Linux-Hardware Digest #648, Volume #12            Sun, 9 Apr 00 20:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Rage 128 (Dances With Crows)
  could not install HP Dj610C ("gurbinder")
  Sound Configuration with Yamaha XG ("XII Gauge")
  CMI8330 sound problems (Jim Snyder)
  i810 under XFree86 3.3.6 ("Gareth Chapman")
  New Linux System ("Eric White")
  Re: Geforce 256, DRI, XFree86 4.0 and 3D Accel. ("Eric White")
  Re: i-opener that can be modified, where can I get one? (Jim Harvey)
  Re: Voodoo3, X4 and 24 bits (Steve Martin)
  Re: Linux sucks? Maybe not. (Steve Martin)
  Re: I am a reseller and need help (Cameron Kerr)
  Re: Linux sucks? Maybe not. (Steve Martin)
  Re: Linux sucks? Maybe not. (Steve Martin)
  Re: I am a reseller and need help ("The Nice One")
  Re: i810 under XFree86 3.3.6 ("Gareth Chapman")
  Re: New Linux System ("Gregory M. Hebel")
  Re: I am a reseller and need help (Cameron Kerr)
  cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed (Young4ert)
  netgear 10/100 ("HOHO")
  device driver for PCI board (Maciej Przybycien)
  Re: I am a reseller and need help ("The Nice One")
  Re: netgear 10/100 ("Thomas E. Haynes")
  IBM ViaVoice Millenium Edition (Young4ert)
  Re: cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed (Dances With Crows)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Rage 128
Date: 09 Apr 2000 17:10:59 EDT

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000 19:27:55 +0100, Jim Flockton
<<8cqhv6$do2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Anyone know where i can get rage 128 drivers for Redhat as i cannot get the
>bitch in x mode @ all with it GGGGGRRRRRHHH !!!

http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/RELNOTES.html
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mhgraham/UpgradeXfree.html

RedHat 6.2 comes with Xfree86 3.3.6, which supports the Rage128 chipset
natively.  6.1 came with 3.3.5, which doesn't.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

------------------------------

From: "gurbinder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: could not install HP Dj610C
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 02:59:06 +0530

I have installed RedHat 6.1 on my Intel based computer. But could not
install HP DeskJet 610C printer. Please help I am new to Linux but want it
to be productive for me.

Gurbinder

From: "XII Gauge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Configuration with Yamaha XG
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 21:26:32 GMT

I am using R.H. 6.1.  My sound card is a Yamaha XG 64V Wavetable.
When I run sndconfig it recognizes my card as a Yamaha PCI sound card
YMF-724F [DS-1 Audio Controller] but it tells me that it isn't supported.

 Is there a command I can use that will let me manually choose the sound
card, kind of like xconfigurator,  so that I can experiment?  I've been told
soundblaster will work.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Snyder)
Subject: CMI8330 sound problems
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 21:41:02 GMT

Hi

I just installed my Mandrake Linux for the 4th time. I am not sure if
I have a
bad CD but the installation program froze up during the install a few
times
before I got lucky. Prior attemps to upgrade version 6.0 gave me the
same
freezing so I thought I would go for a clean install.

My CMI8330 sound card worked okay under version 6.0 but now does not
under 7.0.
I have tried numerous setting with no luck. It was set up under
Windows 98 at
memory address 0530-0537
IRQ 11
DMA 00

I do not see the address area in Mandrake 7.0 listed.

This sound card is integrated into the motherboard and is a common
one. I am
resisting the urge to disable it as I have done with the SiS AGP
video.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

From: "Gareth Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: i810 under XFree86 3.3.6
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 23:19:26 +0100

Does anyone know where I can get an XF86 3.3.6 server with i810 support
built in - this doesn't come as standard and has to be built in at compile
time(this seems pointless to me, they say it's because it requires the
agpgart module.  So what?).  I don't have enough bandwidth for the source
though :(

So if anyone knows where I can find one, or has one they are willing to
email me.  Let me know...

Thanks in advance,

Gareth

------------------------------

From: "Eric White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New Linux System
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 16:18:14 -0600

Hi,

I've been trying to put together a new linux system.  Here is what I have
come up with.  Does anyone know if there are problems with Linux systems and
the new AMD bus?

MOTHER BOARD
    GA-7iXE Athlon board
CPU
    ATHLON 750 MHz
HDD
    Western Digital 20gb 7200rpm
CD/DVD
    40x Panasonic
VIDEO CARD
    ASUS - V6800 32mb DDR AGP - exerts the power of nVidia's GeForce 256 GPU
MEMORY
    Micron 128MB PC133 SDRAM
SOUND CARD
    Sound Blaster Live! Value with digital out OEM
NETWORK
    3COM  3C905C-TX

Feeback would be greatly appreaited,

Eric White

From: "Eric White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Geforce 256, DRI, XFree86 4.0 and 3D Accel.
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 16:32:37 -0600

Andy,

I saw this while review video cards. Hope it helps.
http://www.xfree86.org/4.0/Status21.html#21
21. NVIDIA

3.3.6:
Support (accelerated) for the NV1, Riva 128, 128ZX, TNT, TNT2 (Ultra, Vanta,
M64), GeForce (DDR) and Quadro is provided by the XF86_SVGA server and the
nv driver.

