Linux-Hardware Digest #282, Volume #10           Thu, 20 May 99 15:13:39 EDT

Contents:
  Re:How to get Diamond MX300 Sound Card to work? (Tim Smith)
  Re: PCI Modem - lost cause? (David A. Rogers)
  Laptop touchpad movement in X window limit to a certain portion of the  (Hanley Loo)
  Creative  Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16Mb/AGP (Andrew)
  Re: Star Office and Office 97 ... (Aaron and Hifumi)
  Re: Where to buy Symbios SCSI controllers? (Michael Meissner)
  Re: 3com509b not found at bootup ("Charles Larry")
  Re: EPSON Stylus Color 900 Driver? (Dale Pontius)
  Re: OMNIS Studio RAD Tool available on Linux soon....... (Thomas L|fgren)
  RealAudio Player and Diamond: Stealth II S220 (Trister)
  Re: What's a WINMODEM??? (Andrew Comech)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Dave Harris)
  eth error messages (-???-)
  Invalid Partition Table (help requested) ("M.V. Ramana")
  Re: mouse, gpm and X (Patrik Vahtras)
  Re: IDE faster than SCSI UW? (Andy Longton)
  Gateway (ensoniq 1373 on-board sound drivers?) ("Kid Charlemagne")
  Re: Linux on Dual Pentium-II machines (Swietanowski Artur)
  Re: tyan tsunami? (A Guy Called Tyketto)
  Re: modem trouble (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Osvaldo
Pinali Doederlein")
  3com nic drivers for EtherLink OfficeConnect ("George")
  UDMA under Linux 2.2.5 on Asus P5A-b (Ali M15xx chipset) (Peter Stein)
  Re: help with my modem pleas (Henrik Carlqvist)

From: Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re:How to get Diamond MX300 Sound Card to work?
Date: 20 May 1999 12:24:35 GMT

In article [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        Ken Salter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I have a Diamond MX300 Sound Card (Aureal 2.0 Chip) and I would like to
>get it to work with Linux.  This is the last piece of hardware I have
>that doesn't work with Linux.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
>TIA,
>Ken Salter

No solution yet. Some companies refuse to disclose the required info
for Linux driver development and also refuse to do the drivers themselves.
There are drivers being worked on, but they'll probably not be ready any
time soon. This is not Diamond's fault, it's the fault of the chipset company
(Aureal). BTW: they are by no means the only guilty party...most hardware
vendor have sold their souls to Microsoft and only support whichever versions
of Windows they are told to support. If only they'd been wearing their aluminum
foil hats to ward off the mid control rays from Redmond... <grin>

I also have one of these cards and am awaiting a solution.

-Tim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David A. Rogers)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PCI Modem - lost cause?
Date: 19 May 1999 20:18:31 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999 09:50:51 -0700, Roberto Leibman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> speaketh saying:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:7hulmp$1f6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <7hgvds$n38$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Roberto Leibman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On the other hand, "what the modem is expecting the OS to do" also raises
>> philosophical disagreement.  It's not the OS's responsibility to be part
>> of a peripheral.  For this reason, probably nobody who *can* would be
>working
>> on it.
>
>I have to disagree with this, as the constraint in computing power moves
>around, from i/o bound to processor bound to memory bound to disk bound to
>bandwith bound, the "right" partitioning philosophy changes as well. I think
>we are at a time where we most people have a lot of extra capacity in their
>CPU's (most of the time anyway), it makes engineering sense to download some
>of the processing chore to the less stressed CPU, particularly if this can
>bring the price of the peripherals down. System partitioning does not have
>hard rules such as "It's not the OS's responsibility", granted modularity
>should be sought after, but other things do enter the equation. Also,
>remember that 3COM (and others) are in business to make money, not to cater
>to "fringe" markets, I don't blame them for producing the WinModem, It's a
>GREAT idea on their part, I do blame computer makers for not clearly stating
>that its what in the box when you buy it clearly stating that you *want* to
>install Linux on it! We might be unhappy about it, but think of how many
>people have gotten access to the net with the savings that WinModem's
>produce!

