Linux-Hardware Digest #131, Volume #14            Fri, 5 Jan 01 09:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Looking for Linux Distribution that runs on IBM AS400 ("Mark Merriman")
  Re: RTL8139 PCMCIA card (Glitch)
  Re: PCMCIA modem (Glitch)
  Re: How can I install my sound card? (es1371) (Glitch)
  Re: What does this mean? (Glitch)
  Looking for good driver for Epson Stylus 760 Color (Morten Skaarup Jensen)
  HP 40*6i problem ("Dmitry Melekhov")
  Re: problem reading windows-created CD-RW (Ross Wonderley)
  Re: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98. ("kiwiunixman")
  Avance Logic Sound & Epson Stylus Color ("Federico")
  Re: RTL8139 PCMCIA card (Harri Haataja)
  Re: D-Link DFE-680 TX (Timo Weidl)
  Orinoco / PCI ("Roy B")
  On my new motherboard parport_pc hangs the kernel 2.2.17 & 2.2.18 (Wojciech
Zabolotny)
  two mice on a linux box ("David Baldwin")
  kernel and SmartRaidV controller (Alexis Roda)
  HELP! module st.o in rescue mode ("Dordt College Management")
  Re: two mice on a linux box (john green)
  Re: On my new motherboard parport_pc hangs the kernel 2.2.17 & 2.2.18 (Cannon Fodder)
  Modem Help Wanted ("Tony")
  CDRW ("E. Bruce Lynn, II")
  winmodem HSP-56 PC-Tel and LINUX?? (Tiefenbacher)
  NEW kernel 2.4 and distro question ("{[ZenmasteR]}")
  Linux & Athlon board PCI problems ("Tomasz Efner")
  winmodem HSP-56 PC-Tel and LINUX?? (Tiefenbacher)
  winmodem HSP-56 PC-Tel and LINUX?? (Tiefenbacher)
  Re: UltraDMA66 HD & Linux 6.2? (Thimo Jansen)
  Re: [webcams] (Famille Chauvat)

From: "Mark Merriman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for Linux Distribution that runs on IBM AS400
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:03:46 -0500

I have an IBM AS400 Model 9402-4XX w/Cobra-lite(modified PPC) Proccessor. I
have heard that there is a Linux distribution that will run on it, but can't
seem to find anyone who knows which distribution it is.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:57:16 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RTL8139 PCMCIA card

all my hardware runs in linux, including my NE2000 pci NIC, dvd, scsi
controller,cdwriter, and my portable mp3 player

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:01:10 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCMCIA modem

Vitaliy S wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I am using Xircom 56 modem and I have Corel Linux OS 1.2 installed on my
> computer. The
> modem works but very slow. Download speed never exceed 19200. The same modem
> with the same ISP works fine up to 53k if I boot to win2k.
> I noticed in Connection wizard that IRQ for modem's serial port is set to 0.
> Does it mean that its not using IRQ at all?
no it means it uses irq 0 but u should still change it

> I know that IRQ9 is not used by any hardware. How can I configure modem to
> use that IRQ?

look at the setserial command

general format is like this

setserial ttyS4 uart 16550a irq 12 port 0xa000

thats how i configure my modem
you will need to find out the io address your modem uses as well as
which ttyS it uses.
To keep that configuration u need to put the setserial line in your
bootup script so that its executed each time u start linux.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:21:55 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I install my sound card? (es1371)

i found my ess1868 is supported by the sb driver that is within the
kernel
i recompiled to make isapnp a module as well as the sound support a
module along with the sb driver, mpu and uart.

after doing that and a pnpdump, since my card is isa plug in play, my
ess1868 works fine.

do a 'locate ESS18'  to find the kernel documentation file for
installing the modules for the card.
or just try 'locate ESS1' since your card is a slightly different model
name than mine.

HTH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:36:03 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does this mean?

Adam Byron Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am runing  md7.0 on a seagate harddrive. During bootup I get the
> following message:
>
> Partition check:
>  hda:hda: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>  hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 >
>
> What does this mean? Sometimes my computer will freeze up solid.  Could
> this be the cause. Is something wrong with my harddrive.?
>
> --
> Adam

when i see these errors it usualy means a bad drive or a drive that u
better get your data off of before it becomes a bad drive.  It meant ot
my laptop that i had a head crash so i sent the laptop back and got a
new drive installed.  Never saw the errors again.....if u see a lot of
them there is defintely seomething wrong.

i'd run fsck on it and do a scan of the surface if possible

------------------------------

From: Morten Skaarup Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for good driver for Epson Stylus 760 Color
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 05:48:28 +0100

I have just installed an Epson Stylus Color 760 printer on SuSE Linux 6.4

I've been looking at the documentation and it looks like Uniprint by
Gunther Hess is the best bet. It has a driver for the Stylus 740, but this
does not give good results. The problem is that the color is not even, but
very speckled.

