Linux-Hardware Digest #282, Volume #11           Sat, 18 Sep 99 08:13:24 EDT

Contents:
  Re: adaptec AHA-2940 U2W (David Cooley)
  Re: printer, was: Drucker ohne Lizenz zum Drucken ("Klaus-G. Nielsen")
  Ricoh CD-RW MP 6200A ("Martin Musgrave")
  Athlon Motherboard!!?? (Jason Wong)
  ethernet hub/linux compatibilty? (claire)
  Re: Modem Blaster (Rob Clark)
  Re: Dell Optiplex GX1 Sound under RH6 ? ("William B. Cattell")
  help:Segmentation fault when shutdown -h (James Ho)
  Re: help with OEM internal IDE zip drive? (Joseph Murphy)
  Re: Newbie and a SCSI zip question (Joseph Murphy)
  Re: modem setup problems (Joseph Murphy)
  Re: Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat (Nils Freese)
  Apple LW16/600 on a PC w RH6.0 ("Stefan Larsson")
  Re: 13GB Hard Drive problems -- appears much smaller... (Andries Brouwer)
  Re: New Dell Inspiron processors soon? (Doug)
  Re: Anyone have USB Scanner support ("Gene Heskett")
  Fujitsu Lifebook C5130 Display (Jo3 McCarthy)
  Which CD-RW drive to buy? (Gerald Cecil)
  Re: Which CD-RW drive to buy? (Mircea)
  Xircom Modem ("Stephan")

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adaptec AHA-2940 U2W
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:44:31 -0400

Josh Gentry wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Anyone know if the Adaptec AHA-2940 U2W scuzi controller is
> supported by Linux?

Yep...
Use the AIC7xxx drivers

------------------------------

From: "Klaus-G. Nielsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printer, was: Drucker ohne Lizenz zum Drucken
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:26:49 +0200

Nils Freese wrote:
> [...]
> > What might be wrong when the printer does not print and tunelp says:
> > printer status 255, printer out of paper, on-line
> [...]
> > The printer is a HP Laserjet 5 MP and the computer comes with RedHat 5.2 > > > and
>kernel 2.2.12. With my older computer under Debian 2.0 and 2.1 printing
> > works without problems (the older computer does not support IEEE 1284).
>
> Some questions:
> [...]
> --Did you do any weird changes in the mainboard-BIOS concerning the
> lp-port ?
>   (You mentioned something of IEEE1284.)
>
> Just check this out.
> [...]

Additional to what Nils and Michael said:
-- Had that printer-port ever worked with any printer and any OS? I
have  computers on which the onboard printer ports don't work and they
don't give any warnings (under NT & Linux). Checking the general
functionality under DOS (if possible) seems to be a good first test.
And only if the hardware works you should check the configuation under
Linux.

--
Klaus-G. Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Hamburg/Germany

------------------------------

From: "Martin Musgrave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ricoh CD-RW MP 6200A
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:57:55 +1000

I am new to Linux.
I have recently purchased Redhat 6.0. I have a Ricoh 6200A CD-RW drive, and
went to use it with XCDROAST for Redhat 6.0, but it doesn't recognise the
drive as the CD writer. It recognised my first drive, a CD-ROM, perfectly.
Is there anything I can do to fix the situation? Is it just that it is not
compatible, or is there another programme that works?
I read somewhere that all of the 6200s were compatible, and then I read
somewhere else that only the SCSI version (6200S) was.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

MM

------------------------------

From: Jason Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Athlon Motherboard!!??
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 01:28:58 -0700

I was wondering if anyone knows that will Linux work under the new
Athlon motherboard, such as FIC, it has UDMA66, will Linux boot? I have
Redhat 6 and a BX board now, plan to upgrad to Athlon 500... Thanks...

------------------------------

From: claire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ethernet hub/linux compatibilty?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 02:10:54 -0700

Hi I'm a newbie thinking of networking my mac and pc (both running
linux-ppc/linux).
I can't seem to find a linux compatibility list for ethernet hubs, only
for network interface cards. Can anyone help?

I'm thinking of getting CNet's CN8805TPC 5 port 10BaseT hub and and
3coms 3c509 network interface card.
The built-in ethernet card in my mac is recognised by the linux-ppc
kernel, and the 3com network card is supposed to work with linux. So I
just wanted to double-check to make sure I won't have a problem with the
hub before I go ahead and buy it....

thanks in advance for any help,
--Claire

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Modem Blaster
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 07:31:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Luis Amezcua  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I "upgraded" my 33.6 modem to a 56K V90 Modem Blaster DI 5635
>and the thing seems to be winmodem although it was not explicit in the
>box. Called Tech Support and "she" didn't know if is  a winmodem

It is a winmodem based on a Rockwell HCF (controllerless) chipset.

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dell Optiplex GX1 Sound under RH6 ?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 07:23:44 GMT

Niann Shiang wrote:

> What is the kind of sound card in Dell OptiPlex GX1 ?  I think the
> audio driver is Crystall 4xxx under win95.  Does it mean Crsytall 4xxx
> pnp card ?  I tried to recompile kernel and got an error message
> indicating kernel too big.  Any suggestion ? Thanks.

