Linux-Hardware Digest #669, Volume #13            Wed, 4 Oct 00 04:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: NIC recommendation (Mike)
  i need some help setting up an external modem ("Liberat0r")
  Re: Handspring USB sync in Linux? (Frank Sweetser)
  Voodoo2 doesn't like me (Debian User)
  Intel Pro/DSL 2100 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Hauppauge WinTV model 401 (Pete Zaitcev)
  Re: Onstream ADR50i - AHA-2940U2W - SuSE 6.4 ("Tuxedo T. Penguin")
  Sony Memory-Stick (Reinald Kirchner)
  Re: NIC recommendation ("Steve Jost")
  how can I use my IDE CD-RW for linux ? (=?big5?B?pbSr86RI?=)
  Re: compaq proliant 4500 - help required !! (Glitch)
  Re: i need some help setting up an external modem (Glitch)
  Re: deleting huge file didn't free space (David Morse)
  Re: linux on HP Pavilion
  IBM SCSI does not autostart (McManus Leo Root DSP Consultant)
  Re: Olivetti M4 Modulo P75 ??? (Pierre)
  Re: Desperate!! Epson Stylus 760 has NEVER worked right (Grant Taylor)
  Re: IBM SCSI does not autostart ("The Everettes")
  Re: linux on HP Pavilion (Sparkzz)
  Re: IBM SCSI does not autostart ("The Everettes")
  Re: IBM SCSI does not autostart ("Jörg Verstraete")

From: Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NIC recommendation
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 20:14:49 -0600

Listen bro, don't listen to what everyone else has said, some people
are on crack.  Like one of the replies to the post recommends using
any DEC "tulip" based card.  From everything I have found
(Hardware-HOWTO, searching the web) the Netgear, it is supported by
linux, versions without a "D1" printed on it use the DEC Tulip driver,
while others use a linux driver provided by Netgear.

Why is that card NOT the best choice for your system.

Tulip cards are good, the cheapest tulip cards I have found are from
LinkSys, and they are great on the linux support.

Peace

Mike

On Tue, 03 Oct 2000 21:41:37 GMT, "wm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

#Hi all,
#
#I recently purchased a NetGear NIC model FX-310 that I discovering is NOT
#the best choice for my Cyrix P150 Linux (RH 5.2) box. Could anyone make a
#recommendation for a more appropriate card??
#
#Thanks,
#Walt
#

------------------------------

From: "Liberat0r" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: i need some help setting up an external modem
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 19:29:34 -0700

I have an old external practical peripherals 14.4 modem that I would love to
hook up to my Linux box. I haven't had much help looking on the web. can
anyone help me with this?

thanks for your time

Liberator

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Sweetser)
Subject: Re: Handspring USB sync in Linux?
Date: 4 Oct 2000 02:30:34 GMT

Dan Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a Visor Handspring that uses the USB cradle..  I saw somewhere
>that if you insert the module 'usb-serial' then it will translate the
>serial connection expected by the sync program to USB expected by the
>handspring.

You need to snag the absolute-latest version of gnome-pilot from
http://www.gnome.org/gnome-pilot/  Previous version don't understand
USB devices.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu, fs at suave.net  | $ x 11
Full-time WPI Network Tech, Part time Linux/Perl guy |

    die "Illegal division by zero"
             -- Larry Wall in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Debian User)
Subject: Voodoo2 doesn't like me
Date: 4 Oct 2000 02:50:45 GMT

I've got a creative labs 3d blaster card, a voodoo 2,
and i'm trying to install it on my debian linux box.
I'm not entirely sure what i'm doing, but i compiled
the device3dfx-module for my kernel (3dfx.o) which
i modprobe'd successfully, and installed the libglide2
and mesag3-glide2 packages... everything looks fine to
me, but when i run quake, or any of the "test" binaries
for that matter, i get the same error:

gd error (glide): _GlideInitEnvironment: \
        libglide2x.so expected Voodoo, none detected

As i'm typing this, i'm considering it perhaps being the
fact that i'm running the 2.4.0test8 kernel? I'll try this
tomorrow with 2.2.16 or something and see how it goes.
failing that, any feedback or hits? Thanks in advance.

Thread

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
intel.other_components.network_components,comp.dcom.modems.cable,comp.dcom.xdsl
Subject: Intel Pro/DSL 2100
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 02:56:48 GMT

For the benefit of those that wonder about linux driver support and the
2100, here's a copy of the letter I recently sent to USWest/Qwest:

"...Unless I am mistaken, I will need to discontinue my DSL service, as
there is no driver support for Unix/Linux operating systems for the
Intel Pro/DSL 2100, which Intel makes clear, is a responsability of the
DSL provider, not the modem manufacturer. If the USWEST/QWEST marketing
team has made a determination that this market is not feasily
supportable, please state this clearly so that I and many other
Unix/Linux users can make appropriate decisions about which DSL
provider to use. I realize that no one from USWEST implied or claimed
that Linux support would be available, but considering other DSL
providers such as COVAD do support Linux, one would think that the
QWEST marketing team would appreciate the Linux DSL community by
providing the necessary drivers.

