  need to survey which laptop is good for Redhat6.0? (bono)

From: Jeffrey Veiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,linux.dev.scsi,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Crash/Reboot with Adaptec 3940UW
Date: 4 Jul 1999 20:35:25 -0400

****                                                             ****
**** NOTE:  Remove NOSPAM from my address above before replying  ****
****                                                             ****

Calling all SCSI experts:

I have a bit of a challenge with an Adaptec 3940UW SCSI card.  To start off,
here's the specs:

   Tyan Trinity 1590 Motherboard v1.16
   AMD K6 233MHz CPU
   128M SDRAM
   Windows 98 loaded on a Western Digital 4G EIDE drive (4 part VFAT)
   Redhat 6 loaded on Seagate Cheetah (3 part VFAT, 4 part ext2, 1 part swap)
   See below for more info

The Problem:

   I was happily computing along, backing up my laptop to the /home partition
   on the above machine (hostname = fuzzy) using rdist when fuzzy restarted.
   This happened three times before I decided to do something else and work
   on why later.  The next day (I don't remember what i was doing), fuzzy
   was rebooting into linux and needed to fsck the / partition (sda5).  As
   it was trying to fsck, it crashed/rebooted with no errors.  Every reboot
   has the same result.  The only major change to the system was a
   motherboard BIOS update.

Things I tried:

   o Booting from Slackware 3.5 SCSI boot/rescue root floppies and running
     fsck on sda5.

   o Booting from Slackware 4.0 aic7xxx boot/rescue root floppies and running
     fsck on sda5.

   o When booting/rooting from floppy, I can mount sda5 but if I poke
     around too much (cd's & ls's), it eventually crashes/reboots.

   o I can fsck the other ext2 sda* partitions, but poking around too much
     eventually crashes/reboots (tar'ing each partition causes a crash).

   o Tar'ing a CD from either CD-ROM drive doesn't cause a crash.

   o Setting Bus A termination to Disabled and Bus B termination to Enabled.

   o I booted with aic7xxx=panic_on_abort,verbose and it still rebooted.

   o I downgraded the motherboard BIOS to the original version and it still
     crashes.

   o Windows 98 (scarily enough) works fine.  I did a thorough scandisk on
     all EIDE & SCSI partitions with no problem.  Both CD-ROM's work fine.

   o The cheetah was repartitioned and installed with Redhat 6 a few weeks ago
     and except when I had to turn off wide negotiation on the CD-ROM and Zip
     drives, has been working fine.

At this point, I'm at a loss as to what to try next.  Possibilities include
hardware failure on either the SCSI Card or Seagate Cheetah or a SCSI BIOS
mis-configuration, but then why does Windows 98 work?  (No really, why
does Windows 98 work? :-)  )

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated!

Please contact me if there are any further questions via internet mail at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thank you very much!

Jeffrey Veiss ([EMAIL PROTECTED])      13 Lynn Court
Network Engineer/System Administrator       Somerville, NJ 08876
Sir Veiss, Inc.                             (908) 431-1318

Here's some other useful info:

Significant IRQ's:

 3     COM2
 4     COM1
 5 IDE Creative Labs AWE32
 7 PCI Adaptec AHA-3940 Ultra/Ultra Wide v1.25
10 PCI Adaptec AHA-3940 Ultra/Ultra Wide v1.25
11 PCI 3Com Fast Ethernet
14     Enhanced IDE Bus
15     USB
NA PCI Creative Labs Voodoo 2
NA AGP ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 8M

(Parallel and 2nd IDE ports turned on in the CMOS)

Adaptec AHA-3940UW BIOS Settings:

A:
   ID 0:  Seagate Cheetah ST19101W Ultra 9G Internal (Terminated)
   ID 5:  External Iomega Zip Drive (Terminated)
   SCSI Bus Interface Definitions
      Host Adapter SCSI ID............... 7
      SCSI Parity Checking............... Enabled
      Host Adapter SCSI Termination...... Automatic
   Additional Options
      Boot Device Options
         Boot Channel.................... B First
         Boot Target ID.................. 0
         Boot LUN Number................. 0
      SCSI Device Configuration
         Initiate Sync Negotation........ yes to all id's
         Maximum Sync Xfer Rate.......... 40 for all except 20 for id 5
         Enable Disconnection............ yes for all id's
         Initiate Wide Negotiation....... no for all id's except 0 & 7
         Send Start Unit Command......... no for all id's
         Include in BIOS Scan............ yes for all id's
      Advanced Configuration Options
         Reset SCSI Bus at IC Initalization....... Enabled
         Channel A BIOS........................... Enabled
         Support Removable Disks as Fixed Disks... Boot Only
         Extended Translation for DOS Drives >1G.. Enabled
         Channel A Display <Ctrl-A> Msg........... Enabled
         Multiple LUN Support..................... Disabled
         BIOS Support for Bootable CD-ROM......... Disabled
         BIOS Support for Int13 Extensions........ Enabled
         Support for Ultra SCSI Speed............. Enabled