I would be grateful for any links that would lead me to a driver that can
produce the quality of output that I expected with this printer. I have
been able to produce good quality output on Windows 98, but I don't want to
have to use that operating system.

Regards

Morten

------------------------------

From: "Dmitry Melekhov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP 40*6i problem
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:19:37 +0400

Hello!

I have following troubles when runnig from cron:

bin/tar: /dev/tape: Cannot write: Input/output error
/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

And /var/log/messages

Jan  3 23:07:07 sgtrans kernel: st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info
fld=0x0, Current st09:00: sense key
Jan  3 23:07:07 sgtrans kernel: Additional sense indicates Data phase error

Any ideas?
RedHat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14

--
Dmitry Melekhov
http://www.belkam.com/~dm

------------------------------

From: Ross Wonderley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem reading windows-created CD-RW
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:51:21 +1100

Phil O. Nous, Ph.D. wrote:

> Help!
>
> I made a CD-RW full of my favorite mp3s using a friend's internet
> connection (and windows machine).  Adaptec Easy CD creator 4.5, I
> think.  Problem is, I can't read it on my linux laptop.  I'm running
> SuSE 7.0 on a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop, got both GNOME and KDE2, and
> I've tried every mount / umount trick in the how-tos but I still can't
> get any files off the CD.
>
> Computers running windows can read the CD fine, though.  I figure it's
> got to be a vfat filesystem, but I'm out of ideas.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Hylas
> (got a shot of my desktop on bb.themes.org)
Are you recording the files on the CD in "packet" format? Linux needs a
special UDF driver for this. I think it is included in 2.4.0 or for version
2.2 you need a kernel patch.

Otherwise, provided your CD-ROM drive is relatively new (<4 years or so)it
should read CD-RW discs asthough they were standard CD-ROMs with no
trouble. Mine did

------------------------------

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98.
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 08:57:16 GMT

Goto a proper Linux support group would be a good first step.

kiwiunixman

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Federico" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Avance Logic Sound & Epson Stylus Color
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:57:26 +0100

Good morning NG
I've got a Als 100+ sound card, that is not supported by my linux (Caldera
2.2). Could you help me please, I downloaded
the alsa driver (ver. 5.'something') and opened it as a text file. It seems
to me like a program, but I don't know how to compile
and use it. My printer is an Epson Stylus Color 440, I downloaded the stp
driver, but I can't find the printrc file which they told me
to append on. I'm quite confused HELP ME!!!

Thanks
Federico

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:00:08 GMT

Don't feed the trolls!

(All my hardware has always worked in Linux, JFTR)

From: Timo Weidl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link DFE-680 TX
Date: 05 Jan 2001 11:30:00 +0100

Hello,

it is still not clear to me what created the initial problem,
but after some reinstallation of parts of the system the card
seems to work fine (with tulip).

Timo

------------------------------

From: "Roy B" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Orinoco / PCI
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:54:33 GMT

Has anyone solved the problems associated with use of Lucent (Wavelan)
Orinoco wireless lan cards in desktop PC's via the PCI adapter?

As I recall there was some sort of problem with the PCI card not
operating correctly with pre-PCI-2.2 motherboards?

I've got one coming and wish to use it on a Freesco router box.
MS has recently released a Win2K driver update that purports
to solve the problem.  I really would rather not have to revert
to Windows just to get a wireless network adapter going.

------------------------------

From: Wojciech Zabolotny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: On my new motherboard parport_pc hangs the kernel 2.2.17 & 2.2.18
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:58:26 +0100

I just discovered a strange behavior of 2.2.17 & 2.2.18 kernels.
When I set EPP mode for parallel port in BIOS, the loading of
parport_pc module results in immediate system freeze.

When I set the SPP mode, parport_pc works fine (but I can't
use the external CD recorder, because the transmission is too slow
in "nibble" or "8 bit" mode). In fact only setting EPP 1.7 allows
my HP 7200e to work correctly (with paride, epat & pg drivers), all
other settings do not allow epat to work in EPP-32 mode.
So now I have to change BIOS settings and reboot the machine every time,
when I want to use CD recorder or printer...