Please let me know if I can expect any Linux driver support in the very
near future, otherwise, please let me know with whom I need to speak to
discontinue service with Qwest.

Sincerely,..."

PS, I'll post thier response as well.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Zaitcev)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Hauppauge WinTV model 401
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 03:27:55 GMT

> #bttv
> alias char-major-81   videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 bttv
> options bttv          card=10 radio=1
> options tuner         debug=1

Hmm... are you sure your card index is 10? The way bttv.c is written
very many people mistake by one (one of descriptions occupies 2 lines).
Try to use autodetect. I have 401 too and it autodetects perfectly
by stock RH 6.2 and all custom 2.2.16 kernels that I had built.

> So I decide to try xawtv instead.  It compiles and starts without a
> problem, but the picture is AWFUL - black & white, grainy, severe
> ghosting, and rolling - and there is no sound.

Hmm... If you are sure that your card is 10 (or use autodetect),
then make sure norm is set right. I saw what you describe trying
to capture NTSC signal while in PAL norm.

> Does ANYBODY have this beast working under Mandrake?

Mandrake is known to ship broken compilers sometimes (even pgcc!!).
It is highly unlikely, but try to find a friend with RH 6.2,
compile a kernel with modules and xawtv there, then try it.
(if all else fails :)

--Pete

------------------------------

From: "Tuxedo T. Penguin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Onstream ADR50i - AHA-2940U2W - SuSE 6.4
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 00:04:00 +0200

Werner Neumann wrote:

> I'm not able to get this tape to work. mt status/rewind/eject works fine,
> but tar cfv brings up the following message:
>
> tar: Cannot write to /dev/nst1: Input/output error
>
> I've tried several tapes, all of them unprotected! Onstreams homepage says
> that this device works fine with native linux applications. What should I
> try?

I have the exact same problem with my own Onstream. I have a slightly
different
model, namely the Onstream ADR30i (the 30GB compressed, SCSI version).
Although
the kernel recognizes the drive during it's SCSI scan as a tape drive, I
can't
do anything with it; I just keep getting the same Input/Output errors as
you.

I contacted Onstream about this and they said they were working on a
Linux
driver for their SCSI models. However, this has been some time ago now
and I'm
seriously doubting any driver will ever be out.

Perhaps someone else knows of a solution?

Greetings,

        A.E.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 18:52:19 +0200
From: Reinald Kirchner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Sony Memory-Stick

Hi all,
is there anything known of linux support for that memory-stick slot on
Sony notebooks?
Are there any efforts to develop a driver for that?

I'd like to help/support a development like that, but could not find
anything concerning that on the Web...

have fun
Reinald
http://www.qbcl.de (not up yet...)

------------------------------

From: "Steve Jost" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:30:13 GMT

I can say that i have a Netgear FA-310Tx card, the same as you and i have
used in in my redhat 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, and 6.2 box.  Each time it has
worked using the generic tulip driver.  I found one case where something
messed up and i tried the provided tulip.o off the disk and it worked geat.
Its a good card and doesn't require much messing with.  I suggest that u
keep this (my 3com nic sux).  Also, if u only need a 10base use a pci Ne2K.
Hope this helps.

--Fuzz

------------------------------

From: =?big5?B?pbSr86RI?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how can I use my IDE CD-RW for linux ?
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 12:47:11 +0800

Hi all,
I have a IDE WPI 4424 CD-RW
I was downloaded "gtoaster", in preferences valid drives is /dev/scd0
but my drive on /dev/hdd for CD-RW
I edit it but cant work...

--
¥´«ó¤H, ¥´«ó§A!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 01:05:41 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: compaq proliant 4500 - help required !!

drivers for what hardware?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 01:20:05 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i need some help setting up an external modem

make sure linux detects it, open up minicom and try dialing out with the
modem (make sure /dev/modem is a link to /dev/ttySx, where x =0-3
depending on which COM port your modem is on).  If /dev/modem is
pointing to the right com port then when you try dialing out with
minicom you should see the modem respond with OKs as minicom sends it
signals.

------------------------------

From: David Morse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: deleting huge file didn't free space
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 06:10:14 GMT

In article <8re107$qss$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Florian E.J. Fruth <fejf@gmx*/dev/null*.de> wrote:
> David Morse wrote:
>
> > My / is 2.2 Gig.  Recently I was running out of space, so I went to
/tmp
> > and deleted the ~600 Meg cdrom image that was sitting there.  You
would
> > think that would help, but no, now that space seems totally unusable
> > me.  Df says I'm using 1.96 gig out of 2.12.  Du, on the other hand,
can
> > only count 1.49 gig worth of files on /.  Fsck claims the disk is
happy,
> > though I've seen two "ide resets" in the logs.
> >
> > Any idea what I can do to reclaim the gap?
> perhaps try:
>
> e2fsck -f /dev/hdXX
> to force a complete check of the filesystem...

