Subject: Re: R: SupraExpress 56i which one is this?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 15:26:06 GMT

In article <7qr99i$tp7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Gabriele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>There is an Italian shop which sells via Internet, and sells the
>Supraexpress 56i PRO (as they say), but they swear it's not winmodem
>"because it's hayes-compatible"
>Can any of you expert watch the photo in attachment? I have taken it from
>the shop at the tech description at:
>http://www.centrohl.it/w3s/H/o7MY_lSyzqPJe5A?H?@217895?80113

The modem in the photo has a Rockwell RLVDL56DPF/SP R6785-61 chip.
This is makes this a HCF/SP (controllerless) modem.  Here is Rockwell's
description of HCF:
http://www.conexant.com/products/modems/v90/hcf_soft56/default.asp#7

The link on the same page is for the ISA modem drivers, not the
SupraExpress 56i Pro.  The ISA modems use the Rockwell ACF chipsets, for
example Rockwell RCV56DLACF/SP R6761-21.  The ACF modems are full hardware
modems.

The Diamond Multimedia page for this modem is:
http://www.diamondmm.de/diamondde/eng/products/comm/56ipro2.htm

To summarize:

*  The SupraExpress 56i Pro (PCI) modem is a controllerless modem
*  The modem in the big photo is a controllerless modem
*  The system requirements on the centrohl.it page do not agree
   with the system requirements on Diamond's page
*  The drivers on the centrohl.it page are not for the 56i Pro
   modem.

Good luck in your shopping!
Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: Jasja Glasbeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XF86Config file for S3 Trio3D/2X (86c362) videocard
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 10:33:54 +0200

Hello,

I've got a (cheap) Daytona Roadster 3d videocard with a S3 86c362
(Trio3d/2x)
videochip onboard (4 MBVRAM).
But this chip is not supported by the XFree Server.
(I installed Caldera Openlinux 2.0).
I'm quite new Linux, but can anybody help me to make a proper XF86Config
file
for this card (if possible)

Thanks,
Jasja

------------------------------

From: Lionel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Computer / Dual CPU Newbie questions
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 19:17:49 +1000

[posted & emailed]

Word has it that on 24 Aug 1999 16:24:11 -0400, in this august forum,
Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>"Mark Biegler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Want to get a new system.  Haven't run Linux in 4 years, and then it was on
>> my 386/40.  Times have changed.  I now want to run Linux + VMWare with Win
>> '98 (for basic office apps and some graphics/audio-related software.)
>>
>> Want to buy a new/up-to-date motherboard with "older"/cheaper CPU (read:
>> Celeron 400 or 433).

I'm running VMWare on a PII/350MHz, & it performs very well.

>> A supplier said "VMWare with Win '98 may suck up your whole CPU even when
>> idle due to busy/wait cycles."

Bullshit.
The Windows APM kicks in when Windows is idle, & the load shown under
'top' drops to almost nothing. The memory requirement is the biggest
hassle.

>  (And, from reading reviews of Win '98 under
>> VMware, it does sound like it is slower.)  He suggested getting a dual-CPU
>> system so that one CPU would be recognized/used by VMware and the other one
>> could still perform Linux processing.
>>
>> Question:  Is this correct?

Yes & no. You don't need a second CPU, but VMWare will use it if
present. There are more details in the FAQ on VMWare's site
(www.vmware.com).

>I believe if you turn on APM support in Windows 98 and install the SVGA driver
>they provide, idle performance is not as heavy.  You can also manually suspend
>the virtual machine when its not in use.

Yes, these comments are both correct.

One point of clarification; to get the best performance, you need to
install their tweaked XFree86 X driver in Linux, & their custom driver
for Windows in the virtual machine itself.
I've just installed this setup & found that when you run the virtual
machine fullscreen, there's very little slowdown compared to running the
same hardware+windoze in native mode. (My system is configured for
dual-boot, with VMWare configured to run '95 drive in a virtual machine,
so it's easy to compare speeds ;^).

>Note, when using VMware you will need
>more memory on the machine (figure you need enough memory for what you allocate
>to the virtual machine plus more for VMware overheads -- if you are going to be
>doing jobs in the background under Linux you obviously will need more).

Yep. My system has 128MB of RAM, with 32MB allocated to the VM.
According to 'top' under Linux, the VM + VMWare's overhead uses 45MB, so
I'll probably try giving the VM 64MB of RAM, as I'm not likely to be
doing a lot of really heavy duty stuff in Linux & Windows
simultaneously.

>  Note,
>you lose almost any special support for graphics/audio/mouse hardware in the
>vmware client, so whatever you run needs to run on vanilla hardware.  Under
>VMware, you are limited to 2 gig disk slices (so 8 gigs max for the virtual
>machine if you don't use a cdrom, 6 gigs max if you do use a cdrom).