I don't buy it.  I've got a 133 and I want all of those cycles
being used for their intended purpose.  Even if I had a 450, I don't want some
rube-goldberg peripheral slowing it down.

Regards,
dar

------------------------------

From: Hanley Loo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Laptop touchpad movement in X window limit to a certain portion of the
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 22:11:19 +0800

Hi,
    Anybody out there can help me. I'm installing linux on my laptop. I
can only get the touchpad to work in the upper left area of the X window
interface. All the rest of the area is restricted. I have tried killing
gpm and disabling it. But it doesn't help. I have check the X86config
file, the configuration of the mouse is correct.

Please any kind soul out there, help me.

With regards
Hanley

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew)
Subject: Creative  Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16Mb/AGP
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:09:16 GMT

I have a Creative Lab's Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16MB/AGP card on
Suse 6.1 and was curious how to run the Quake 3 test. Apparently there
are no device drivers for cards without the 3dfx chip on them. I was
curious if Mesa (www.mesa.org) will allow me to do this. Any help
would be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Aaron and Hifumi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Star Office and Office 97 ...
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:57:47 -0400

Your best bet is to download the new Staroffice 5.1 that was just
released yesterday. I know I know... it's a 72meg download, but it works
like a charm. I was having the same troubles as you, trying to set up
links to old libraries, etc.... It's easier just to bite the bullet and
get the newest version.

Aaron

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Where to buy Symbios SCSI controllers?
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 May 1999 12:29:25 -0400

hoang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello-
>
> You can get SYMBIOS SCSI controller through DTC. Their web page
> is www.datatechnology.com. I have two DTC controllers and i encountered
> something that i don't understand yet. I suggest that you read
> comp.os.linux.hardware for my post.
>
> Hoang
>

> Mark H. Wood wrote:
> >
> > People talk about NCR/Symbios/LSI Logic SCSI controllers, but where do
> > they buy them?  None of my usual suppliers list them.
> >
> > --
> > Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Specializing in unusual perspectives for more than twenty years.

If you want to buy SCSI controllers that have the LSI Logic (nee Symbios nee
NCR) chipset in them (as opposed to Symbios branded SCSI controllers), I would
suggest looking at TekRam controllers.  Note the TekRam 390 without a suffix
does not use the LSI Logic chipset (it uses an AMD chipset, and can't handle
Ultra speeds), but the other 390 models do use the LSI chipset.  Comp-U-Plus
(http://www.compuplus.com/) has the 390F (ultra-wide controller with a 53C875
chip) controller for $70, and the 390U2W (ultra2-wide controller with a 53C895
chip) controller for $161.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3

------------------------------

From: "Charles Larry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com509b not found at bootup
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:35:31 -0700

Hi,

What worked for me was using the configuration program from the installation
disk to let the NIC configure itself.  That solved the address problem.

Charles
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message ...
>  Hi,
>
> I have a linux system already up and running for a while (Redhat 5.2 ,
2.0.36-0.7).
>I now want to add a network card to connect 2 linux boxes at home.  1
reason is for convenience (2 /home's is killing me).  Besides, I figured
that for the price of 2 inexpensive network cards it would be a great
learning experience to set up this, albeit simple, LAN.  So, I bought a
couple of 3com509b's off ebay.

>However, they are not recognized at bootup.  One of the systems has NO
other ISA cards in it.  Just an onboard SCSI adapter (adaptec 3940UW) and an
external modem-so all those issues with the sound blaster and 3c509b are
N/A.  I used the DOS utility with the card to 1) Turn off the PnP stuff
2)set the IRQ to an number (7) not used by anything
>else in my system.  3) The address is set to 300h (from DOS utility) I
didn't change that as I had no reason to.

>I used the kernel daemon configurator to set a device "eth" as "eth0",
"3com509" and
>irq=7, io=0x300.  Now, /etc/conf.modules has  options eth0 io=0x300 irq=7
alias eth0 3c509

>At bootup there is nothing about the card at all. It is not in
/proc/interrupts or /proc/net/dev.  I read that perhaps there is an address
conflict, but the /proc/ioports
>has the following which are close to the 0x300  (if I'm mapping these
correctly-I don't know if 300h means 0x300 means 0300)
>02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
>03c0-03df : vga+
>
>I bought these cards because they are 1) fully supported and 2)
inexpensive.  I know they must be able to work, but I'm not sure how to do
that.  I shouldn't really need to build a new kernel with support built into
the card

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Pontius)
Subject: Re: EPSON Stylus Color 900 Driver?
Date: 20 May 1999 15:56:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Michael Maechtel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone have experiences with this printer and linux?
> Is it possible to use uniprint with this device?