4.0:
Support (accelerated) for the Riva 128, 128ZX, TNT, TNT2 (Ultra, Vanta,

------------------------------

From: Jim Harvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i-opener that can be modified, where can I get one?
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 16:47:24 -0400

"Robert W. Cunningham" wrote:
> Steven Potter wrote:
>
> > The i-openers that are currently shipping have some of the pins on the
> > IDE header clipped.  So unless you are good at soldering, the best place
> > to get a hackable one in E-bay, but you will have to pay more.
>
> I can't quite tell from the photos:  Is the IDE header surface mount or
> through the board?  If the latter, it should not be too hard to replace
> with a new header and a cheap soldering iron.

It is through the board but they put epoxy over the pins on the bottom to make it hard
to do.  The BIOS is also recently changed to foil
recognition of a hard drive and they epoxy the bios chip in it's socket.

Both of these problems can be gotten around with patience.  Wires can be soldered to
the cut off pins, and the epoxy can be chipped away.
--
    Jim Harvey, Naperville, Ill.  Amiga person - Linux person - WB8NBS/9
        This message came from Netscape running on a LINUX machine!

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Voodoo3, X4 and 24 bits
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 18:46:57 -0400

Alex Kaufman wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "D. Stimits"
> >
> > I'm wondering if the Voodoo 3 itself supports 24 bit. I was thinking
> > somewhere I saw it works only at 16 bit or less. This might not be
> > right, but it would be worth checking out.
>
> You're right, V3 won't do above 16 bit. Otherwise great card

Incorrect! I'm running a Voodoo3 2000 PCI here under RH6 and XF86 3.3.3,
and it's running in 32-bit mode as verified by xdpyinfo.

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux sucks? Maybe not.
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 18:49:28 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> And some copy of root cache is included in any linux distribution.

...but it's not necessarily current.

From: Cameron Kerr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I am a reseller and need help
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:48:26 +1200

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, The Nice One wrote:

> Ok I am a computer reseller in Dunedin New Zealand but I need some
> help/feedback about a proposed system I am hoping to offer as a Linux box.

Bout bloody time we had one in Dunedin

> My major barrier to doing this is that I know almost squat about linux(all
> distributions).

Most people have their own preferred distrobution, so its probably best to
just sell them the hardware, or have a selection of pre-prepared systems.

> What I need is for someone out there to check out this link here
> http://jcdcomputers.tripod.com/id62.htm
>
> if you just check out the hardware how does this sound for a system.

I'd say the only hurdle MAY??? be the NIC

> For the price remember that a NZ$ is approx US50c

Will you be dealing in parts too?

> Thanks in advance

> Yours Dave Hall JCD Computers
hmmm, are you THAT Dave Hall?
> http://jcdcomputers.tripod.com
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Dunedin's first Email Only Computer store
> I try to be best cheapest and friendliest :-)

Cameron Kerr

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 18:51:08 -0400

Arjan Drieman wrote:

> >he'll have to have the IP addresses of the root servers, which opens up
> >a whole 'nuther can of worms.
>
> Please don't use the root servers unless you're sure you have to.
> They're already stressed enough as it is.

That's part of what I meant. Also, he would have to make sure his
list of root servers is current. It's a bit of maintenance he wouldn't
have to go through if his ISP wasn't so pigheaded.

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 18:53:52 -0400

Arjan Drieman wrote:

> My provider's domain is a2000.nl.  Let's see:
>
>  #whois a2000.nl
>   [SNIP...]
>
>   Domain Nameservers:
>    ns1.a2000.nl                  62.108.1.65
>    ns2.a2000.nl                  62.108.1.66

...and, yes, that is one way around it *if* your ISP's
records indicate the IP addresses of their DNS servers
as this one did. My own, however, is an example of one
that doesn't; they indicate the DNS names of the servers
but not the IP addresses.

Definitely something to try, though.

------------------------------

From: "The Nice One" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:54:32 +1200

heh what are the odds of running into a high school friend in a news group

--
Yours Dave Hall JCD Computers
http://jcdcomputers.tripod.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dunedin's first Email Only Computer store
I try to be best cheapest and friendliest :-)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Gareth Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i810 under XFree86 3.3.6
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 00:08:12 +0100

It's okay - found said binary on support.intel.com.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Gregory M. Hebel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Linux System
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 23:01:30 GMT

Eric White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> HDD
>     Western Digital 20gb 7200rpm

   Consider the IBM DPTA-372050 20-GB 7200-RPM 2-MB cache.
I've seen it for under $180 on the web.  Great drive.
Reliable, fast.

