Linux-Hardware Digest #669, Volume #12           Wed, 12 Apr 00 11:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  IBM thinkpad 1421 (Helpdeks User)
  intel etherexpress hub (Damien BENOIST)
  Re: Idea !!! ("The Wogster")
  Shutdown/ATX Mainboard question ("John Duffy")
  Palm pilot and serial port question (Thaddeus Selden)
  New video card worthwhile? (julien mills)
  Re: Shutdown/ATX Mainboard question (Dances With Crows)
  Hercules Thriller 3D Reset? (Steve Dicks)
  Re: Compaq Presario 7360 Setup ("A M")
  Mouse Question (Eddie Bauer)
  SB Live 1024 ("Cetelem")
  Re: Dual proc with 2 dimm's is unstable ("Roumen Asenov")
  Re: hardware drivers for lexmark 3200 !! ("The Wogster")
  Re: high altitude modern systems performance ("David Rencher")
  Re: keyboard error (Jim Jerzycke)
  Re: Linux sucks ("The Wogster")
  Linux on a DSP (Nicolas Dentant)
  Re: high altitude modern systems performance ("Symp")
  vga.h and Matrox Millenium II (Teo)
  Re: Idea !!! (Pasi Savolainen)
  lm_sensors on a HP NetServer
  Re: ZIP drive partition problem (James Silverton)

From: Helpdeks User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IBM thinkpad 1421
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:14:02 -0600

Heeellllpppp...
        I have an IBM thinkpad 1421 and have installed Red Hat Linux 6.1 onto. It has
detected the correct video card, but it isn't allowing me to select the monitor.
It is an 800x600 14" display. No matter weather I chose Laptop 800x600 8bit
color ir something else, it is not configuring X to display on the monitor. Does
anyone have any idea's???
Thanks in advance
George

------------------------------

From: Damien BENOIST <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: intel etherexpress hub
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:14:20 +0200

I'm not sure where to post this, sorry if that's not the right place
(please just tell me where to get help!).

I'm trying to get linux rh6.0 running on an old compaq prosignia,
it has:

ncr710 integrated scsi ctrl
EISA intel ether express hub (82586-10)
I 've added an ISA pnp ne2000

I compiled a 2.2.14 kernel, with ncr710, etherexpress16 and
ne2k support
I have no cdrom drive so I use ftp.

I pass the following args to the kernel:
sim710=addr:0x8000,irq:11 ether=10,0x380,eth1 ether=2,0x300,eth1

eth0 is the eexpress
eth1 is the ne2k

The eexpress works at the begining of the install, second stage
image is downloaded with no pb, but after the hd partitioning
I lose the connexion and get the following messages in the
4th console:

eth0: warning CU didn't stop
eth0: CU wedged, status 0240 0000 reseting
eth0: i82586 reset timeout, kicking
eth0: i82586 not responding, giving up
eth0: transmit timed out, board on fire?
eth0: startup timed out status 0040, resetting...
eth0: tx interrupt but no status

If I use the ne2k instead (setting it as eth0) the install succeeds.
I haven't tried the eexpress once linux is installed (even if it
works i want to know what's happening during install and if
i can rely on that card).

Any idea/help/suggestions/...?

From: "The Wogster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Idea !!!
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:18:27 -0400

Oh Yuck, buggy Windows drivers, running under Linux.  It's possible, you
would need some kind of emulation layer, is it reasonable, I hope not.  This
is the kind of thing that killed OS/2, it did such a good job of emulating
Windows 3.0, that nobody wrote native programs for it.  When Microsoft
changed the rules, it died because they could not emulate the newer version.
A better mechanism might be for Linux, BSD, SCO, Solaris to bind together
with a common driver interface.

------------------------------

From: "John Duffy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Shutdown/ATX Mainboard question
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:36:59 +0100

Hi.

I have just installed Linux Mandrake 7.0. When I issue the following
command:

    shutdown -r now

the system shutsdown and the computer is powered down - as expected with an
ATX mainboard (I believe).

When I issue the same command to Cladera Open Linux 2.3, the system
shutsdown to a "System halted." message, but the computer is not powered
down.

I would really like my COL 2.3 distribution to behave in the same manner as
Mandrake 7.0.

Is this a kernel or a configuration issue?
If it is a configuration issue some pointers to the correct files to alter
would be appreciated.

Regards

John Duffy

From: Thaddeus Selden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Palm pilot and serial port question
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:30:05 GMT

   I've been trying to get Linux to recognize my Palm Pilot cradle and I'm
a little confused about something. I've never installed Windows on the
machine and so I don't know exactly what port I should be using. I'm
assuming that it's on Windows COM2. When I try using /dev/ttyS1 or
/dev/cua1, I get the message:

pi_bind Device or resource busy
Check your serial port and settings

   Could someone please explain to me what the difference is between
/dev/ttys* and /dev/cua*? I use /dev/cua0 for my Wacom graphics tablet and
it works fine. On my old machine, I only had one serial port and used
/dev/cua0 for both the cradle and the tablet and just switched between
them. But now all of the documentation says to use /dev/ttyS*. Also, any
ideas how to fix the problem? I've already made sure to use the /dev/pilot
link to whichever serial port I'm trying and made sure that permissions are
correct. TIA

-Thaddeus Selden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.thaddeus.net

From: julien mills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New video card worthwhile?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:54:25 -0400

Hi,

I have a pentium 90, which is probably 5 years old,
and am thinking of getting a new video card and
monitor.