Can you tell me how to safely run e2fsck on /?  I don't mind rebooting
(I have several times already), but isn't linux going to be incapable of
running "/bin/e2fsck /dev/hda4" with no /bin, and no /dev?  :)

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux on HP Pavilion
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 06:30:03 -0000

Hello HP/Linux folks.  I am encountering some difficulty trying to have my
cake and eat it too...

I have been able to get Linux and Windows to acknowledge one another up to
this point on my HP 8670C.  The problem is this - the Windows software that
comes with the HP is only installable from the HP Recovery disks, which
require that the Windows OS recognize my machine as an HP.

I have my hard disk partitioned such that LILO sits up front, and the
Windows bulk is in the back.  This works great, except that the Recovery
disks don't recognize my machine as an HP.  Since this is my only source of
useful gadgets like my CD-R/W drivers, DVD drivers, M$ SW, etc etc, I'd
like to be able to access it.

Is there a way to move LILO beyond the 1024th cylinder?  I have a feeling
that whatever HP is using to identify their machines is located in the
highly-coveted low storage regions of my hard disk.

Thanks for any and all replies.
-sb

From: McManus Leo Root DSP Consultant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: IBM SCSI does not autostart
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:04:47 +0200

I have an IBM DRVS 18Gb 10Krpm LVD wide SCSI. It is connected to an
Adaptec 2940UW controller and has had no problems. I connected my HP CD
Rewriter on the 50way connector with active termination and now my IBM
hard drive does not start.

I have tried the IBM, again, on it's own, with and with the auto start.
I have tried SE with active termination, but it will not start up. The
CD Rewriter is OK.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Leo

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:17:07 +0200
From: Pierre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Olivetti M4 Modulo P75 ???

Hi again,

Slackware 7.0 is fine, thanks.
The video chipset is working also ... I tried to run KDE/Gnome + Staroffice
5.2 but I had to switch to fvwm2 (32 Mb memory only).

Best regards,

Pierre.

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Desperate!! Epson Stylus 760 has NEVER worked right
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 07:25:10 GMT

kevin filer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> My Epson stylus color 760 has never worked right.  It prints plain
> text ok, but is a paperweight when trying to print a PS doc.

> I have the latest ghostscript, have tried printtool a million times,
> have tried using pdq, etc, etc.

> Has *anyone* had any luck?

Yes, at least two people have it working just fine.  One had to
sacrifice chicke^H^H^H^Hpush various buttons to switch parallel port
modes, and another didn't; perhaps this is what's biting you.

See http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=96288

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/

------------------------------

From: "The Everettes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: IBM SCSI does not autostart
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 03:31:29 -0400

You have an LVD drive connected to a non LVD controller. Is that supported?

Or do you actually have a 2940U2W?

"McManus Leo Root DSP Consultant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sparkzz)
Date: 04 Oct 2000 07:32:50 GMT

Hmmmmmm,

How much software are you installing from your recovery disk??

Have you ever thought of:

1.) IN Linux make a linux boot floppy
    (make bzdisk)
2.) IN windows: fdisk /mbr
3.) install whatever software from recovery disk.
4.) boot linux from boot floppy
5.) rerun lilo.

I have a an HP Pavilion XE746.
I used FIPS to partition for linux, and
didn't need the HP recovery disk
to re-install software.

.
.
....Ken

------------------------------

From: "The Everettes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 03:48:07 -0400

Nevermind, answered my own question. Sorry.

news:8remco$ni7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jörg Verstraete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 09:48:46 +0200

"The Everettes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8remco$ni7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> You have an LVD drive connected to a non LVD controller. Is that
supported?

> Or do you actually have a 2940U2W?

Yes, it is supported.  I believe all LVD-drives can run in SE mode (might
require a jumper-setting, but it is possible).

> > I have an IBM DRVS 18Gb 10Krpm LVD wide SCSI. It is connected to an
> > Adaptec 2940UW controller and has had no problems.

I don't think this is your problem, but it could be interesting :
So it is setup up correctly to start spinning (on power up presumably).  If
there aren't any other "power hungry" devices, this should work.  If there
are other "power-hungry" devices you might have to set the drive to start
spinning after a delay or after receiving the start command

> > I connected my HP CD
> > Rewriter on the 50way connector with active termination and now my IBM
> > hard drive does not start.

I think this is the problem :
You have to terminate the high-byte.  The wide scsi (68 pin) is 16 bits, the
50 pin is 8 bits.  All data channels need to be terminated, so since your
having wide and non-wide on the same bus, the high-bytes must be terminated.
The controller is capable of doing this; in the bios there is an option
"termination".  I believe "auto termination" should work, but you might want
to try the setting "high on / low off" (there is an explanation about this
in the manual, when to use what setting)

> > I have tried the IBM, again, on it's own, with and with the auto start.
> > I have tried SE with active termination, but it will not start up. The
> > CD Rewriter is OK.

Hope this helps,

Jörg