I don't know whether the problem is caused by buggy BIOS or by
parport_pc driver.
Has anybody experienced similar problems?

My motherboard is EP-7KXA working with K7 Athlon 650 MHz
--
                        TIA
                        Wojciech Zabolotny

From: "David Baldwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: two mice on a linux box
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:03:14 -0000

Hi there, has anyone ever tried running two mice on a linux box at once?
I'm not worried about pointers on the screen, just as long as I can pick up
the input from the second device in my program.
(I've been trying to do this on mac but without any success so far)

I'm a complete newbie to linux apart from a bit of telnet, but willing to
learn if it means I can get this done!

if anyone's got any advice/files or urls that'd be fantastic!
thanks
dave

------------------------------

From: Alexis Roda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: kernel and SmartRaidV controller
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 12:03:46 +0100

Hi,
this week I have upgraded a computer from debian 2.1r4 to 2.2r2, the
process went very smooth and all seems to be fine. My problem is when I
try to get the kernel (2.2.17) to detect the SmartRaidV controller. I've
downdoaded some patches from adaptec's web site and followed the
instructions but either they don't apply cleanly, or kernel compilation
dies or the computer gets unusable (load average over 6 and SCSI bus
hanging).

Currently I'm running the old 2.0.36 kernel with SmartRaidV support but
I would like to upgrade the kernel too. Any one has experienced the same
problems? any clue?

Happy new year and TIA
--
                                  ////
                                 (@ @)

From: "Dordt College Management" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP! module st.o in rescue mode
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:17:42 -0600

I am attempting to restore a RedHat 6.2 system from backup tape in the
rescue environment that ships on the 6.2 CD.  My problem is that kernel
module st.o is not present in the rescue environment, and so I can't access
the tape drive (scsi 0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0).

I located a copy of the st.o file from another linux system, but when I
attempted an insmod it gave me an error something like:

" module st.o was compiled for kernel 2.2.16-3.
  It cannot be loaded into kernel 2.2.14BOOT0"

Can anyone tell me how I can gain access to my scsi tape drive in rescue
mode?  This is critical, and time is ticking away...

Thanks!

Dave DeHaan
Dordt College Computer Services

From: john green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: two mice on a linux box
Date: 05 Jan 2001 11:15:13 +0000

"David Baldwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi there, has anyone ever tried running two mice on a linux box at once?
> I'm not worried about pointers on the screen, just as long as I can pick up
> the input from the second device in my program.
> (I've been trying to do this on mac but without any success so far)

Newer versions of Xfree86 have facilities for multiple
pointers, in addition to the "core" pointer. This is
principally used in the Gimp to support graphics tablets,
but perhaps could be used for extra mice too. Search for
"Xinput" "GTK+" "extended pointers" & good luck!

-j
--
J.J.Green, Dept. Applied Math. University of Sheffield, UK
http://www.arbs.demon.co.uk

------------------------------

From: Cannon Fodder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 11:38:58 GMT

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:

>Has anybody experienced similar problems?

Umm similar problems but might not be too helpful. In RH5.2,
using the stock kernel 2.0.36, all I had to type in to use the
parallal port zip drive was 'insmod ppa'.  However, in
RH6.1(stock kernel 2.2.12-20), I had to add some stuff to my
/etc/conf.modules file:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378

alias ppa scsi_hostadaptor

HTH in some small way,
CF

------------------------------

From: "Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Help Wanted
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 19:06:50 +1100

Hi,
    I have my usb reading the modem and it knows the exact modem. But i dont
know how to get a ppp client to talk to it from here ???   or what /dev/tty*
it is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Tony

------------------------------

From: "E. Bruce Lynn, II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CDRW
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 07:24:22 -0600

Could anyone recommend a good CD-RW that would be compatible with
Slackware 7.1, SuSE 6.4, and possibly Debian whatever the latest
distro is?

