works fine under Linux.  My friends
>bios sees a Matshita ls120, and linux just sees an unknown ATAPI
>device, but definately not a "valid block device".  They are both
>internal IDE.  Could linux require different jumper settings.  Sounds

I have a machine on which the ls120 is recognized by bios and linux,
wherever I put the ls120 (primary, secondary, skave....).

Then I take the HD off that machine, and put into another one (P2B
motherboard) and here the ls120 is always recognized by the bios, but
linux sees it _only_ if it's a slave of a master IDE HD.

From: "Illya Kuryakin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Voodoo2 + Matrox G200 Problem?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:31:06 GMT

Hi : )

I have just installed SuSE 6.2 on my system, and I am having problems
getting XF86 to autodetect my Matrox Millenium G200 card.......it simply
refuses to acknowledge the fact that it's there :(

I also have a Voodoo 2 card present, and I was wondering if anybody else has
had any problems with the detection of their Matrox card, or any other card
with the SVGA server when they have a Voodoo 2 card installed ??........

The setup program sets the graphics card to 1024k memory, and this won't
even run the lowest resolution, at the lowest colour depth on the Xwindows
platform :(

Can  anybody please help?

Thanx in advance :)

Illya

NOTE : To mail, check the breakfast in the addy :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: overclocked system?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:52:40 +0100

Tim wrote:

> I was thinking about installing linux on my system which has an
> overclocked 300a to 450 on an Abit bx6 board. I heard linux is more
> "sensitive" to overclocking than windows, but scince I'm not
> overclocking the pci bus (running at the 100 bus) I wondered if people
> had success with it. Thanks.

I have a negative experience. However, I do not have ABIT board. I have
PC100 BX Pro and Linux will not run when I change the bus speed to
100MHz. I have had Windows 95 running on
it for six months without a problem. (It is a 300A Processor).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Document on PnP USR Modems/Request for assistance
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:58:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello! I am a recent Linux user who has recently had a victory in
> installing a USR total plug and play modem, and would like to provide
> assistance to those who are attempting to do the same. I also have a
> request for a way to atoumate the process of my serial/modem setup.
>
> I fought with manuals long and hard, and found a number of items
> extemely useful. I would like to thank the creators of these
documents,
> as without thier assistance I would be unable to explore the world of
> Linux.
>
> My stats are Cel400, ASUS P2-99, Quantum HD (13 and 3), SBAWE32, and a
> USR FCC 4X2USA-25223-M5-E MODEL 0584.
> It is very important that you know the specific model number.
>
> In order to install a modem that is plug and play it is a little more
> tricky than just a normal modem. I found  a number of people claiming
>
> have "heard " of somemone being able to install pnp. It's easy once
you
> know how. It is however a little involved.
>
> To understand the idea of devices that were "COM" ports I suggest the
> following:
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-2.html
>
> This is one of the main documents. Included fine detailed explanations
> one theory, and example on useage.
>
> Once the ideas of /dev/modem, symbolic links, /dev/ttyS* and the
various
> setting these can have you may be able to get a response from
> your modem, but your initalization strings may prevent you from
> activation.  Here is a page specific to USR modems...
>
> http://consumer.3com.com/modem/documents/10563.htm
>
> I would also like to suggest  Maximum Linux A newly released
>
> My problem was that my two PNP cards (SB and USR) were fighting for
IRQ
> 5 during the pnp setup. So I used serialstat to scan my ports
> (ttyS[03] and found that the ready to send was a 1 on my /dev/ttyS2.
> Where I thought it was. I then used modemtool to attach the /dev/modem
> device
> to the ttyS2 symbolicly. I then used setserial to set the IRQ to 11,
> which I knew previously. When I opened kppp, I set the DNS Primary
> and Secondary, PAP, device was /dev/modem, speed to the speed listed
by
> setserial -a /dev/modem (this is important), and phone, login,
password.

> Now init string for the modem was tricky I had already got the modem
> query to work, but I had to play with the init string quite a bit to
> tune it.
> Eventually success caused me to be able to write this message from a
> Linux OS, with Netscape. Joy. I have even used the pnpdump -c -s
> /dev/isapnp.set
> to make a script that once run will set the cards. But I want to
> automate this into the startup sequence. Could someone point me in the
> right direction for this?
> I would greatly appreciate any help.
>
> If you have a similar modem, post in regard, I will respond. I have
> limited knowledge of the Linux system, I am running in Mandrake-Red
Hat
> 6.0
> I have taken a week of a crash course in Linux to get this modem
going.