Maybe. There is no configuration file to use this printer with
Uniprint. It should be possible to make one, though. I wrote
the Uniprint config file for the Epson 740, using the 600 and
800 files as a guide. The 900 should be about the same level
of effort. One exception, because of the jet pitch on the 900,
I don't know how to even start writing a micro-weaving pattern
for 360*360. 720*720 and 720*1440 shouldn't be that bad.

I gave some basic information to someone a month or two ago
who was asking about the 900. I have no idea what happened or
whether he simply traded the printer in. If you're interested
in pursuing this further, despam my address and email me.

You can at least get off the ground with the 'stcany' Uniprint
config.

Dale Pontius
(NOT speaking for IBM)

comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os
Subject: Re: OMNIS Studio RAD Tool available on Linux soon.......
From: Thomas L|fgren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 May 1999 11:43:53 +0200

And we all hope your skills at software development is up to par with
your netiquette.  I fail to see what this has to do with hardware,
m68k, networking, portable, powerpc, security, setup or operating
systems.  Maybe you didn't read the charters.  Maybe we won't buy your
software.  Get a fucking clue.
--
T. Lofgren - Wherever I lay my .emacs, that's my ${HOME}
These opinions are mine, not yours.  Get your own damn opinions.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trister)
Subject: RealAudio Player and Diamond: Stealth II S220
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:43:25 GMT

        I just wanted to know do anyone else get a decompression error when
ever they tries to use RA player under X11. I thought i was some Libs but
those could be the problem.

--
 -= What you need to know is what i can't tell ya but if you =-
 -= Tell me what i need to know i'll leave you alone!!       =-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: What's a WINMODEM???
Date: 19 May 1999 17:53:54 -0500

On Wed, 19 May 1999 15:36:00 -0500, Daryl W. Champagne wrote:
>Can anyone tell me with 100% certainty that a Diamond SupraMax 56K PCI modem is a
>winmodem?
>
>I believe it is and now I'm very pissed because the packaging doesn't say
>its a winmodem and if I would have known that I would not have bought the damn
>thing!
>
>DEATH TO WINMODEMS!!!!!

Hi,

Given this inability of Linux to use hardware with lacking specifications,
we should have been more careful about the terminology...

I COULD SAY THAT THERE ARE NO WINMODEMS ON THE MARKET. Only a few modems are
occasionally called this way. More than two thirds of modems which are not
supported (lack of specifications) are not marked as winmodems.

Non-supported modems are:
1. controllerless modems aka HCF (Host Controlled Family)
2. software modems aka softmodems or HSP (Host Signal Processing) modems
3. DSP (Digital Signal Processing) modems
4. modems with USB interface
5. RPI modems (obsolete)

In particular, all _currently available_ PCI modems are not supported.

Support for modems from some of these categories may become available soon;
some of them could even be used after having been initialized under Windows...
But they are _not supported_ by Linux.

Perhaps we should not call modems from the above categories `winmodems'
because this is not what's going to be on a box, and this becomes really
confusing. (By the way, this is silly to call a `winmodem' something which
does not work under Win3.1)

Better call them nonmodems, since they have fewer and fewer parts of
what used to be considered a `modem'...

a.

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Harris)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 18:21 +0100 (BST)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Bartman) wrote:
> >In the new perfect OS, each component would have just enough privilege
> >to do its job. This still has great scope for problems - a faulty file
> >system for example, could cause havok - but there is no inherent reason
> >why, say, a Com port driver should be able to crash the system.
>
> Agreed, though the need for speed sometimes precludes this level of
> isolation.

Of course, that's where languages like Modula 3 and Java come in. They can
be checked for safety once, before run time, and then be allowed to run at
full speed without further checks.