   Greg

From: Cameron Kerr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:17:21 +1200

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Robert W. Cunningham wrote:

> The Nice One wrote:
>
> > I may know squat about linux but I am willing to learn more than Joe average
>
> Forget about what you do or don't know about Linux.  Your expertise in PC
> hardware systems is what is needed most, and THAT is what will make the lives
> of your customers who want to run Linux MUCH easier.
>
> After all, no matter how much you do or don't learn about Linux, what matters
> most is how well your customers succeed with their new Linux-compatible
> systems.

Here's a good idea to benefit you and the community. Set up a Linux User's
Group in Dunedin (I think it's the first one).

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 19:08:41 -0400

Hi,

I have an Acer-6206A CD-RW on my AMD-K62 400MHz running SuSE-6.3 Linux
Distro.  I downloaded a copy of cdrecord-1.8.1a05 and successfully
compiled as well as installed the package.  However, when I execute
"cdrecord driver=3Dmmc_cdr dev=3D0,1,0 blank=3Dall", it gave me an error
message as follows:

        # cdrecord driver=3Dmmc_cdr dev=3D0,1,0 blank=3Dall
        Cdrecord 1.8.1a05 (i586-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J=F6rg
Schilling
        cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed

Can anyone please tell me what is the "shmget failed" error message is
about and how to fix it?

-- =

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "HOHO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netgear 10/100
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 19:26:18 -0400

Is netgear 10/100 ethernet cards linux compatible?? i keep seeing ads about
how cheap they are and stuff.. was wondering if they are compatible with
linux..
thanx
PeLe

------------------------------

From: Maciej Przybycien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: device driver for PCI board
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 00:57:34 +0200

Hi,
I work on device driver for PCI board.
I read the following base adresses from my board:
(Base Address 0...4) b800, cc000, ce000, b400, b000
It seems to me that b800,  b400 and b000 are IO ports and cc000, ce000
are memory addresses.
However, if I access memory at addresses cc000 or ce000 the system
crashes.
Probably these addresses have to be remapped in the kernel virtual
address space, how to do it?

Are all the PCI boards allowed to generate interrupt or do we need to
allow it eg. by writing to the PCI command register ?

Could anyone help?
            Maciek

------------------------------

From: "The Nice One" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:49:55 +1200

it is on the way hopefully

I just emailed the local admin about it

--

------------------------------

From: "Thomas E. Haynes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netgear 10/100
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 23:54:32 GMT

"HOHO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8cr3cg$6m5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Is netgear 10/100 ethernet cards linux compatible?? i keep seeing ads
about
> how cheap they are and stuff.. was wondering if they are compatible with
> linux..
> thanx
> PeLe

I have them in two Linux machines and have always worked well for me. They
use the tulip driver.

Regards...   Tom Haynes
                   Murfreesboro, TN

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IBM ViaVoice Millenium Edition
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 20:04:10 -0400

Hi,

I just purchased a package of the IBM ViaVoice Millenium Edition.  It
comes with the headset made by Andrea, CDROM, Command Reference Card,
and a comprehensive user guide.  Unfortunately, the CDROM contains
software for Windows only.

Can anyone please tell me if IBM has ported the ViaVoice to Linux?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed
Date: 09 Apr 2000 20:08:12 EDT

On Sun, 09 Apr 2000 19:08:41 -0400, Young4ert
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I have an Acer-6206A CD-RW on my AMD-K62 400MHz running SuSE-6.3 Linux
>Distro.  I downloaded a copy of cdrecord-1.8.1a05 and successfully
>compiled as well as installed the package.  However, when I execute
>"cdrecord driver=mmc_cdr dev=0,1,0 blank=all", it gave me an error
>message as follows:
>
>       # cdrecord driver=mmc_cdr dev=0,1,0 blank=all
>       Cdrecord 1.8.1a05 (i586-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg
>Schilling
>       cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed
>
>Can anyone please tell me what is the "shmget failed" error message is
>about and how to fix it?

1. Make sure that cdrecord itself is SUID root.
2. If you're running kernel 2.3.3x or higher, you need this line in
/etc/fstab:
none            /var/shm                  shm       exec,dev,suid,rw 0 0
(yes, shared memory is now a filesystem.  They meant it when they said,
"EVERYthing in Unix is a file.")

I don't believe you need the "driver=" option to cdrecord if this is a
newer CD-RW.  If the drive is mmc-3 compliant, cdrecord will recognize
this and do the right thing.  HTH,