I ran sndconfig and it found the sound card and wrote the isapnp.conf I
needed.

Bill

http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

From: James Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sg.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: help:Segmentation fault when shutdown -h
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 16:58:25 +0800

Hi,
I am getting segmentation fault whenever I try to "shutdown -h".
I am running kenel 2.2.10 whith the apm enable. The os came from the
SUSE Linux6.1, and I upgraded to 2.2.10 just to get the sound card
working.

hardwares
amd k6-4 400
Aopen AX59pro MB---MVP3 chipset (This is an ATX MB)
192Mb pc-100 ram (Hyundai)
Asus AGP-V3400TNT videocard.
Creative SB Live value sound card

It becomes annoying whenever I shut dowm the system I have to manually
turn off the power switch.

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 23:38:11 -0700
From: Joseph Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: help with OEM internal IDE zip drive?

I'm no expert but I got my scsi zip to recognize both dos and linux zip disks.
You need to have two lines in the fstab, one for the ext2 file system and one for
vfat,i.e. dos, something like this.

/dev/hdd1               /mnt/zip                ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hdd4               /mnt/zipdos               vfat    user,noauto        0 0

When I set up mine because it is a scsi zip I use /dev/sda1 for Linux file system
and /dev/sda4 for dos formatted zipdisks.  I also use different mount points so I
know what I have in the drive, dos or Linux but you don't have to.  The zip disks
I use come preformated for dos so I have never set up a file system for them under
Linux but you need to repartition the disks for Linux.  But you most likely have
already done this is you got it to work with an ext2 file system.  Make sure that
you umount the disk before ejecting it.
Hope this helps
Joseph

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 23:42:01 -0700
From: Joseph Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie and a SCSI zip question

I have an internal scsi zip drive.  I just use a ribbon cable that
connects both my CD-writer and the zip drive to the card.  As long as
they are set to different numbers it should work just fine.  AS for the
external scsi I don't know.

Joseph

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 00:30:11 -0700
From: Joseph Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem setup problems

Are you sure these are not win modems?  If they are you have no hope.  Do you
have a dos boot disk?  If you do boot into dos then see if you can access the
modem.  You can try something like echo "ATDT411" >> Com<port number>  This will
usually make the modem dial.
You might want to go to http://consumer.3com.com/modem/index.html and see if the
stuff there can help.  It is the site for USR now that 3com bought them.  I
looked at the manual for the sportster and they are supposed to have jumpers.
Yours might not be a sportster.  If it is a win modem you don't have any hope.
Joseph

------------------------------

From: Nils Freese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:12:22 +0200

"Mark P. Nelson" wrote:

> Nyralotep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : "Mark P. Nelson" wrote:
> :>
> :> Do any of the vendors sell a good multi-processor Linux server
> :> with SOMETHING OTHER THAN REDHAT?  Anything?  Please?  (And Caldera
> :> doesn't count).
> :
> : Suse, [...]
>
> Thanks, but I'm looking for a _hardware_ vendor.

Lookput for SuSE & VA-Research

<http://www.suse.com/Partner/var.html>

or SuSE themselves:

<http://www.suse.de/suse_comp/index.html>

regards,
        Nils

------------------------------

From: "Stefan Larsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apple LW16/600 on a PC w RH6.0
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:15:53 +0200

I´ve got an IBM Aptiva 300Mhz P2 (in Sweden it´s known as the
Volvo-computer) with an Apple LaserWriter 16/600 connected too it. Is there
anyone that knows how to make this work under Linux (RedHat 6.0), it works
really fine under Win-98.
I´ve just recently installed Linux so I would appreciate if youre answers
could be written in a beginner-friendly level.
/Stefan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: 13GB Hard Drive problems -- appears much smaller...
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:06:29 GMT

Jesse Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: I purchased a 13GB Western Digital hard drive and partitioned it for Linux
: I finally noticed that I'm missing part of my hard drive.

No, you are not.

: Here's the output of df -h:
: Filesystem            Size  Used  Avail  Capacity Mounted on
: /dev/hda1             6.7G  3.0G   3.3G     47%   /
: /dev/hda2             3.3G   19M   3.1G      1%   /home

: Here's the output of fdisk with a warning and then the output of p.

: Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1582 cylinders
: Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
:    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
: /dev/hda1             1      1000   8032468+  83  Linux native
: /dev/hda2          1001      1500   4016250   83  Linux native
: /dev/hda3          1501      1582    658665   82  Linux swap

: Where's the rest of me?  Or my disk?