I think Mach and other microkernels fail because they do the checks at run
time and it is too slow. Spin uses this different approach. It is nice and
modular and secure at the source-code level, and then they feed it into a
compiler which produces a god-awful mess of machine code - breaking
encapsulation all over the place, inlining code, binding dynamic calls
statically, partially evaluating where ever it can. It's OK because humans
never need to look at the machine code and the compiler knows what it is
doing. Rather like HotSpot.

Spin uses Modula 3. Something similar ought to be possible for a
Java-based OS.

  Dave Harris, Nottingham, UK | "Weave a circle round him thrice,
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |   And close your eyes with holy dread,
 http://www.bhresearch.co.uk/ |   And drunk the milk of Paradise."

------------------------------

From: -???- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eth error messages
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 19:05:35 +0200

Hi there,

i'm getting these error messages on my console:

eth0: mismatched read page pointers xx vs yy

where xx and yy are hex numbers. Does anyone what might be causing
this??

BTW: i'm using a 3com 3c503 ethernet card.

greetz,

IT

--
Wie het laatst lacht, heeft een trage verbinding!
Linux 2.2.6 #4 Wed May 5 22:52:58 CEST 1999

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:30:29 -0500
From: "M.V. Ramana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Invalid Partition Table (help requested)

Hi,

I want to edit some of my paritions (to create a "test partition" for RH
6.0) on my (6195MB hard drive).

I tried to use DOS fdisk, and it apparently went into an infinite loop.
Linux "fdisk" gives the following partition table:

*********
Using /dev/hda as default device!

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 839 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1      277  2094088+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hda2           278      838  4241160    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           555      770  1632928+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hda6           771      838   514048+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hda7           278      291   105777   83  Linux native
/dev/hda8           292      427  1028128+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda9           428      522   718168+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda10          523      539   128488+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda11          540      554   113368+  83  Linux native
**********

and "cfdisk" gave the error message:

                       FATAL ERROR: Bad logical partition
                          Press any key to exit fdisk

The drive came (on my Dell Inspiron 3200) came pre-partitioned
(2G (hda1), 2G (hda[7-11]), 1.5G (hda5), .5G (hda6)), and I originally
installed Linux (RH 5.2) on the second 2G partition.
(I have windows 98 (arghhh...) installed on /dev/hda1)

It looks like someone (at Dell) created an extended partition (hda2)
and further sub-paritioned this into three logical drives. And,
I am guessing that the extended partition is pointing to itself
(thus putting DOS fdisk into an infinite loop?).

I am not very familiar with the details of partitioning etc,
and will appreciate if someone can infer the precise problem
(if that is possible to do) from the Part. table and suggest
possible fixes  (at my risk, of course).

Also, on a related note, is it possible to (nondestrucitvely) "pull out"
hda5 and hda6 from the extended partition and change their
status to regular primary or secondary partitions?

Thanks in advance.

-Ram

------------------------------

From: Patrik Vahtras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mouse, gpm and X
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 00:27:10 +0200

/dev/gpmdata din't work for me either
but for some reason is this working:
gpm uses /dev/mouse which points to ttyS0
XF86Config says /dev/ttyS0
and no need for gpm -k
----
Mine 3-button logitech is over 10 years old and I love it.

------------------------------

From: Andy Longton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE faster than SCSI UW?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:20:21 -0400

Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: jwk wrote:
:> first, for real-life benchmarking, try bonnie.

: And where can I get it?

Use and bookmark www.filewatcher.org.   There are dozens (hundreads?)
of places that have it, and it's small (below 30K gzipped).

------------------------------

From: "Kid Charlemagne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gateway (ensoniq 1373 on-board sound drivers?)
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:38:57 GMT

would anyone out there happen to know if these drivers exist or not?  any
info would be appreciated.  tx.

------------------------------

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux on Dual Pentium-II machines
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:20:56 +0200

mumford wrote:
> You're requesting info about building a number crunching system... I'm
> almost positive that you could expect a significant performance hit be-
> cause of the decreased cache size if you chose celerons instead of true
> P-II's (celerons have 128K cache, true P-II's have 512K).