B:
   ID 2:  Plextor 8plex CD-ROM Drive
   ID 4:  Plextor 4/12 CD Writer (Terminated)
   SCSI Bus Interface Definitions
      Host Adapter SCSI ID............... 7
      SCSI Parity Checking............... Enabled
      Host Adapter SCSI Termination...... Automatic
   Additional Options
      Boot Device Options
         Boot Channel.................... B First
         Boot Target ID.................. 0
         Boot LUN Number................. 0
      SCSI Device Configuration
         Initiate Sync Negotation........ yes to all id's
         Maximum Sync Xfer Rate.......... 20 for all id's
         Enable Disconnection............ yes for all id's
         Initiate Wide Negotiation....... no for all id's
         Send Start Unit Command......... no for all id's
         Include in BIOS Scan............ yes for all id's
      Advanced Configuration Options
         Reset SCSI Bus at IC Initalization....... Enabled
         Channel A BIOS........................... Enabled
         Support Removable Disks as Fixed Disks... Boot Only
         Extended Translation for DOS Drives >1G.. Enabled
         Channel A Display <Ctrl-A> Msg........... Enabled
         Multiple LUN Support..................... Disabled
         BIOS Support for Bootable CD-ROM......... Enabled
         BIOS Support for Int13 Extensions........ Enabled
         Support for Ultra SCSI Speed............. Disabled

dmesg output (whilst booting with Slackware 4.0 aic7xxx boot disk):

Linux version 2.2.6 (root@zap) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #14 Tue Apr 27 15:06:58 CDT 1999
Detected 233865908 Hz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 466.94 BogoMIPS
Memory: 127752k/131072k available (1280k kernel code, 408k reserved, 1576k data, 56k
init)
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
CPU: AMD AMD-K6tm w/ multimedia extensions stepping 02
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exceptoin 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb4d0
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: 00:38 [1106/0586]: Work around ISA DMA hangs (00)
Activating ISA DMA hang workarounds.
Linux NET 4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd v 1.5
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with HUB-6 MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
RAM disk driver initialized:  16 RAM disks of 49152K size
loop: registered device at major 7
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe400-0xe407, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
hda: WDC AC24300L, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: WDC AC24300L, 4112MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=524/255/63, UDMA
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
linear personality registered
raid0 personality registered
(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 4/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel A, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Warning - detected auto-termination
(scsi0) Please verify driver detected settings are correct.
(scsi0) If not, then please properly set the device termination
(scsi0) in the Adaptec SCSI BIOS by hitting CTRL-A when prompted
(scsi0) during machine bootup.
(scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Int-68 YES, Ext-68 NO)
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 419 instructions downloaded
(scsi1) <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 5/0
(scsi1) Wide Channel B, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi1) Warning - detected auto-termination
(scsi1) Please verify driver detected settings are correct.
(scsi1) If not, then please properly set the device termination
(scsi1) in the Adaptec SCSI BIOS by hitting CTRL-A when prompted
(scsi1) during machine bootup.
(scsi1) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Int-68 YES, Ext-68 NO)
(scsi1) Downloading sequencer code... 419 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.10/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi1 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.10/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 2 hosts.
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST19101W          Rev: 0014
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: D.09
Detected scsi removable disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
  Vendor: PLEXTOR   Model: CD-ROM PX-8XCS    Rev: 1.03
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
  Vendor: PLEXTOR   Model: CD-R   PX-R412C   Rev: 1.06
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
scsi : detected 2 SCSI cdroms 2 SCSI disks total.
(scsi1:0:2:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.54
(scsi1:0:4:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 12x/12x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda caddy
(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 40.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 17783240 [8683 MB] [8.7 GB]
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
sdb: Write Protect is off
Partition check:
 sda: sda1 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 >
 sdb: sdb4
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 >
VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and press ENTER
VFS: Disk change detected on device fd(2,0)
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 56k freed
UMSDOS dentry-pre 0.84 (compatibility level 0.4, fast msdos)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Subject: Re: Add 2nd vfat IDE to linux box
Date: 5 Jul 1999 00:58:16 GMT

On Sun, 04 Jul 1999 19:34:22 -0400, Tom Elsesser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>have a 4.3gig IDE that has win progs on it which I want to install,
>however lilo will not get past "li"if I have the 2nd IDE drive hooked
>up. How can I reconfigure Lilo to"see" the 2nd IDE and not stall ?