> I also have a problem with LILO. My MBR isn't in the first 1024
> cylinders. I don't know why, or how to account for this. I would
rather
> not have to use a boot disk. Even when I use the Linear option all I
get
> is "LI" during the boot and it freezes. I used fdisk /mbr  to fix it.
>
> Anyway I appologize if there was any misposting, I am attempting to
put
> this in the right newsgroup. Please cc solutions to my email.
>
> Thanks from this new Linux convert.
>
> Entropy.
>
> I also have a USR modem model 3090 ( which I found out later is a USR
1749 python ). This is a pnp isa modem. I found out it was easier to
set the jumpers on the board to com3 and irq4, which are the default
settings for ttyS2 (com3). After I did this I queried the modem and it
worked. The pnp for these modems doesn't work very good. I spent a
month and a half struggling with this before I did it this way, and
found it to be much easier to do.

From: "Josep M. Gorro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with IDE disk
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:12:47 +0200

For anyone interested in this post read the case number 990907-0036 in the
RedHat support knowledgebase

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Subject: Re: UDMA on Ali Aladin V chipset?
Date: 17 Sep 1999 22:14:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Peter Stein wrote:
>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Try:
>> >
>> >http://www.ali.com.tw
>> >
>> >They have a beta driver. I installed it and it works.
>>
>> By "works" you mean that:
>>
>> 1. You've verified that you get UDMA performance.
>> 2. The driver stays in UDMA mode.
>> 3. The system log shows no errors.
>
>Tell me what to do and I'll send you the results. So far all I have is hdparm
>version 3.5.
>
>Glenn Shorrock

No need to send anything I was just wondering if you checked.
I would do the following:

1. Check dmesg and what hdparm reports right after booting.
2. Run the hdparm read test.
3. If everything is roses we should still be operating in UDMA
   at this point. Copy a large file.
4. Check hdparm again, this time we're checking to see if UDMA
   was disabled as a result of the writes.
5. Check /var/log/messages for any driver errors (there shouldn't
   be any).
6. You might want to check /var/log/messages periodically, but
   it probably isn't neccessary since a single large file copy
   should stress the driver sufficiently to expose any write
   problems.

I downloaded this driver last night, but haven't had the chance to
install it yet. I would be interested in whether or not we get
similar results on different P5A-B systems. BTW, you did set UDMA
in the BIOS, correct? I ask because there has been a difference of
opinion on how (if at all) the BIOS setting influences the driver.
I do have DMA working flawlessly with the previously available Ali
driver, but I had to set DMA in BIOS (DMA would not work with UDMA
set, weird).

Peter Stein

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (T. Shaw)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: using framebuffers with the intel 830
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:43:48 GMT

Nope.. just started to work with it since wed. I also tried to do the
exact same thing on another computer withthe same motherboard and got
the "/dev/fd0" problem and not the one previously.. whats funny is
that the readme's and howto's mention nothing on troubleshooting this
problem.. I'm running a Redhat 6.0 distro. at work ( where i'm
attempting this) I run slackware at home.. i'm wondering if its a
redhat issue( possible glibc2?)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:51:34 +0100, "Shaun Richman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have near enough the same problem.  My binary does not use the
symbolic
>link but it fails to find the /dev/fb0 device-- which does exist.  I
even
>recreated it to check and still the same problem.
>
>Have you managed to resolve it???
>
>Terrelle Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Hello all..
>> looking to see if anyone have successfully used framebuffers to
bring up
>> an decent X session on a motherboard with internal chipset Intel
830?
>> I'm geting an error when trying to start X:
>> "Fatal server error: xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/fb0current
(no
>> such device) "
>>
>> when there is a symbolic link /dev/fb0current pointing to /dev/fb0
>> ( e.g. /dev/fb0current -> /dev/fb0 )
>>
>> Anyone knows some work around? I thought this would be a work
around
>> from the non X server issue for this graphics chip on the
motherboard.

>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks..
>>
>> Terrelle

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The time is near..."

------------------------------

From: "Kevin M Francis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com 3C905 C-TXM
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:20:08 -0500

After a couple of tries I was able to get it to work using the "C" file from
a NASA site

"3c59x.c version .99L". Download this file and then assemble it using his
instructions found

on his howto page.  Place the driver in the correct directory for you Linux
versions modules.

I am using Mandrake 6.0 and after compling and placing the file in the
correect directory I used netconf program to add adapter to basic host
information page. Using eth0 and 3c59x.o with no i/o or irq options driver
is installed and install automaticly at boot.  Looking at the messages file
in "/var/log/messages" I can see a checksum error for the loading of the
driver, I am assuming this is an checksum on the type of board.  Other than
that board seems to be working.

    If you have not purchased the board yet, I would recomend finding
another nic board that is listed in the hardware list of the Linux version
your are using.

    Only other problem that started after I was able to get the 3c905c-TX
board working is the Sound Blaster Audio PCI 64D series board stop
responding.  I found a esound..rpm package in one the FTP sites and loaded
it and the sound is working again.

    for Referance the system is a Gateway PIII 550Mhz with a Viper 770 TNT2,
Sound Blaster Audio PCI 64D, 3Com 3C905C-TX NIC, MS Wheel Mouse.  These are
only the cards that each required there own little tweaking to get them to
work.

here is the site to start from on getting the driver's "C" file
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
the address for the file
ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/3c59x.c
the address for instructions on compiling
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/modules.html

Hope this helps

From: Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1.3 Linux, any way to get SIS530 graphic card to work?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:11:43 +0100

Silicon Integrated Systems have a web site, can't remember the URL
right now, but Yahoo or Altavista should provide. On this web site are
replacment XSVGA servers.