All evidence to the contrary so far (in the number crunching field).
There is a noticable-to-big performance hit if you have *no* L2 chache,
as it was the case with older Celerons (prior to 300A and 333 models,
I think). Blocking methods in numerical linear algebra asymptotically
reach towards the achieveable peak performance with the cache growth,
but at 128KB cache they are pretty damn close.

Also, L2 cache of Celerons works at twice the speed of PII L2 cache.
Depending on your examples, you may sometimes even get a better
performance from a Celeron! (I take this info from previous
discussions on the PII vs. Celeron -- search Dejanews for the
original posts).

Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A Guy Called Tyketto)
Subject: Re: tyan tsunami?
Date: 20 May 1999 13:15:10 -0500

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem trouble
Date: 20 May 1999 13:24:28 -0400

Dharmesh Patel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>     I'm a beginer in Linux.. I  am using KDE .I'm trying to go online
> via the KPPP setup. The problem is that Quering the modem only gives me
> either "Modem not found" or "Modem busy" I have tried all the ports(
> although I'm using com2 ie.ttyS1). Also I face a similar problem on NT
> which of course detects the modem but has a conflict with the IRQ of the
> mouse. I really doubt that I have a hardware proble as all else works
> fine under Win98. I really have no one else to ask. I hope you solve
> this problem of mine.I'm using:

since you do not say what your modem is and you talk about com2, i
assume you are talking about an external modem.

can minicom talk to ttyS1?  do the lights on the modem ever blink and
flash?

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: "Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:20:00 +0200

Dave Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Of course, that's where languages like Modula 3 and Java come in. They can
> be checked for safety once, before run time, and then be allowed to run at
> full speed without further checks.

Looks like a good idea, but you can't trust in binaries you didn't compile
yourself, right?  Or do you have bytecodes for Modula3?  I would NEVER use
an OS where I'm supposed to download a small shareware from the Net
(available in compiled form only) and this code may be malicious or simply
produced by a broken compiler, and bring down the whole party over here.

> Spin uses Modula 3. Something similar ought to be possible for a
> Java-based OS.

I skinned picoJava's documentation, as you may know they have lots of new
bytecodes there to make possible pure Java OS on javachips.  Bytecodes to do
raw memory access, calls, unsigned integers etc.  These new bytecodes are
all prefixed by 0xFF if I remember well; and they can only be used by
privileged code, although I didn't check how would that work, but I suppose
the verifier could do all the work so we don't even need kernel/user modes
in the hardware.  Looks like a great idea because there is no context switch
at all; all overhead is again in loading time.  User code can just call a
method from some kernel object, and this is a normal Java method invocation;
some methods would need to check the application's access rights but these
methods are also usually in "frontier" situations (like opening a file) and
not in the bulk of processing (like each write operation), again we kill
lots of overhead.

------------------------------

From: "George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com nic drivers for EtherLink OfficeConnect
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:12:24 -0600

I'm looking for drivers for the 3Com etherlink officeconnect 3CSOHO100-TX
nic.

George

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: UDMA under Linux 2.2.5 on Asus P5A-b (Ali M15xx chipset)
Date: 19 May 1999 18:22:50 GMT

Anyone have success with this?

When I ran 'make xconfig' no options came up for Ali M15xx.
I thought I saw several posts that mentioned UDMA for Ali M15xx
was available in the 2.2 kernels.

I am aware of www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma
but this page is very sparse on information. It assumes visitors
are familiar with the Linux UDMA history and know exactly what
they're looking for.

Using 'patch' for updates is alien to me (why not just TAR or RPM
the source?). Can I apply the 2.2.9 patch to  2.2.5 ? If not,
where do I find the source for 2.2.5 ? Web and dejanews searches
have not turned up anything other than the vanderbilt URL and the
UDMA HOWTO (which isn't helpful for Ali).

Peter Stein

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with my modem pleas
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:11:25 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> when I 'm a usual user mincom refuese and says it can't access the
> lock file ...

Minicom creates a file /var/lock/LCK..modem which contains a text
looking something like this:

15034 minicom henca

The first number is the pid of minicom. The last word is the username of
the user which started minicom. Make sure that usual users are able to
create files in /var/lock.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback: