  Re: Trident 975 (sideband)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Crossposted-To: ,comp.os.linux.setup,,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Storage Plus Sp1300 Scsi host adaptor
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 00:31:26 -0400

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:41:00 -0400, B'ichela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       Looking at this card carefully. Like the Trantor T130B I had
>(uh oh, sounds trantorish), it does not provide termpower to the scsi
>chain! it also provides the standard Mac 25 pin Scsi port on the back!
        Just a correction to my post. I carefully traced the term
power pin on the 50 pin scsi connector and it is connected via a fuse
and diode to the 5vdc of the isa connector! (my goof as the fuse looks
like a resistor). If it were not for the fact that it is labled f1 I
would not have known that (slapping forehead).

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: "Stefan Viljoen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trident 975
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 08:04:46 +0200

WF <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I tried to install RH6.2 on my computer with a Trident 975 AGP chipset and
> it won't do graphic install... I
> installed earlier on on Mandrake 6.5 and I get similar problems... X just
> either freezes or the resolution really sucks on a generic driver. Anyone
> has encountered this problem before? My monitor is not a listed monitor
but
> I keyed in every information as stated in the manual but to no avail...
Hope
> to ehar from some kind soul... been really stuck with this problem for a
> long time already. Thanx in advance.

Trident strikes again... I have the same problem as have 4 guys who posted
in here recently.

Why is the 3DImge 975 even listed as compatible with X? It isn't, at least
not without major work...

Regrads,

Stefan Viljoen

--
Starwars Forever!!!

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.intekom.com/rylan/

------------------------------

From: newly minted linux mofo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Entry-level server
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:59:58 -0700

I got drafted into building a server for a cash-poor startup.  I'm
considering the following, and was wondering if I could get feedback as
to the appropriateness of my choices...  The box is going to be serving
up PHP scripted pages through Apache, pulling data from a MySQL database
(limited updates, so the bottlenecks of MySQL table-locks on writes
won't be much of an issue).  We're looking at RedHat Linux, for the ease
with which it can be remotely administered and updated.  There will also
be some CGI on the box, written in 'C' and compiled.  (Not my department
;)  I'm thinking the following:

+ Abit BH6 and dual Celerons, the fastest we can afford.  (The cost
difference between the Celeron solution and the preferred PIII solution
is substantial, and my boss doesn't want to spend it until traffic
levels warrant it; the thinking is that by then we'll be able to afford
it, or at least justify the expense.)  Will this be reliable?  When/if
we move to a dual-PIII, we'll keep the dual-Celeron box online as a
backup.

+ 256 - 512MB RAM, PC100 (so we can migrate it to the new server when it
goes online)

+ (2) 45GB Maxtor or IBM 7200 RPM IDE drives (I know the reasons to
prefer SCSI, our pocketbook prefers IDE.)
+ Either the DupliDisk (http://www.arcoide.com/ddpci.htm) or the
Escalade 3W-5200L
(http://www.thelinuxstore.com/perl-bin/details.pl?id=1222) for RAID-1
mirroring.  RAID 5 SCSI when traffic dictates.
+ (2) Kingston NICs with Tulip chips, as lurking here has uncovered rave
reviews of the actual Tulip chipset; only one interface would be "up"
the other would come up if the downstream router was not ping'able.

Basically, I'm trying to eliminate single (likely) points of failure on
a very limited budget.  (Trying to stay under $2000 for the whole thing,
the lower the better.  :(    I'm sort of new at all of this stuff, so I
figured I'd beg an opinion of the experts, if y'all wouldn't mind.

Thanks!

Mike

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A good IDE
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:59:20 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Larry Ebbitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:>
:> what is the best IDE for Linux ?
:>

: It is very much a matter of personal taste.  If you like a GUI, Kdevelop is
: quite good and getting better rapidly. If you like the green-screen stuff,
: emacs is powerful and many people use vi.

Allow me to play "devil's advocate" for a moment:
the Linux shell environment is patterned (very closely) after the
Unix shell environment.

Unix (and its shell environment) **IS an IDE!**

It was intended by its developers as a convenient and friendly
environment for developers and other users to work.

That's why it provides useful tools like editors, compilers, linkers,
debuggers.

Unix was intended to be an example of the "small is beautiful" school
of thought, where many small tools could be interconnected in various
ways to accomplish large goals. The very idea of a large "Integrated
anything" is anti-unix!

Having said that, i realize that a lot of people are accustomed to (having
grown up with or at least been spoiled by) the massive environments
provided by MS or Borland or others which contain everything INCLUDING
the kitchen sink, and don't (want to) know how to do it any other way,
or just find it easier to use.

personally, I find things like VC++'s IDE to be so massive that I can't
find what I want... too many windows, toolbars, drop-downs, pushbuttons,
whatever cluttering up the screen so that the text window I'm trying
to see gets about 1/4 of the screen and stuff I'm NOT looking at is
wasting all the remaining real-estate.

I personally tend to use 3 (or so) virtual consoles with an editor in
one, compilation in one, debugger in one, and just flip back and forth.
Or I sometimes open up 3 shell windows in X and do the same thing there.
Lots of people recommend using DDD for a debugger,... I'm sure its good
though I haven't yet tried it. I have used xxgdb and find it to be a
decent wrapper around gdb, which is helpful compared to command-mode-only
access to gdb.

YMMV!

Fred

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

------------------------------

From: "Frank Isaacs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Entry-level server
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 07:53:16 GMT

I am only a few days into my own Linux experience, but I can tell you this:
your definition of "entry-level" is quite a bit higher than mine!

Here's what I put together: an Abit VA6 MB, 64 MB of RAM (I'm waiting for
another 128 to arrive), 1.6 GB HD (not a typo!), Pentium-II 233 MHz
processor, Asante 10/100 PCI NIC, Trident 4MB 3D Image video card. The CPU,
HD, memory, CD-ROM, mouse, keyboard, NIC, and floppy were parts I had
elsewhere. I bought the case, MB, video card and speakers (haven't gotten
sound to work yet, though). I have about $200 of new money into it, with
another $135 in RAM coming. You could probably buy the stuff I didn't spend
cash on for another $300; I'd say under $600 total.

Obviously, the machine I've described is not on par with what you're talking
about, especially the hard drive. (But that older drive is a Western Digital
which has always been a great performer and it continues to be so.) What has
impressed me, though, is how screamingly fast this machine is. I have an
equivalent W2K server box, same CPU, same RAM. In fact, it was a dual-CPU
box with 128 MB until I started this Linux project... ;-)  There is no
comparison in terms of performance - the Linux box boots in half the time,
uses half the memory, and serves pages as fast as you can browse.

I installed Caldera OpenLinux eServer 2.4 and told it to install absolutely
everthing it has. Another point in favor of Linux is that when it got done
with the install, everything was on the machine. No looking for more CDs and
running separate installation programs. It installed a web server, pop
server, smtp server, SAMBA (for sharing files with "windoze"), mySQL, a
whole graphical environment (COL only ships with kde), and a zillion other
things. And all of it fit on the 1.6 GB drive, and all of it runs (barely)
within the 64 MB the machine has. Oh, yeah: PHP is installed by default too.

Main point is this: if money is really an issue, you can do very well on
much less money in the "proof-of-concept" phase.

Another big point: check www.xfree86.org before picking a video card. This
will save you much trouble.

Regards -

-Frank

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "sturman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tulip won't compile under Mandrake?
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 07:52:58 GMT

I have Mandrake 7.1 and when I try to compile tulip v0.91 with the provided
command line, gcc spews several pages of errors.  Errors about not being
able to parse the kernel source files correctly, incomplete structures,
unknown types, pointer dereferencing!!!

But I can install RH6.0 and tulip will compile without any errors.  And the
card (Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100) works correctly.   The
chipset on the card is NC100 v2.  I know it works with tulip because I have
had it running with the version of tulip I have on RH6.0.

Has anybody else had these problems or used this card with Mandrake 7.x?

sturman

------------------------------

From: "TC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: P!!! supported by RedHat 6.2??????
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 08:10:04 GMT

Correct?

but I got
"387 failed: trying to reset" repeating errors...

Why?

P.S. I am using P!!! + VIA 694X motherboard!

Thanks!

TC

------------------------------

From: "K. M. Lau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem solved - Help ! My printer devices is not loaded in Redhat6.1
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 16:36:19 +0800

Thanks , It work after I followed the instruction from your link.

It was surprising me that Redhat 6.1 have the default setting problem and it
is a trap to the new user.

K. M. Lau

news:8l70q2$d4i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Martin C. Barlow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eepro - two device records for one network card
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 18:55:46 -0400

Hi all

I have a redhat 6.2 machine with kernel upgraded to 2.2.17pre13 with net
card compiled as modules.