This is just off-the-wall, but are you sure that you optioned the 2nd HD
correctly? If it is the second HD on the controller, then it should
be optioned as the "slave" drive. In some cases, such as Western Digital,
the current drive must be optioned to accept a "slave". You'll need to
double check the documentation. As I recall, WD can be optioned as
"Master Only", "Master with Slave", and "Slave". If you have two masters
on the same IDE channel, it won't work at all. I am fairly sure that if
you have the "Master Only" then it will work, but you won't "see" the
second HD. If you have two "slaves", that won't work either - but it's
unlikely since it works if you remove the second HD. My best guess is
that you have the second HD set as "master".

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Collin W. Hitchcock)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Floppy boot to linux-only scsi hardrive on Win95 PC?
Date: 04 Jul 1999 20:53:49 -0400

General comments:

OK, assuming that your BIOS boots from the first IDE drive (your old
drive), your best option is to install LILO on the MBR of the IDE
drive.  You can include options to boot Win95 and Linux.  If you don't
want to mess with the MBR, then you can install LILO on a floppy.
Then Win95 will boot by default and you can use the floppy to boot
Linux.

Specific responses:

> Hi folks, Is it a luxury to have a seperate disk dedicated to each
> OS (95 & Linux) or am I just over-complicating things? Please tell
> me if you have a better idea to accomplish this:
>
> I have an old Acer Aspire P-90 Win95 PC.
>
> The original IDE 1Gig hard drive is FULL of all Win95 stuff I'd like
> to keep as-is; SO I have installed an Adaptec 1502 SCSI controller
> with a Quantum XP32150 2Gig hard drive.
>
> * I think I want the SCSI hard drive dedicated to Linux and the IDE
>     hard drive remain dedicated to Win95.

No problem

> * I want the ability to transfer files between the two drives.

Easy to do when running Linux.  Might be possible when running Win95.

> * I don't want to swap hardware to boot the other OS.

No problem

> What's the best way to have both OSs co-exist?:
>
> Can LILO be installed on my original drive, but most of Linux on the
> SCSI drive? I have 10-50 MB I could give-up on the Win95 disk.

LILO can be located entirely on the MBR.  No need to mess with your
Win95 partition(s).

> Boot from floppy when I want Linux running from SCSI hard drive?
>
> Install a boot manager?
>    Which one? Any risks to my Win95 disk? Free?

Um... LILO?

It is possible to loose the partition information for a drive when
rewriting the MBR and this is a risk when installing LILO there
(though I've never personally heard of it happening).  If you are
squeamish about this, start with lilo on a floppy.  Then once you have
Linux up and running, look at the lilo docs (actually they are an
excellent intro to basic disk concepts in general).  Figure out how to
back up the current MBR and how to restore the backup if there is a
problem.

> Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions!
> -John

Collin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (nope)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 01:42:18 GMT

Build your own computer; that's the best way.  Don't ever buy comp stuff from a
school -- total ripoff.  Here, they're still selling Win 3.1 for $99.

Set your initial budget and maximize what you can from it by putting things
together yourself.  I strongly recommend this as you can then swap out MB's
every year or so to keep up with the times.  Otherwise, any system you buy
today will be a worthless pile of junk after 4 years of college.

------------------------------

From: Jean-Michel Dault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: mandrake install hangs on intel NIC
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 01:34:36 +0000

Don't autoprobe.

Disable PNP in your EtherExpress and setup manually using DOS to the following
parameters:
io=0x300, irq=(3,10,11,12)

Jean-Michel Dault

From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Info about AMD K6 sig11 bug
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 09:49:50 +0800

Hello,
    Where can I find more information about the AMD K6 sig11 bug, which
is mentioned by the Linux kernel stuff?

    Yours,
    Raymond

------------------------------

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ensoniq Audio PCI 1370 (SoundBlaster 64/128 PCI)
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 20:24:56 -0500

Ralph Blach wrote:

> Has anybody had any experience with the Ensoniq Audio PCI 1370

I had one and returned it back to the store.  Although it will play
sounds, it will not play MIDI files.  The MIDI functions are normally
performed in the Windows driver, not in the hardware like most real
cards.  You can get MIDI functionality if you purchase the OSS drivers
for about $20.  I spent the money on a different card instead.