Yeah, losing SCSI & some more exotic hardware was a bit of a blow, but I
can still dual-boot to use them when I need them.

>> I don't really want to buy a dual 370 motherboard because I'll have to toss
>> it out when I want to move to the PIII in a year or two.
>
>The way the upgrade game usually works is by the time you upgrade, you need to
>get a new motherboard anyway, since the lifetimes of slots/sockets/etc. is
>somewhat small.

Too true - Intel have lied every time they've claimed they'd stick with
any particular socket, and introduced gratuitous incompatibilities
between CPUs at the drop of a hat.

>> Question:  What's a good / basic AGP-based video card to use with Linux that
>> should also be supported under Win '98?  (read: cheap)
>
>No idea.

Me either, I started off with a S3 Trio 3D/2X AGP card that came with my
desktop, but it's not yet supported (as of XFree86 v3.3.1) under Linux.

Lionel.
  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est

From: "Jan Lundstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq Prosignia 500 and SmartSCSI-II Array problem
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 09:41:13 GMT

Hi
I got a Compaq Prosigna 500 and a SmsrtSCSI-II Array (NCR53c810 driver) and
i'm installing Mandrake 6.0 linux.

Array A    2GB  (RAID 1)  Mount point /
Array B    24GB (RAID 5) Mount point /home

The problem is that I can't write to Master Boot Record.
It says only that an error occured.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jan Lundström
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "FredMaxx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: making linux go away
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 11:36:09 +0200

*heheh*

--

                                    _____________

Anton
Internet Developer (ASP VBScript expert)

Personal site:
http://users.iafrica.com/a/an/antontol
OR
http://members.tripod.com/~AntonT

- potential Linux fan
- Ballroom and Latin American dancing student
- modern artist

<snip>

> >and, consequently, win98 would not install. hmm
>
> Is that a problem???  ;-)

<snip>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Please help-Adaptec 1505 IRQ problems
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 08:48:31 GMT

Me Here <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>SCSIselect was used to disable PNP, and set the IRQ to 9.

Make sure that you reserved this IRQ for ISA non_PNP cards in your
system's CMOS setup.

>The jumper was
>left at port 140.  It works fine with windoze, so I know the hardware
>works, but in Linux (RH6) modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x140,9,7,1 gives the
>following error:

>aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
>aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7,
>reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100,
>extended translation=disabled
>aha152x: trying software interrupt, lost.
>aha152x: IRQ 9 possibly wrong.  Please verify.

[...]

There's either something else grabbing IRQ2/9, or your system
simply doesn't work with that IRQ setting in a reliable way. IRQ2/9
is not a very good selection for ISA cards, anyways. On some systems
this won't work at all, on others only for PCI cards. Try a different
IRQ setting ("dmesg" and/or "cat < /proc/interrupts" should tell you
which are in use).

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Thingi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help! Miro TV card's not working in the u.k?
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 11:14:10 +0100

I've got one but I just can't get the thing to wok in linux.......

I'm using SuSE 6.2 , I've managed to get the rest of my system working
apart from my TV card!

the bttv driver was installed as part of the installation, judging from the
readme's
& howto's, since I get 'tv-snow' in the KWinTV window this is a good sign
that the bttv
driver is working correctly.....I've also got simalar results using other
tv-apps.

What's confusing me is that all the software I've used hasn't given me an
option
to use PAL encoding with a GB 'tuner set', the closest I can get is
Irish....but their
tellies are slightly different to GB ones so is this the problem?

Is it down to the bttv driver not being configured correctly or is it due to
all the software
not seeming to support proper BG PAL broadcasting? What confuses the matter
further
is that I've got cable, the only channel is 56 comming from the cable box
itself. The TV
channel is changed via the box iteslf so all channels are on 56......works
fine in Windows
but not in linux at the moment :-(

If anyone has got a tv card working in the u.k. please help me!

ttfn

From: "Peter Marks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: SCSI Tape, help
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 20:24:04 +1000

James,

sounds like it's all working just fine.

Have you tried # mt erase ?

Note that while it erases the tape I've found that it goes into a state
where you can't stop the job until it's done and it can take a long time to
complete.

Then to do a backup, with tar, something like what you said.

I've used BRU for backup and it's dead simple. I'd amanda looks good but ran
into a problem on a large drive for some reason.