You are using all of it, so no reason at all to worry.
See also the section
14.3 Nonproblem: fdisk sees much more room than df?
of the Large Disk HOWTO, e.g. at
http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/Large-Disk-14.html#ss14.3

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: New Dell Inspiron processors soon?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:07:30 GMT

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:09:37 -0700, Gerald Cecil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Go to www.dell.com/products/notebook/inspiron/insp7500/index.htm
>
>for tantilizing info. Not mentioned anywhere else ASAIK.  It looks from the
>picture
>like the display STILL overlaps the base and that it is STILL a brick. Less,

Yup, it's big and heavy.  Gateway's Solo 9300 is much prettier and
lighter, but a couple of hundred bucks more.

>surprising,
>it also STILL has a 66 MHz frontside bus.

That's because there is no Intel-based system with a 100 MHz front
side bus for notebooks yet.  ...sometime next year, I hear.  (That
includes your Compaq; did you have a different impression?)  Celerons
at 66 MHz are still faster than AMD at 100 MHz for floating point
apps.  ...and a Celeron at 400 is as fast or faster than the PII at
366, but I hear there is some trouble with Win NT and Celeron?

>Thanks, I'll pass and still w/ my Presario 1825. Now THAT is a light, slick
>package.
>Works like a charm and I get 1600x1280 w/o flicker on my Viewsonic P815
>21" at work, Windows or Linux.

Compaq has some nice-looking, inexpensive machines.  I was scared off
by their reputation for non-customer service.  ...and my I7000 comes
with the same configuration, no DVD, Celeron 400, and a three year
warranty for $500 less.  (I haven't called Dell yet to see how much I
can get back now that the new 433 is less expensive than my 400.)  I
can carry an extra two pounds for $500.  ...and DVD on a laptop?  I
guess some folks like it, but I'd rather spend the money for a real
DVD for my home theater.   ...and I had to spring $50 for a NIC;
..built-in would be nice.  If Dell won't throw me a bone and give a
little rebate in addition to the free color printer, I just might send
it back for a Gateway 9300.  Now there's a nice machine.

That said, Compaq's machines are really nice, but I was just too put
off by too many horror stories regarding support.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Sep 99 05:57:54 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have USB Scanner support

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Mohd H;

 MHM> On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:13:02 -0700, Duane Smeckert wrote:
>>I am not having luck getting my USB scanner
>>working under RedHat 60., Anyone have suggestons that might help?
>>
>>Thanks.

 MHM> Wait until the USB is fully supported under kernel 2.4.

That statement sounds like you may have an inside track on that.  Can
you say that the buggier than a 10 day old carcass VIA chipsets USB can
be prodded into working?  This is on a TYAN S-1590S mobo, with its last
bios (1.16) installed.

The reason I ask is because I'm also seeing windoze users asking about
it on the TYAN list from time to time.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: Jo3 McCarthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fujitsu Lifebook C5130 Display
Date: 18 Sep 1999 01:52:52 PDT

Hi, all;

I have combed the web pages, and the FAQs and the like, and I can not
get the display on this new Fujitsu Lifebook C5130 laptop to display
correctly under any flavor of Linux.  It has a 13.3" lcd display which
the Fujitsu website claims is a 1024 x 768 display.

I have determined that it has an ATI Rage chipset for the video
adapter,  but whether I use a LCD monitor setting or any of the many
other video display settings, the best I can do is get about half the
screen to display.  It displays the lower two thirds of the screen in
the upper two thirds of the display, and the lower third of the screen
is an "overscanned" version of what would be the upper third of the
screen.  The entire right side of the screen is black.

I have tried Suse 6.1 and 6.2, RedHat 6.0 and Caldera 2.2 and 2.3.  I
have also downloaded an extra XFCom package for neomagic, but to no
avail.

Has anyone else got one of these to work?  I have seen feedback on other
lifebooks on line, and the rest of the machine works well.  It
recognizes my pcmcia ethernet card and behaves well on the network.  I
am neither new to linux nor new to laptops, I have two others working,
but this one has me stumped.

I would sincerely appreciate any assistance.
--
Jo3

From: Gerald Cecil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which CD-RW drive to buy?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:42:16 -0700

Hi folks.

I'd like an external unit, to switch between my laptop &
2 desktop machines for backups, etc. of Linux & Win NT/98
partitions.  Doesn't need to be very portable.
All 3 machines have SCSI adapters, so my preference
is for a SCSI EXT box.  Recommendations (yes, I know, stay
away from Philips!)

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which CD-RW drive to buy?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:32:42 -0400

Gerald Cecil wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> I'd like an external unit, to switch between my laptop &
> 2 desktop machines for backups, etc. of Linux & Win NT/98
> partitions.  Doesn't need to be very portable.
> All 3 machines have SCSI adapters, so my preference
> is for a SCSI EXT box.  Recommendations (yes, I know, stay
> away from Philips!)
>
> Thanks.

I'm very pleased with the Ricoh MP7040S. Mine is scsi internal, but I'm
sure it comes as external, too.

MST

From: "Stephan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Xircom Modem
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:27:00 +0800

Anyone with experience install a xircom modem card (cm56) on their Linux??
Would appreciated if someone willing to sharing their knowledges with me,...

Thanz,........