Please note that any questions of hardware support are frequently dated
by the time someone posts or shortly thereafter since there is so much
active development going on. If someone tells something is supported,
you should be ok - if someone tells you it isn't, check for more recent
info.

        .../Ed

------------------------------

From: "H. Michael Smith, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron compatibility?  What is best laptop?
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:09:35 -0400

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Robato Yao)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 5 Jul 1999 02:08:19 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike
Frisch) writes:
>On 4 Jul 1999 01:49:20 GMT, Chris Robato Yao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Not if you use a 3DNow enabled compiler like Codewarrior.
>>
>>If it is compiled with 3DNow, chances are it can be much faster.
>
>Agreed, but Linux (the kernel) does not use any of the advantages of 3DNow
>to my knowledge.  It does not use any of the features of the PIII either,
>for that matter.

Linux greatly benefits from processor with very strong integer
performance, and the K6 core is the ticket.  But if you do compiling as
well, the combination of the K6 core + 64K L1, full speed 256K L2 and
512K-1MB L3, is going to better than the Celeron with 32K L1 and full
speed 128K L2 or the PIII's 32K L1, and half speed 512K L2.

Rgds,

Chris

(And the NUMBER ONE top oxy-MORON
1.   Microsoft Works
---From the Top 50 Oxymorons (thanks to Richard Kennedy)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Robato Yao)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 5 Jul 1999 02:20:18 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls) writes:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>>
>>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>>>faster.

>>>advantages of 3DNow
>>>PIII either,

>>>has been
>>>

>>>What it does do is take advantage of duals.  can get a lx dual
>>>board for $50, bx dual, socket 370(ie don't have to buy converter
>>>cards) with ata-66 for $130 & c400's for $75x2.  going the cheap
>>>route, $200 for dual c400's vs $200 k63-450.  k63 will loose
>>>easy.  multitasking, compiling, databases, spreadsheets, cad, ...
>>>take advantage of duals.
>>
>>Before the amd fanatics jump on me about it, cheap route $220(have to buy
>>two slot 1 adapters).  Side note: An interesting piece of hardware is 3dlabs
>>vx1 video card $200.  Drivers take advantage of duals!  Offloads geometry
>>to the second cpu.  If what you do involves opengl/modeling...
>
>Some more interesting tidbits about the bp6(bx dual s370 ata-66): it has
>2 ata-66 controllers & 2 ata-33 controllers.  I'd buy 4 hd's(say 8.4GB maxtors
>for $100 ea. or 9.1gb quantum ka's for $150) & use linux & nt's software raid
>0(stripping).  Talk about hd performance!:)  Abit had oc'ing in mind with
>the bp6, each cpu has it's own voltage in case one oc's better than the
>other & the mem bus setting are incremental by 1mhz!  Also the vx1's drivers
>are already optimized for sse so for even more performance(though more $ too)
>bx dual + p3-450's for some heavy duty geometry calcing:)

Is this board actually released already?  Or is it vaporware?

Does not matter.  Intel is going to pull the plug with multiprocessing
Celerons anyway.

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ADSL versus Cable modem.
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 21:35:34 -0500

Mike & Lisa wrote:

> From what I've read in a few trade magazines....Wireless Review,
> Communications Design,
> RCR, etc, it seems that ADSL will be faster than the cablemodems plus as
> more people
> get on their cablemodems your speed will decrease, unlike on ADSL.  I
> think I saw the
> same thing in a review in PC Computing also :)

For most of us, there isn't really a decision to make.  I'm 2.7 miles
from my central office by road, so DSL will be out for me for almost
forever.  One of my co-workers is 11 blocks by road from his CO, yet his
cable distance is 13,000 feet and his line quality isn't good enough for
DSL.  Another co-worker is over 4 miles from his CO.  All 3 of us are in
the Twin Cities, MN area - it's not like we're out in the country
somewhere.

There is a really good reason why I think cable modem access will be the
eventual winner - DSL just isn't here for the masses.  I've got my cable
modem being installed later this week.

        .../Ed
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: bono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: need to survey which laptop is good for Redhat6.0?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 00:49:25 GMT

hi:

I am looking for a laptop to install Redhat6.0 as client to connect to
my PC as well as taking it out on the street.   I wonder which model are
good since I don' t know much about laptops.  Is there any hardware
problem in certain models that I better stay away if I want to install
linux on it?  It must be able to connect to LAN..which network card is
the best supporting?   I want to be able to take it to anywhere in teh
world so whether it can handle  both 110V and 220V is a must...sound
doesn't matter, size of monitor not really important as long as I can
see ...  =)

Any info  on model # and price or recommendation is welcome

Bono