I'd be interested to hear what you come up with.

peter

James Mandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7qt39i$143$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ive managed to get my linux box to detect the just installed HP DDS-2 tape
> drive.
> It comes up in the kernel like this.
>
>   Vendor: HP        Model: HP35470A          Rev: 1009
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>
> No problem. Now.
>
> I look in /dev and I indeed have /dev/tape which is pointing to /dev/st0
no
> worries. normal.
>
> Now, where to from here?
>
> If I do an "mt status" I get this. With or without a tape in the drive.
>
> SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
> Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (10000):
>  IM_REP_EN
>
> NO other MT commands work? I cant rewind it, I cant do anything with it?
The

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ARTEC AT3 scan
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 11:09:54 GMT

hi
does anyone know how to setup the ARTEC AT3 scan SCSI card?
the information I found on the SANE home page does not work.

thanks

Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 04:31:54 -0400
From: Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Amquest modem

My Dad got an Amquest modem from Tiger Direct a few months ago.He paid
$50 approx for it.  I keep sayings its a winmodem but he says its not.
It only matters as far as determining who is right and wrong since he
doesn't use linux and i wont be using his modem obviously but I'd still
like for someone to tell me if it is or not. I read Tiger's ad on it and
it says 'controller-less' 2 times in the description but it says
'controller-based' once.  It's doubletalk.  The second time they mention
that the modem is controller-less they say it's unlike other modems
which make your cpu do all the work....and yet it cant be unlike other
modems b/c thats what a controller-less modem does.

it doesnt make sense, can anyone clear it up?

Thanks
Brandon
P.S. I read somewhere that if the modem says "HCF" or "HCF controller"
or something like that as part of its name, in Device Manager or
someplace, that it is a winmodem but I cant remember if that's true or
not.

--
  For info on Emulation, Virii, Playstation, and Beginners of Linux
    goto my homepage at http://web.mountain.net/~brandon/main.htm

------------------------------

From: bube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NE2000 driver
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 13:55:06 +0200

Hi !

found out lately that the ne2000 driver supplied with S.u.S.E. , Dld and
RedHat 5.2 distributions
are not always compatible with any NE 2000compatible card. Especially
the ones with UL2000 chip
on NE2000 card board.

WHO knows a solution ?.

------------------------------

From: Brian McKerr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 21:34:37 +1000

Peter Marks wrote:

> James,
>
> sounds like it's all working just fine.
>
> Have you tried # mt erase ?
>
> Note that while it erases the tape I've found that it goes into a state
> where you can't stop the job until it's done and it can take a long time to
> complete.
>
> Then to do a backup, with tar, something like what you said.
>
> I've used BRU for backup and it's dead simple. I'd amanda looks good but ran
> into a problem on a large drive for some reason.
>
> I'd be interested to hear what you come up with.
>
> peter
>
> James Mandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:7qt39i$143$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ive managed to get my linux box to detect the just installed HP DDS-2 tape
> > drive.
> > It comes up in the kernel like this.
> >
> >   Vendor: HP        Model: HP35470A          Rev: 1009
> >   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> > Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> >
> > No problem. Now.
> >
> > I look in /dev and I indeed have /dev/tape which is pointing to /dev/st0
> no
> > worries. normal.
> >
> > Now, where to from here?
> >
> > If I do an "mt status" I get this. With or without a tape in the drive.
> >
> > SCSI 2 tape drive:
> > File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
> > Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
> > Soft error count since last status=0
> > General status bits on (10000):
> >  IM_REP_EN
> >
> > NO other MT commands work? I cant rewind it, I cant do anything with it?
> The
> > only other MT command I have managed to get to work is "MT LOAD" which
> > ejects a tape if there is a tape in the drive.
> >
> > My question is. Where do I go from here? How can I erase this tape? How
> can
> > I do a simple backup eg "tar cvf /etc /dev/st0" or something "shrug"
> >
> > Any help greatly appreciated.
> >
> > P.S what tape backup software would you reccommend? I've looked at Arkeia,
> > and it looks pretty good, has windows client too, so I can admin it from
> > winblows box...
> >
> > Cheers, James

Be sure to specify the device when using mt ie;

        mt -f /dev/st0 erase
        mt -f /dev/st0 status
        mt -f /dev/nst0 rewoffl

Another thing. Your tar command is the wrong way round. Try tar cvf /dev/st0
/etc

The device should follow the 'f' option.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brian.

------------------------------

From: Ilkka Saatsi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI Modem & Linux
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 15:56:19 +0300

Hi,
about that much but I just cant make it work.
tell anything about installing modem.

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hate to ask, but
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 21:30:25 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> could anyone suggest a cheapo card with good XFree86 support,

S3 based cards are often cheap and are well supported by XFree86.

> and can support a reasonable resolution?

This depends on your monitor. I prefer 1024x768 at a 17" monitor and
800x600 at a 14" monitor. As monitors are expensive I suppose that you
will buy rather small monitors.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback: