Linux-Hardware Digest #131, Volume #11           Sun, 29 Aug 99 22:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Setup X for Dell Inspiron 7000C notebook ("JJ")
  Re: Modem US Robotics 56K v.90 INT ("Duncan B. Cameron")
  Restoring EXT2 superblock... (MBr)
  external USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro? ("A. Teutonico")
  Re: Linux Hardware Page? (Justin B Willoughby)
  Re: computer arch (Spike!)
  Riva TNT ("Bradley Bye")
  Re: Modem US Robotics 56K v.90 INT ("Duncan B. Cameron")
  Re: which digital LCD panel to use with XFree86? (Henry Davies)
  Where is X window driver for Intel's 810 chipset? (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
  MSI MS-5169 + ELSA Quickstep 1000 PCI Problem ("Oliver Speidel")
  Re: X11 not giving me more than generic resolution (Howard Mann)
  Re: How to force X to use a specific server (Jason Pimble)
  Re: Save my 486... Linux and HDD controller board (Jimmy Lio)
  Creative TNT Ultra 2 and Caldera Open Linux
  Re: RH 6.0 and SIS 620 ("L. Friedman")
  Re: making linux go away ("Dario Andrade")
  Re: Is reveal card supported- yes, but only as a Sound Galaxy Pro 16!!! ("Colonel
Panic©")
  Re: Where is X window driver for Intel's 810 chipset? (typo) (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)

From: "JJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Setup X for Dell Inspiron 7000C notebook
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:59:27 -0400

There is a fourth:  In a few weeks, Dell is reportedly going to support
Linux on the I7k.  The drivers should then appear on their website.

jj

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Duncan B. Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem US Robotics 56K v.90 INT
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:45:42 -0400

I set the jumpers to PnP, set the BIOS to "non Pnp O/S" and disabled BIOS
support for the Com port - worked in five minutes (after wasting Saturday
changing jumpers, etc.). The modem is a 56k v.90 Voice Int (OEM). Luck!

------------------------------

From: MBr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Restoring EXT2 superblock...
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 01:58:38 +0200

Can someone help me out on extracting a backup EXT2 superblock and
placing it one the right spot? (The 1st 32mb of an 2.5gb ext2 is
overwritten by a fat12 fs, due to some bugs in the NT CD rescue
procedure. I already restored the bootrecord from a backup, but I've no
clue on the EXT2 block and superblock size..   When I use MS DOS fdisk,
it says no space is available on the drive, but it must be like
600 mb free... but maybe that is due to unfamiliarity with EXT2...
I already tried running mkefs -S -t ext2 /dev/hda, after I mirrored the
disc, but when I try to fchk it,
it segfaults just as it already segfaulted before I tried to mkefs it..
btw fchk version is 1.14
When I try to mount it, iso a fs, the directory entry turns into one
file of 32k *1k blocks (32MB)
I've put the mirrored copy back with dd, but I'm still nothing further..

I once was able to mount the corrupted EXT2 fs and than it showed a 32mb
fat12 partition containing
NT data from the rescue disc (the ERD procedure crashed, leaving me with
this sh*t..)

Actually, I just want to retrieve the data, so I looked for a program
like Tiramisu, but that only comes
in FAT(32), NTFS and Novell filesystem flavours...

Any help is appreciated,

MBR (Manuel Beunder)

------------------------------

From: "A. Teutonico" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: external USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:28:57 -0400

Hi there,

does anyone know wether the US Robotics 56K external Voice Faxmodem
Pro, as described at:

http://www.3com.com/client/pcd/products/prod-voice5605-pro.html

is working under Linux?

If it is, anything special to get it to that point or is it working
ootb?

Thanx already,

Ciao

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Subject: Re: Linux Hardware Page?
Date: 29 Aug 1999 23:26:45 GMT

"Matt Anderson" ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> I tried searching, and I know it exists because I've been there before.  But
> I'm looking for a page that gives a big list of compatible hardware with
> linux.  and it's not Linuxhardware.net that i'm looking for either, i've
> already been there.  It seems to me that there was another page out there
> somewhere.  Any pointers would be helpful...