But, when I look at the video cards, a lot seem to
require a pentium II etc.  Will it do me any good to
get a new card?  Or is my computer so old it won't be
able to get the benefit of a better video card?

Right now I have an old Stealth 64 with 2MB.  I can
run 800x600 or 1024x768 but not at a fast refresh rate.
I'd like to go 1024x768 or higher, at a high refresh
rate.

Thanks,
Julien

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Shutdown/ATX Mainboard question
Date: 12 Apr 2000 09:59:20 EDT

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:36:59 +0100, John Duffy
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
shouted forth into the ether:
>I have just installed Linux Mandrake 7.0. When I issue the following
>command:
>    shutdown -r now
>the system shutsdown and the computer is powered down - as expected with an
>ATX mainboard (I believe).

I do not think you meant to say "-r".  "-h" on the other hand....

>When I issue the same command to Cladera Open Linux 2.3, the system
>shutsdown to a "System halted." message, but the computer is not powered
>down.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html
"APM Support" and "Power-Off on Shutdown" need to be enabled.
The shutdown script should be calling "halt -p" at some point.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Dicks)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware
Subject: Hercules Thriller 3D Reset?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:10:10 GMT

I've been using a Hercules Thriller 3D card under Linux, however it has
suddenly stopped working in Linux mode - it appears that it no longer
responds to a probe (in either W95 or Linux). The Hercules site
contains zero information about this card, and the CDROM doesn't contain
any useful docs either. (This was bought 2nd hand a few weeks ago) Anybody
have any ideas about whether the card can be hard reset to overcome this?
I've tried re-flashing the BIOS and moving the PCI slot that the card was
in, but to no effect. The annoying thing is that it works fine under W95...

--
Steve Dicks - Starswan Systems Ltd
Hertfordshire's premier one-man Systems Consultancy

------------------------------

From: "A M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compaq Presario 7360 Setup
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:02:29 -0400

I have the same model. I installed SuSe 6.2 without any problems (be sure to
install to a freshly formatted partition since I had problems installing
over a previous RedHat distro.)

The modem is PC-Tel HSP56, which is a winmodem. There's a driver for it but
I haven't tried it, and probably won't, due to the fact I'm on a home
network.

I originally tried RedHat 6.0 but had problems with the X configuration so I
tried SuSe which had support for the graphics card, Trident Blade 3D. So
far, no problems. I haven't tried the 3D capabilities yet.

My recommendation: if you *do* need to have a working modem, don't go with
Compaq at this time.

Andrew
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Eddie Bauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mouse Question
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:33:18 -0400

I have a Logitech Mouseman Wheel. RH 6.2 Linux installed.  I chose
generic 3-btn. mouse during setup. How do I go about changing that to my
new mouse?
Thanks, Eddie

------------------------------

From: "Cetelem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB Live 1024
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:47:19 +0100

I have one SB Live 1024 under redhat 6.1.
sndconfig tells me that it can't suport it.
What can I do to this??
Is there a patch?

tks

------------------------------

From: "Roumen Asenov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual proc with 2 dimm's is unstable
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:26:31 GMT

hugo hallqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:q9_I4.3500$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Reassembling the computer at home I put in the good 96 Mb of ram. Booting
up
> computer and installing win2k just fine.. Now I just got my 128 Mb module
> returned and I'm running win98/win2k/slackware 7 happily at 224 Mb of
> memory. Maybe I should say that at first I thought it was the old modules
> that didn't cope with me overclocking to 92 MHz fsb... The 32 dimm was
pc66,
> the 64 a pc100, and now the 128 a pc133.. Works just fine. 2x400 MHz at
> 2x552 MHz.
>
>  Regards, Hugo

Hugo,

>From my experience PC66 and PC133 don't work well together.

Regards,

Roumen

------------------------------

From: "The Wogster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hardware drivers for lexmark 3200 !!
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:27:02 -0400

Lexmark printers under Linux are only good under two conditions:
    1) your willing to run the OS from the evil empire for printing....
    2) you can Samba to a machine running the OS from the evil empire for
printing....

Next time check the manufacturers site for drivers, before you buy the
printer....

------------------------------

From: "David Rencher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Re: high altitude modern systems performance
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:30:06 -0600

I'd ask them for the desktop but leave the hard drive as their problem.  It
sounds like all of this is a warranty issue anyway so make it there problem.