--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   = E. Bruce Lynn, II     =
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     = Running SlackWare 7.1 =

------------------------------

From: Tiefenbacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: winmodem HSP-56 PC-Tel and LINUX??
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 14:29:29 +0100

Hi folks
Has anybody by accident come across the problem to use an internal HSP
56 PC-Tel Modem (one of these ugly winmodems?!) under LINUX SUSE 7.0??
The "how to" files and the HSP drivers found on www.linmodem.com still
don´t help solving my problems with recognition of the modem by YasT and
configuration of connection by kppp! Error message: modem is occupied.
Anybody ´can help??
with regards

stephan

------------------------------

From: "{[ZenmasteR]}" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NEW kernel 2.4 and distro question
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 13:34:10 GMT

Which distro will be the first to incorporate the new kernel?
also will the new kernel support my motherboard fully?
its The ASUS CUSL2 which is based on the i815 chipset (extra usb ports
ata100 etc)

--
"La plus belle des ruses du diable est de vous persuader qu'il n'existe
pas."

Remove XS to reply

------------------------------

From: "Tomasz Efner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux & Athlon board PCI problems
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:39:41 +0100

Hallo,

yesterday I've bought my new athlon, motherboard and AGP card.
My current configuration is:
-Athlon 1GHz
-DFI AK74EC motherboard (VIA KT133 with new UDMA/100: VT8363 and VT82C686B)
-128MByte SDRAM (100MHz)
-GeeForce 2MX AGP board (Gigabyte GF1280T)

The problem is as follows:
- when I insert any of my PCI cards (Adaptec SCSI AHA2840UW (aic7xxx
module), Intel Pro100 Ethernet (eepro100 module) or SBLive) and when there
is any activity on this card (like setting IP parameters for LAN card,
probing for SCSI devices, etc) then the system hangs. Card can be inserted
and system works when I do not load any of the drivers).

After recompiling adaptec SCSI module (so it shows more debugging) it shows
big number of lines similar to:
SCSI device sgxx has been found ..." where xx is incremented every line.
There are even ascii characters there (like sgüw, then sgüx and then
sgüy...)

I tried RedHat 6.0, 6.1, 7.0,  Mandrake 7.1 and CorelLinux (and also
compiled kernel 2.4.0-test-8 that used to work on my old K6/200 system) -
and in all versions during installation process just after installer finds
my AHA7880 controller and is trying to access CDROM my system hangs. :-(

My linux works but without any sound, network and even CDROM it is useless
:-( Other devices that are connected to other ports (serial, parallel) seems
to work. So it seems to me that there is a problem somewhere in Linux PCI
driver (or in hardware? - I'll install my test software today: Windows98
just to check this).

Do You have any ideas?

Greetings
Tom

------------------------------

From: Tiefenbacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 14:42:07 +0100

Hi folks
Has anybody by accident come across the problem to use an internal HSP
56 PC-Tel Modem (one of these ugly winmodems?!) under LINUX SUSE 7.0??
The "how to" files and the HSP drivers found on www.linmodem.com still
don´t help solving my problems with recognition of the modem by YasT and

configuration of connection by kppp! Error message: modem is busy.
Anybody ´can help??
with regards

stephan

------------------------------

From: Thimo Jansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UltraDMA66 HD & Linux 6.2?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 15:04:39 -0100

Michael Gong wrote:

> I plunge my UltraDMA 66 hard drive(Maxtor)on the 3rd IDE controller of my
> ASUS CUBX motherboard. Because 3rd and 4th IDE of ASUS CUBX are for
> UltraDMA66 drive.
>
> It works all fine under Windows Me.
>
> I have one Fujisu hd on 1st IDE, one CD-R and one CD-Rom on 2nd IDE. They
> can be detected by Linux and are hda, hdc,hdd(I can see from the boot
> screen.)
>
> I have Windows Me on Maxtor drive and Linux6.2 on Fujisu.

There is no Linux 6.2. You probably are talking about Redhat 6.2, or
Mandrake 6.2 and if you are, you need to do a few extra things to make
Linux see the ATA 66/100 drives. Both Redhat 6.2 and Mandrake 6.2 have a
2.2.x Linux kernel and those didn't have ATA 66/100 support at the time
they were released. See http://sweb.uky.edu/~mabran3/linux/misc/
for install disks for both Redhat 6.2 and Redhat 7.0, dunno about
Mandrake. Follow instuctions in the corresponding README.

> I hope to let Lilo to make a multi-boot between Windows Me and Linux.
>
> In order to modify lilo.conf file, I have to tell Lilo which drive has
> Windows Me.
>
> My question:
> Which drive is the 3rd IDE under RedHat Linux6.2?  is it hde?

Correct, it's /dev/hde. This might work without getting a kernel that
supports ATA 66/100, but, well, I dunno...

> I am a new user for Linux.

:-) Cheers!

Tbimo

From: Famille Chauvat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>