Subject: Is There a Linux Release that Does Not Use HLT?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David H. Copp)
Date: 2 Jul 1999 07:35:20 -0500

Hi -- I have been trying to install RedHat 5.2 on a Compaq Presario 4532 since
last December!

The installation floppy cannot get past the first page of stuff. The last line
on the screen is "Testing HLT instruction," then the machine freezes.

I am 90% certain that the 4532 has an AMD K6-II processor. The RedHat knowledge
base indicates that some motherboard + K6 combinations do not properly wake up
from the HLT instruction, so I am mucho suspicious of a hardware problem.

Is there a Linux release that does not rely on HLT to put an idle process to
sleep? I have already tried Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 without success.

Thanks for any tips!

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter F Bradshaw)
Subject: Ziatech 6660 and Linux
Date: 2 Jul 1999 10:51:47 GMT

Hi;

I'm wondering if anybody has had experience with the Ziatech 6660 four
port serial board and Linux? We have one here but it is giving us grief.
Looking in the hardware and serial HOWTOs I've noted that this card is
not listed as supported.

We are building an imbedded system using Linux as the operating system.
The hardware format is CompactPCI. The CPU is a PC compatible X86 board.
We plan to use a Ziatech 6660 board for the serial ports. The Linux
distribution is RedHat 5.2 and the kernel is 2.0.36.

>From reading the manual the Ziatech 6660 seems to consist of 4 16C650
UARTs. These UARTs are located in I/O space in a contiguous block, with
a length 0f 0x20, anchored at some base address. Each UART occupies
0x08 bytes in I/O space. The register set appears to be identical to
the the 16550A's set. Additionally, there is a common register at the
base + 0x20 that contains four bits that may be used to dtermine the
source of a particular interrupt.

I have configured this board using the following:

/bin/setserial -v /dev/ttyS4 port 0xe000 irq 10 uart 16550 ^fourport
/bin/setserial -v /dev/ttyS5 port 0xe008 irq 10 uart 16550 ^fourport
/bin/setserial -v /dev/ttyS6 port 0xe010 irq 10 uart 16550 ^fourport
/bin/setserial -v /dev/ttyS7 port 0xe018 irq 10 uart 16550 ^fourport

To test this board I have been catting ASCII files to it. This works
in that data is sent out the port. However, at the end of the data file
the the kernel may freeze (no response on the console, to pings etc).
Whether it freezes or not seems to depend on the number of bytes
transmitted. For instance I can cat a 71131 byte file with no problems
but a 3416 byte file will fail. The problem is reproducable WRT the
number of bytes. That is, transmitting 71131 will always succeed and
transmitting 3416 will always fail. Presumably the problem is occuring
when a close is done on the port.

I've tried varying the parameters to setserial including trying all
UART type from 8250 to 16650V2. I've also tried bringing the register
at base + 0x20 into play using set_multiport. These have not had much
success.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

--
Peter F Bradshaw        | http://www.nautronix.com.au/,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Nautronix Ltd.          | PGP public key at

------------------------------

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ziatech 6660 and Linux
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 23:08:48 +1000

It isn't just an imitation of a AST four port is it ???

(cheap multiport card bought from local tandy like shop)

ie I had quite a bit of trouble setting up my four port card, altho I didn't
get into it as much as you have. <grin>

Anyways after trying just about every option, I ended up trying the
setserial proggie

I just set it up as a AST 4 port board. But there is 2 settings to setserial
for this type of board

one way the settings of setserial has the board from /dev/ttyS4 -S7 the
other it goes from S8 - S12
mine just happend to only run at S8 - S12 for some reason ???

nothing I changed on the card would make it run as /dev/ttyS4 - S7

It would sort of work running as /dev/ttyS4 -S7 but not properly (even tho
it was set that way)
Any way it worked, and I was happy...

sorry I can't be more specific, it's been a long time since I set up the
board. And I no longer use it.

Tony Platt

From: "Robert J. Hale III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.sources.kernel
Subject: Re: Is Linux capable of clustering ???
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 11:13:07 -0800

Swietanowski Artur wrote:

> Tom Frank wrote:
> > (..) I would like to know if
> > it is possible to make a Cluster configuration as an fail-over
> > with Linux as with other Unix-variants and NT.
> >
> > In a real workable Cluster-configuration (in my opinon) are following
> > nessessary:
> > Heartbeat network
Yes there is a app called Heartbeat.  I beleive it only works for a main
and the fall over for now.  I think they are working on expanding it.
By the way Pacific Hi tech is using this stuff in their Failover
support  server version of Linux.

> > Shareable disc-arrays among server-cluster
You might want to try CODA.

> > Resource-handling on disc
> Again, what do you mean by this?
Dito, what are you asking for.

> > Virtual TCP/IP configuration.
Yes this is part of the high avalibity Linux software.  IP, MAC
masqurading.  You can take over the other machines IP and MAC when it
fails.  This way the connection does not look like it was lost to the
router, DNS or other equipment.

Check out the Linux High Availablity web page.  It has most of what your
looking for. Robert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sun monitor specs
Date: 2 Jul 1999 13:43:12 GMT

Anyone know the specs for Sun's 21" dual-input monitor,
part number X7121A and model number 365-1383-01?

Regards

----

From: Greg Bartels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: asus.support.english.mainboard.p2bx,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: UDMA-4, U/66 performance
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 08:20:40 -0400

> >Computer Shopper did a recent review on the card and
> >said it benchmarked faster.
>
> Where exactly?  I looked and couldn't find it.

hardcopy is at home, I'll bring it in tomorrow.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Bus Error at setup of Slackware 4.0
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 13:42:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Mike Geiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> problem is, after i fdisk the drive(s - I've tried many) i run setup
and
> the console just sits there repeating "Bus error", after about 10
lines it

configure and activate the disk swap partition after fdisk but before
running setup.

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 20:41:22 -0700
From: Solace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mouse

Heya!

I'm trying to get Linux (RedHat 5.2) running on my little system here
(Specs aren't important), and I've gotten pretty much everything running
(Including the video card in X-Win, even though Creative Labs doesn't
make Linux drivers), except the mouse.  It's a nice mouse (Logitech
FirstMouse+.  You know, three buttons and a scrolly thingy) which I've
gotten used to, and don't want to switch.  When I start up X-Windows,
the mouse always gives me basically no control over it, sticking at the
upper left hand corner of the screen.  When you move the mouse it
sometimes jumps a bit in the direction you move it, but jumps right back
the UL afterwards.  It also seems to constantly act as if you were right
clicking . . .  Though I'm not sure, as I don't know what right-clicking
does, as I've never used a working Linux system.

Any ideas, anyone?  Please?

--
~{Solace}-~            UIN: 20181096
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Barry Flanagan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron compatibility?  What is best laptop?
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 16:49:19 +0100

"David J. Topper" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've run Linux on desktop machines since kernel 1.0.x.  I also use it in
> our lab.  The time has come, however, to explore laptop issues.  My
> employer has a deal with Dell, which offers competative discounts for
> laptops.  I must say that the Dell Inspiron line looks pretty good!
>
> I'd love to hear comments / get input from folks.  I've already
> contacted the OSS folks about audio support, but have yet to hear.  I'm
> of course concerned about support for various components like the 3com
> combo 56k + 10/100 that comes with the Dell.  DVD?  PCMCIA?  Video Card?

Hi,

Have an i7000 and it works very well with Linux, with the following
caveats:

1. Yes, you do have to "downgrade" the BIOS to 0.6 to get X working
2. You will need a patched X server
3. The sound is not supported, except by OSS's beta commercial drivers,
and they are still beta
4. Some flakyness around power management, particularly to do with
PCMCIA ethernet (I have the 3Com 575 CardBus)

You will get most of the help you need from:
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/ thanks to Steve Hsieh.

All in all, I'm happy with the machine. The 15" screen is a joy, and
once the sound is sorted it will be great.

Hope this helps.

--

-Barry Flanagan
 Creative & Technical Director

 Tel: +353 (0)1 855-4321
 Fax: +353 (0)1 817-0643

------------------------------

From: "smr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: chi.general,chi.internet
Subject: Re: Looking for vendor for a Linux box
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:48:21 -0500

Tom Lemos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> MS doesn't make the Intellimouse, they just sell them in nice little boxes
> that say Microsoft on them.
>
> They're made by Logitech.