Other board manufactures TAKE NOTE PLEEEAASE !!!!

Kevin.

------------------------------

From: "Dan Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0 on a Dell Latitude Laptop
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:16:33 -0700

HTRDNCK wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I am trying Linux for the first time and am having trouble cofiguring the
>video card and network card in my laptop. It is a Dell Latitude XPICD
>laptop.  The "built-in" video card is a neomagic.  It was listed in the
>choices provided by the install.  The laptop is docked with a Dell
Ultrascan
>1000hs trinitron monitor.  When I attempt to configure the Xwindows driver
>the monitor blinks out and will not come back on.  I remove the laptop from
>the dock and open and the screen on the laptop, it looks like a serious
case
>of horizontal hold problem.

It sounds like you may be using the wrong Xserver for the neomagic.  Get the
XBf servers from precision insight.
http://www.precisioninsight.com/products.html
ftp://ftp.precisioninsight.com/pub/precisio/XFCom/README.neomagic

>The second problem is with my NIC.  It is a PCMCIA 3com 3c574-tx card.  I
>can not get a provided driver(in the list) to work with the card.  The card
>in the docking station works fine. It is a 3com 3c509.

According to the RedHat Compatibility site the driver for the 3c574 is
buggy, but to try to get it working you should try the following.  Make sure
you have pcmcia installed.  Then trying running the following command.

insmod 3c574_cs.o

It should then recognize the card.

------------------------------

From: Josh Gentry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: adaptec AHA-2940 U2W
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:22:50 -0700

Folks,

Anyone know if the Adaptec AHA-2940 U2W scuzi controller is
supported by Linux?

Josh

From: Josh Gentry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:09:51 -0700

Thank you for your response.  That is very helpful.

Josh

From: "Jeffrey B. Rothman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Yamaha 6416S with Linux
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:58:02 -0700

Does anyone have any experience with the Yamaha 6416S under Linux?  I'm
putting together a system, but I haven't seen any info on this
particular cdwriter.  It's not in any of the compatibility lists I've
seen, but it's a relatively new drive.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Rothman

------------------------------

From: mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What TV Tuner Card.
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 00:14:58 +0000

mark wrote:

> Hi,
>     Is it possible to use a TV Tuner card under Linux. If so which one I
> don't want to end up which one of these windoze things !!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mark

I think I've just found the answer to my own question.
    Check out :

     http://www.thp.uni-koeln.de/~rjkm/linux/bttv.html
    (For the driver)

    and

    http://www.in-berlin.de/User/kraxel/xawtv.html
    (For an app)

In case anyone wants to know...

Mark

------------------------------

From: Larry Ozarow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Requiring Custom kernel to install Debian
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:33:52 GMT

Aaron Daniels wrote:

> I am installing debian 2.1 off a bootable CD but to see my hard disks I need to boot
>off a
> custom kernel that has my raid controler compiled in which I have created on another
>debian
> machine, is there a command I can type in at the Debian boot prompt to get it to
>load off my
> kernel, I have tried boot=/dev/fd0 and that doesnt work.
>
> also I can boot directly off my floppy which has my kernel on it but if I do that
>then I have no
> root filesystem,
>
> Any ideas are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron

You can fix the last problem by using rdev to change your boot kernel's notion of where
the root system lives. My impression is that by default a compiled kernel has as its
default root
location the location of the root partition at the time it's compiled. If you compiled
the kernel
on another machine this would explain the problem. Do "man rdev" to see how to fix the
kernel
image, then you can write it to floppy and boot.

Larry

------------------------------

From: Nils Freese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printer, was: Drucker ohne Lizenz zum Drucken
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:29:16 +0200

Hi,

[...]
> What might be wrong when the printer does not print and tunelp says:
> printer status 255, printer out of paper, on-line

[...]
> The printer is a HP Laserjet 5 MP and the computer comes with RedHat 5.2 and
> kernel 2.2.12. With my older computer under Debian 2.0 and 2.1 printing
> works without problems (the older computer does not support IEEE 1284).

Some questions:

--Does your kernel support printing on the parallel-port at all ?
  (is this feature compiled into the kernel or does the module "`lp"'
exist ?)

--Did you configure your /etc/printcap correctly, since there was
  a change in /dev/lp0 and /dev/lp1 from kernel 2.0.x to kernel 2.2.x ?
  As far as I remember, the first printer-port ist now /dev/lp0.

--Did you do any weird changes in the mainboard-BIOS concerning the
lp-port ?
  (You mentioned something of IEEE1284.)

Just check this out.

regards,