There is a Hardware-HOWTO. If you are looking for it on the Internet just
go to www.linux.org | click on the Support Button | click on the HOWTO
link | and look for Hardware.

I don't think it is a mini-HOWTO but I could be wrong.

Cheers,

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: computer arch
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:35:43 +0100

And verily, didst thaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> what is the difference between RISC and CISC arch.'s.?

RISC = Reduced Instruction Set. These tend to have highly optimised
instruction sets and fixed length instructio words. Add to this the way they
process the instructions using pipelines and such, and you get a much faster
and more efficient execution. RISC tend to be designed so that compilers
find it easy to produce efficient code, rather than humans using assembler
language.

Also, as RISC chips have fewer instructions, they are far less complex
internally than their CISC counterparts, which means they won't get as hot
and can be clocked much higher (because component density on the chips is so
much lower)

CISC = Complex instruction set. Versatile instruction set with multiple
length instruction words. These *can* be simpler to program by hand, and
much more difficult to get a compiler to make use of all the instructions
(or optimise for best speed) because there are so many instruction
combinations to deal with.

That's it, in a very much oversimplified nutshell.
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a   |
|                           |graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc    |operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in             |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company,that|
|     Computer Science      |       can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++|
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire |

From: "Bradley Bye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Riva TNT
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:15:37 -0700

Where can I find an X Server/drivers to support the Graphics Blaster Riva
TNT card?  I was planning on putting the card in the 98 machine, but thought
it might be much more interesting in my OpenLinux 2.2 box.  Any ideas on
where to look would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, if I do find the correct drivers/X server, how would I go about
swapping the video cards?  Should I switch to the SVGA server, install the
new x server, install any new drivers then put in the new card?  What are
the general steps to upgrading a video card under Linux anyway?

Thanks,

B. Bye

------------------------------

From: "Duncan B. Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:06:18 -0400

It worked like a charm! Thank you very much - I wasted a good deal of time
trying alternate configurations of jumpers, drivers, Com ports and so on, and
was getting nowhere until I saw your solution - I wonder why this approach isn't
more well known? In any case, many thanks for providing such a quick and easy
solution to a very tedious problem!

------------------------------

From: Henry Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: which digital LCD panel to use with XFree86?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:55:26 +0000

Mark,

Sorry bout that.  You are right the NEC LCD is not digital.
I keyed on the LCD part.

The C&T driver was for a digital LCD, but only VGA resolution.  It did
work fairly well after tweaking the modeline to get things centered and
such.

Henry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Where is X window driver for Intel's 810 chipset?
Date: 30 Aug 1999 08:39:41 +0800

Need to get an X window driver for the new Intel's 810 or 810 chipset.
Any tips are appreciated.  Thanks.

Napi

------------------------------

From: "Oliver Speidel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MSI MS-5169 + ELSA Quickstep 1000 PCI Problem
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:59:23 +0200

Hi,
I`ve got a new Mainboard with Aladdin V Chips on it an when
I want to boot with the Elsa ISDN Card hangs the System by initializing !!
- No Interrups Conflicts
- Many Bios Parameters are changing
- And the Elsa go`s on the old Board !

What I am doing wrong ??

Sorry my bad english!!
Thangs for help

------------------------------

From: Howard Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X11 not giving me more than generic resolution
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:31:05 GMT

Julius Goth wrote:
> I'm not sure what I didn't complete, but my X terminal session is not
> allowing me to switch resolutions to higher than the standard 640x480.
> I tried the Ctrl-Alt-(+/-) on my keypad (according to Linux unleashed),
> but it doesn't work. I've already installed the proper i740 driver from
> precisioninsight.com, but the result is still the same after selecting
> the generic i740 (it's a mainboard integrated piece).  I'm not even
> looking for the super duper 1600x1200 resolution.  1024x768 will suit
> just fine.  Can someone help me?
>
> Julius

Look at the "Display" subsection of the "Screen" section of
XF86Config. What "modes" do you have defined ? Do you have
640X480 only ?