That's nice. Too bad you're wrong.

smr

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer Driver
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 23:52:32 +0900

=======_NextPart_000_006E_01BEC4E5.F39F2280

    Joceli Mayer wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
    caroline wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    >    I am a newbie of Linux and have a question to ask.
    >
    >    I have just installed Linux2.2.5 SuSE6.1 and my printer is Cannon
BJC
    > 4300SP. I found that my Linux does not contain the driver for this
    > printer but just "bjc" or some other older versions. I have tried to
use
    > them but failed......
    >
    >    Could anyone tell me how to download the suitable driver and how to
    > install it to my Linux??
    >
    > Thank you very much~~~~~~~
    >
    > Caroline

    See:
    http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi?make=Canon

    this pointer was gave in a previous post "driver for Canon BJ43000" in
this
    same newsgroup,

    good luck

=======_NextPart_000_006E_01BEC4E5.F39F2280

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#d0ad91>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV>Joceli Mayer<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]=
.edu</A>&gt;...</DIV>caroline=20
    wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; Hello all,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am =
a=20
    newbie of Linux and have a question to=20
    ask.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have just installed =
Linux2.2.5=20
    SuSE6.1 and my printer is Cannon BJC<BR>&gt; 4300SP. I found that my =
Linux=20
    does not contain the driver for this<BR>&gt; printer but just=20
    &quot;bjc&quot; or some other older versions. I have tried to =
use<BR>&gt;=20
    them but failed......<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Could anyone =
tell me=20
    how to download the suitable driver and how to<BR>&gt; install it to =
my=20
    Linux??<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Thank you very much~~~~~~~<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
    Caroline<BR><BR>See:<BR><A=20
    =
href=3D"http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi?make=3DCanon=
">http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi?make=3DCanon</A><B=
R><BR>this=20
    pointer was gave in a previous post &quot;driver for Canon =
BJ43000&quot; in=20
    this<BR>same newsgroup,<BR><BR>good =
luck<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: AMD K6 3D+ BUG???
Date: 2 Jul 1999 14:50:22 GMT

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 03:35:13 -0700, Lars Bindergrowle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Also, for what it's worth, there have been stability problems when using
>> the 450 on the ASUS P5A motherboard.       ^^^^^^^^^
>
>What kind of problems?

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: Mykool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is MAKE ???
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 11:02:07 -0400

Here's what you do.... 'rpm -qa | grep make' if it returns nothing,
then you will have to install the make package.  Depending on the type
of network card you have, you shouldn't even need to compile anything
to get support.  Did you select your network card in the Rh setup?
you can add the line 'eth0 <module name>' to your /etc/conf.modules.
If you are in X, run 'netcfg' and enter the appropriate info.  Do the
command 'ifup eth0' and see if it resolves and works.  The easier
thing to use is linuxconf (if you installed it).  You should install
the make package regardless or you will not be able to do any
compiling and hence installing of programs that come in tarballs.
Or build RPMs out of them.

--
Michael Barnhill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Wilkins)
Subject: Re: PCI128 Soundcard under Linux
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 02:44:50 GMT

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:36:27 -0400, Grant Leslie
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If you have Kernel version 2.0.36 (?) or higher, there is a driver for
>an ES1370 and ES1371. The Sound Blaster PCI128, should work with one of
>them. Try one, if not, try the other, mine is a 1370, but, seems others
>have said thier PCI128 was the 1371.
>
>Jakob Eide Seim wrote:
>>
>> I'm new to linux and wonder how I should set up my PCI128 soundcard under
>> linux...
>> I have tried OSS and that works but I don't have a license file...
>>
>> If anyone can help me that would be great...
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jakob
I am able to get the card working with the ES1370, bu t with no midi
sequencer. Any suggestions?

Charles Wilkins  CNE / MCP / A+
Network Design Consultant
Practical Computer Solutions
http://www.pcscs.com
609-321-1530
609-321-0840 - fax

From: "Dino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 6 and Mylex DAC960PL - can't autoprobe
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 08:41:28 -0500

>Check out Mylex's website as there is some information (and RedHat install
>disks) posted there about this problem.
>
>Mike.

Many thanks Mike - found the stuff I was looking for and have now traced the
problem to a very old EPROM bios that cannot be flashed to the new firmware
needed for RH6 to support it.

Time to get on the phone and order a new one :)

Dino

------------------------------

From: Erwann ABALEA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: PPP connect - pppd: bad local IP address 127.0.0.1
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:30:52 +0200

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Chris wrote:

> pppd connect "chat -f chatfile" /dev/cua2 -detach crtscts modem 127.0.0.1:
>
> When I run this I get:
>
> pppd: bad local IP address 127.0.0.1
>
> The modem will dial and try to connect if I leave the 127.0.0.1: part out,
> but with that part it does nothing but give the above error.  I ran
> ifconfig and checked the hosts file and that IP address is shown in both.
> Can someone help me determine why it does not accept this IP address?

Well.... Leave the 127.0.0.1 away, it's already used, so you can't assign
this address to another interface.... (BTW, 127.0.0.1 is ALWAYS assigned
to localhost).

--
Erwann ABALEA

From: "Merick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Next step -- 12ga fix
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 07:48:07 -0700

After 30 hours, I can get through the login and password from minicom then
it gives me a line of garbage and doesnt do anything else. After this the
modem gets locked up and i can't try to use it again. I've tried pppscript,
linuxconf, netcfg, Kppp, minicom nothing seems to get me in. I do know my
isp uses Debian but don't really have any answers for me on that end.
Minicom runs real slow also if this helps things? but does dial out.
linuxconf and netcfg dials out and talks with my isps modem. Kppp won't do
anything cept tell me the modem is busy or other nonsence. Is setting up my
printer, zip drive going to be this hard as well???

------------------------------

From: "pjs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.raid
Subject: DPT SmartRaid III and EATA driver difficulties with Linux 2.2.5
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 11:58:41 -0000

Hi,

I've just recently obtained a DPT SmartRaid III controller (model PM3224W),
but
have had some problems with getting Linux 2.2.5 to see the array.  Using the
DOS
based Storage Manager, I've set up a RAID-0 array comprised of three 9.1 UW
SCSI disks (two are Compaq DCHS09Y drives with SCA-80 to SCSI-3 68
pin converters, one is a Seagate ST39173W 68 pin).

When loading the EATA driver as a module, the adapter is detected, but
instead
of seeing one large logical drive, it is seeing the three separate physical
drives
of the array.  Following is the output:
EATA (Extended Attachment) driver version: 2.59b
developed in co-operation with DPT
(c) 1993-96 Michael Neuffer, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Registered HBAs:
HBA no. Boardtype    Revis  EATA Bus  BaseIO IRQ DMA Ch ID Pr QS  S/G IS
scsi0 : PM3224W      v07H.1 2.0c PCI  0xf470   9 BMST 1  7  N  64 252 Y
scsi0 : EATA (Extended Attachment) HBA driver
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: COMPAQ    Model: DCHS09Y           Rev: 5151
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: COMPAQ    Model: DCHS09Y           Rev: 5151
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST39173W          Rev: 6244
Detected scsi disk sdc at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
scsi0: queue depth for target 0 on channel 0 set to 20
scsi0: queue depth for target 1 on channel 0 set to 20
scsi0: queue depth for target 2 on channel 0 set to 20
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 17772988 [8678 MB] [8.7
GB]
 sda: unknown partition table
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 17772988 [8678 MB] [8.7
GB]
 sdb: unknown partition table
SCSI device sdc: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 17782728 [8682 MB] [8.7
GB]
 sdc: unknown partition table

In the DOS based Storage Manager utility, i've set the Operating System type
to "Other",
which uses INT13.  DOS itself can see the logical ~27GB drive array, whereas
Linux w/ the EATA module loaded only sees the physical 3 x 9.1 GB drives.

Am I missing parameters to the EATA driver, or am I missing anything else
obvious ?

thanks,

pete