It has two isa network cards.
A dlink card ( ne.o - works beatiful) and a intel ether express pro+
card (eepro.o - creates duplicate device records)

The eepro card creates eth1 and eth2 ?????????

The card seems to function correctly if i ignore eth2.

It is explained more clearly in the following shell log. Note that eth1
and eth2 share the same IO, IRQ and MAC address.

Am i doing something stupid or is this a bug in eepro device driver.

[---------bash------------]

[root@nts1 /root]# cat /etc/conf.modules
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 eepro
options ne    io=0x280 irq=12
options eepro io=0x260 irq=11

[root@nts1 /root]# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:05:6B:7D:69
          inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:12 Base address:0x280

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

[root@nts1 /root]# modprobe eepro
[root@nts1 /root]# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:05:6B:7D:69
          inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:12 Base address:0x280

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:AA:00:BD:4D:29
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x260

eth2      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:AA:00:BD:4D:29
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x260

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

[root@nts1 /root]#

[------------------------]

I think that this card is very popular so I am betting i have done
something steewpid.

thanks all

Martin

------------------------------

From: Keith Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: UDMA66 / USB
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 11:27:01 +0200

I have a a 10GByte UDMA66 hard drive and I'm thinking about getting a USB
keyboard and mouse.

Has anybody experience of these with the following hardware / software
combination?

Linux kernel 2.2.14-15 (distrib Mandrake 7.0)
Motherboard Abit BP6 (twin celeron).

KR.

--
==
I don't like spammers. So take the warning

------------------------------

From: "Mathew Frank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with Promise PDC20267 RAID Controller
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:43:04 +1000

Interestingly enough, they say in the FT100 press release that there are
drivers for linux,
but the only ones available are the beta versions for RH6.x  (which you can
get by emailing tech support)

You might want those.  I suggest you email this guy - he's fantastic:
        Jason Lu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Mathew Frank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ANU used them in a super-computing cluster
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:50:38 +1000

Interesting - I've used multiples of these myself with no problem.

In fact, the ANU just spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a
192cpu(P-III/550s) Beowolf cluster (called Bunyip)
that uses multipls of these cards.  (two Netgear, 1 TrendNET(with Boot
BIOS) - they all use the Tulip chipset)

Cheers,
Mathew Frank

------------------------------

From: "Mathew Frank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: which is at: http://tux.anu.edu.au/Projects/Beowulf/Hardware.asp
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:51:38 +1000

The above address is for ANUs 'Bunyip'.  Forgot the address (sorry)

------------------------------

From: Auto Cat +++ Auto Cat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help!    L 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 10 10 10 10 04 10ILO
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 18:11:32 -0700

Thanks. May be bad HDD.

------------------------------

From: Auto Cat +++ Auto Cat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CPU temperature
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 18:13:04 -0700

+---------------+------+------+-----------------------------+
| User          | Room | CPU  | Remark                      |
|               | temp.| temp.|                             |
|               |      |      |                             |
+---------------+------+------+-----------------------------+
| Ordinary man  | 85   | 105  | CPU fan may be out of order |
+---------------+------+------+-----------------------------+
| Overclocker   | 25   | 105  | Super heatsink and fan      |
+---------------+------+------+-----------------------------+
| CPU player    | 85   | 150  |                             |
+---------------+------+------+-----------------------------+
| Lab. user     | -40  | 105  | High performance and        |
|               |      |      | reliability                 |
+---------------+------+------+-----------------------------+
| Military user | -273 | 105  | Super computer              |
+---------------+------+------+-----------------------------+

------------------------------

From: "Andreas Oppermann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Brother M-1509 printer
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 12:21:05 +0200

Michael,
the Brother 1509 is a dot matrix printer.
Try to switch the printer type in the BIOS from ECP or anything else
to SPP / Normal.
Andreas.

news:8l80h9$b0c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: sideband <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 07:04:25 -0400

Uh... I beg to differ..

I have a 975 in one of my boxes that operates just fine at 1024x768 @ 32bpp. I
didn't even have to tweak the XF86Config, except to enable the mouse wheel on my
Logitech... ::shrug:: Mebbe it's another issue, and not the card.

Don't get me wrong, Trident DOES suck, but it's cheap, and really, who needs a
*good* graphics card in a machine that's only set up to do fileserving??

But it did work right out of the box on 3.3.6

-SSB