If so, reconfigure X and specify additional modes when prompted.

Also check the messages you get when you "startx" to be sure
you do not have modes that are "deleted."

Peruse :   http://www.xmission.com/~howardm/Xwoes.html

Regards,

Howard Mann.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Jason Pimble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to force X to use a specific server
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:28:07 -0400

Are you using the X server from NVidia?  If so, it should autodetect the
card(it does for my Creative TNT2(M64) card.  If you aren't using the Nvi=
dia
server, get it from the nvidia web page, or I think Creative might have i=
buried on their page somewhere, or at least a link to it.  It should inst=
all
itself, setting up the sym link so that X uses the correct server.

------------------------------

From: Jimmy Lio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,hk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Save my 486... Linux and HDD controller board
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:16:14 +0800

Paul Sherwin wrote:

> Alternatively, you may have a seriously screwed up partition table.
> You could try deleting all existing partitions and starting again.

I'm not sure if this is the case.  Before the installation, the 240Mb
harddrive had Windows 3.1 installed and was running great.  After the Linux
installation, I low-formated the harddrive once and checked it with Partition
Magic 4.0 on my Win '98... everything was just fine... I guess I can dismiss
the possibility that the hard drive has a screwed-up partition table...

I noticed that some of you have controller boards with two IDEs.  Mine is a
bit different --- there is only one IDE.  In fact, I've got two controllers:
one Goldstar and the other UMC... My CDROM is on the SoundBlaster board,
which is automatically probed on Boot-up.

I also tried my 1.6 G hard drive with the machine and the situation was even
worse: The BIOS can't even auto-detect it... Man... I wonder how you guys
configure your 486DXs and make a 10 G hard drive running....

The motherboard on my 486DX has ISA and VESA(?  not sure if it's VESA... they
looks like a regular ISA bus with a little brown bus in front of it... my
SoundBlaster, which looks hugh to me, is on this kind of bus)...

Thank you very much for the helps from all of you...

Jimmy

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Creative TNT Ultra 2 and Caldera Open Linux
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:31:04 GMT

I have a Creative TNT Ultra 2 AGP card and run a dual boot system(Win 98
and Linux) When using Linux the screen is totally unreadable. I can run
Linux fine with my old ATI rage 128, but this new card will not work at
all. Is there anyway to fix this. I have yet to see anyone with a similar
problem. Most are just over sized screens, with mine the screen looks like
a blurred cable station.Please Help Me!!

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "L. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: RH 6.0 and SIS 620
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:08:55 -0400

Yup.  I've got the dreaded SiS620 on my Caldera OL2.2 box, and i can get
any resolution up to 1280x1024 in 16pp.  Keep in mind that your monitor
may be the limiting factor.  I have a 17" monitor that supports up to
1600x1200.

-L

------------------------------

From: "Dario Andrade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: making linux go away
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:06:16 -0300

Taking advantage of this conversation, how do I SETUP lilo on my MBR??

I mean, the easiest way, without having to read tons of man pages to do
something really stupid (in my opinion)...

--
[]s,
Dario Andrade
Mohd H Misnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:41:28 +0800, Tristan Jones wrote:
> >i found that the easiest way to get "linux to go away" is to dig up a
copy
> >of red hat, start the install and use disk druid to delete partitions.
then

------------------------------

From: "Colonel Panic©" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is reveal card supported- yes, but only as a Sound Galaxy Pro 16!!!
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:48:28 -0400

ahhhhh...reveal....yes....it's an Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro 16, with Reveal
sticker covering the
Aztech Chipset...read the Sound HOWTO...it'll "reveal" even more details..
hint: ya gonna have to compile the module yourself, enable the SG mixer and
MSS flags.......
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Where is X window driver for Intel's 810 chipset? (typo)
Date: 30 Aug 1999 09:09:31 +0800

In article <7qcjsd$31l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Need to get an X window driver for the new Intel's 810 or 810 chipset.
>Any tips are appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>Napi

Sorry, I meant Intel's 810 or 810e chipset.

Napi