As far as heat sink compound the stuff from Radio Shack works well but the
deep secret of the PC world is that most thermal grease is just White
grease.  White Lithium grease is suspiciously similar to thermal grease.
You can find lot's of heat sinks at www.3dfxcool.com although a lot of them
have those thermal pads on them that you have to get rid of, they just don't
work as well as the normal thermal compounds.

And as far as drilling holes in the case, you can get a nibbling tool that
works really well for that unless you already have a drill press.

The best fans you can get are the squirrel cage jobs.  You can find them at
Panasonic's web site but they only sell them in bulk.  The squirrel cages
move the most volume of air for their size but they don't mount well in
precut fan mounts.

Dave

------------------------------

From: Jim Jerzycke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: keyboard error
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 21:38:07 +0000

Wen you sat "My bios refuses to flash" what error message do you get?
Many motherboards have jumpers that must be reset to ALLOW the bios to
be flashed. Kind of a pain, but it protects you from getting a bios
virus (yes, they DO exist!).
Regards, Jim

------------------------------

From: "The Wogster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Linux sucks
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:49:01 -0400

I find that when Linux drives you mad, you dig out your dearstalker and
start hunting for a fix, or post an article in a group like this.  It's a
moment of pride when it finally works.

When Windows drives you $@#!% mad, well you think about all that money
accumulating in &@!#$ Redmond, and get madder, then you call #@!%$
Microsoft, they tell you to call the manufacturer, the %$#$@ manufacturer
tell you to reinstall, more $#@!$ hours wasted, on @!#$@$ windows, need I
$#@$!@ say anything $#@%# more.    The end result is $$#@^@!$, no
satisfaction here.

------------------------------

From: Nicolas Dentant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on a DSP
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 16:48:42 +0200

Does Linux run on a DSP ?
What distribution should I use ?
Do you have any good sites I could look at ?

From: "Symp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:56:39 GMT

Another type of thermal compound you can use is called Diletric(sp?)
Silicone Compound, commonly used on automotive applications for dissipating
heat on electrical and electronic parts, nice thing is it will not conduct
electricity either.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Teo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: vga.h and Matrox Millenium II
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:41:27 -0700

Hi!

I've a problem: I'm not able to make the vga.h lib
working !! I have a Matrox Millenium II, and I want to
install the Mandrake 5.1: there are no problems for the
configuration of the X server but the vga.h library
doesn't work, why?!?!?

                               Thank you,

                                      Teo.

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: Pasi Savolainen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:58:11 +0300

The Wogster wrote:
> A better mechanism might be for Linux, BSD, SCO, Solaris to bind together
> with a common driver interface.
This is where Linus draws the line. He wants to keep driver
interface/API fully flexible, no guaranties that it doesn't change in
next prepatch. And he is totally right. If he'd freeze the api, it'd
take too long for some functions to come to kernel.

best,
pasi.

ps. no-one is stopping one from writing
per-kernel-version-call-translator that'd translate function calls...
but i'm blabbing again.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: lm_sensors on a HP NetServer
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:00:41 GMT

Does anybody know if lm_sensors works on a HP NetServer LPr?
I don't have physical access to the machine to try and figure
out chip types...

-Ronan

------------------------------

From: James Silverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ZIP drive partition problem
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:03:36 -0400

Matthias Meixner wrote:

> bill davidsen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> :
> :   I just installed a ZIP drive, 100MB internal ATAPI, in a system, and
> : I'm having an interesting problem. After I booted, I couldn't find the
> : partition table on any of my existing ZIP media.
>
> The problem is that some but not all ATAPI Zip drives skip the first track
> (32 sectors i.e. partition table). Therefore one some drives you cannot
> access the partition table whereas you can on others. If you write
> another partition table on drives, that skip the first track, you will not
> be able to read it on other drives that do not skip the first track.
>
> The best you can do to work around that is to use factory partitioned disks
> and mount them as partitioned disk (e.g. /dev/hdd4) on drives that support
> the partition table and mount them as superfloppy (e.g. /dev/hdd) on drives
> that skip the first 32 sectors.
>
> I have already called Iomega-Support, but the man on the phone had no clue.
>
> In my eyes this is a big mess, and if anyone knows a solution that allows
> to access all sectors on all drives, please let me know, since I have
> got several drives of both types here at work.

I have support for my Atapi zip drive installed with SuSE6.2. The
December 1999 issue of Linux Magazine (not ordinarily my favorite) had a
good article on installing zip drives. I set mine up under KDE using
zip.kdelnk without much problem. The device is /dev/hdb4. So far, I have
not tried more elaborate things like formatting or setting up a Linux
file system.

Ejection from the keyboard or using a mouse can be done but it requires
Jeff Tranter's Eject program from Freshmeat. I have one small problem
there in that "eject /mnt/zip" does eject but the "mounted" indicator on
the KDE icon does not change. A zip disk, formatted under Windows98, can
be read and written under Linux. As a test, I have verified that a text
file, copied to the zip disk by dragging with a mouse, can be seen in a
W98 directory box and read by WordPad.

Jim.

--
James V.  Silverton