From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: Initio Scsi + Scanner + 2.4.0
Date: 15 Jan 2001 22:10:53 GMT

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 05:27:14, David Levitan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I have a SIIG scsi-2 card (initio chipset) which worked perfectly in the
> 2.2.16 kernel. Attached to it, there is an internal Yamaha 4416S
> CD-Burner, an external minolta SCSI->PcCard reader, and a Umax Astra
> 600S scanner. When I upgraded to 2.4.0, the system hung as soon as the
> initio module was loaded. I disconnected all of the devices, and the
> module loaded without a problem. I then connected each separately, and
> found that the scanner always hung, while the other two had no problems.
> As I said before, they worked well in 2.2.16 and I didn't have any
> problems at that time. However, the upgrade to 2.4.0 does not allow me
> to use the scanner. I did load scsi-mod first, and then any other module
> (ncluding initio, sg, sd, etc...) would fail. When the module loaded, I
> could not exit insmod, but the system worked fine outsite of that (it
> did not crash completely). Can anybody tell me how to fix this? I did
> have the same type of problem before 2.2.12 was released, but that was
> with the CD-Burner.

There is a bug in the current initio driver that uses the BIOS
settings for the wrong SCSI ID to determine the allowable speeds etc
of the attached devices. It uses the correct settings only for id0,
for all the others it uses the settings from twice the SCSI id that it
should be using - eg, for id 1, it uses the BIOS settings that you've
set up for id 2, for id it uses 4, for 3 it uses 6 etc. If you can set
your system up so that it use only ids 0, 1, 3 and 4 etc then you
might be ok. Alternatively you can mail me for the location of a copy
of the source that's been updated to fix this bug.

I can't guarantee that it will fix this but it's a start.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: "frank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,git.unix.linux
Subject: Re: no sound in linux 2.4.0 ( red hat 6.2 )
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:29:58 GMT

If your sound card is not generic one, try ALSA.  You can find it in Linux's
mini-howto:  ALSA-Howto.

news:93vodn$eh1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Raymond Toy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 7 doesn't work with 3C905?
Date: 15 Jan 2001 17:18:47 -0500

    Vidar> I use the "3c590/3c900 series (592/595/597) "Vortex/Boomerang" support"
    Vidar> driver in the standard 2.2.17 kernel.

    Vidar> However, Ray's original problem was that his card would not work with
    Vidar> the standard RedHat7.0 kernel.

The standard RH7 kernel is 2.2.16 something.  I notice that
/lib/modules does have 3c90x.o but from linuxconf, that isn't one of
the options available.  Entering it manually into linuxconf solved
that problem for me.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Ray

Subject: Support for IBM Ethernet 10/100 PCI model 19K4301 card?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kjell M. Myksvoll)
Date: 15 Jan 2001 23:36:02 +0100

Hello,

I've searched a bit but have so far not found any definitive answer to
if the following ethernet card is supported under linux:

  IBM Ethernet 10/100 PCI model 19K4301

Ref.
http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?cntrfnbr=1&prmenbr=1&prnbr=19K4301&cntry=840&lang=en_US

I'm interested in this card because it is also delivered with a low
profile bracket in addition to the standard-height bracket.

Does anyone knows if this card will work under linux?

best regards,
kmm

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xconfigurator
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:39:40 GMT

> First video: Super-VGA
>  Chipset: Tseng ET4000/W32p Rev A (Port Probed)
>  Memory:  1024 Kbytes
>  RAMDAC:  STG1700 15/16/24-bit DAC w/pixel-mux
>    (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
>    (programmable for 6/8-bit wide lookup tables)

Higher resolutions are restricted by the small graphics memory.
Graphics cards with 4-8MB are US$20-40.

> BTW: Is there just the one configuration file (XF86Config) that
> Xconfigurator changes? I want to back up a good copy when I get one again.

/usr/lib/X11/XF86Config
--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Write permissions
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:48:08 GMT

> When I log onto my SuSE 7.0 box as user, I have read but not write
> ("access denied") permissions on the other mounted partitions. The only
> write permissions I have are my user and /tmp directories. However, when

This is normal.

> I log in as root, I have no problems writing to other mounted
> partitions.

This is normal.

> My fstab shows all directories to have rw permissions, though. I have
> tried chmod 777 with all the directories, but to no avail.

Do not change permissions for system files!  You need some reading on
unix system management for beginners.

> ls -l /etc/rc.d
total 28
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Oct 18 13:55 init.d
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2889 Nov  8  1999 rc
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1094 Jan 15 13:07 rc.local
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        13845 Jan  8 19:54 rc.sysinit
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Sep 15 02:14 rc0.d
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Sep 15 02:14 rc1.d
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Sep 15 02:14 rc2.d
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Sep 15 02:14 rc3.d
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Sep 15 02:14 rc4.d
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Sep 21 23:56 rc5.d
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Sep 15 02:14 rc6.d
 ^^^             ^        ^
  | ^^^         owner    group
  |  | ^^^
  |  | everyone else (not owner, not same group)
  | group
 owner

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: MindMaster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Manual switchbox
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:48:10 GMT

> I don't touch my servers too often.

OK, I agree with this, but I am not using my server purely as a server. I
also use this Linux box as a daily computer. I only use my Windows pc for
certain tasks, for which I haven't found good Linux replacements yet.

I often (have to) use MS Money (personal money keeping), MS Project (for my
job), scanning pictures (no drivers yet in Linux), ...

In order to easily share documents and any other data between my systems, I
installed this server (samba). So, I have to switch anyway.

As soon as I can do everything in Linux, I will kick MS out of my Windows
;-).

MindMaster
"Some people call me crazy.
They just don't understand me."

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux IDE RAID Cards
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:54:53 GMT

> Can anyone recommend a good raid IDE controller for Linux.  Preferably
> ATA 100.  We have tried using the Promise controller with limited
> success.  We probably want to run 2 controllers in the server (for more
> speed) with a total of 6 drives.  4 of the drives running raid 1+0 and
> the other 2 forming a separate mirror.  The 2 in the mirror we also want
> to boot off of.

AMI's IDE RAID controller is actually an ATA66/100 chipset with 2 IDE
controllers, similar to HighPoint, Promise, et al.  All raid functions
for the low end RAID controllers are implemented in software and for
linux, this is software RAID.  I have seen a pure hardware device that
mirrors a pair of IDE drives but don't remember the company name.

I have set up and used several configurations with both the old and new
raid tools/kernels using Promise and HPT366 hardware.  The basic rule
for IDE RAID is to group RAID sets across different controllers (eg-
don't mix Masters and Slaves in a set from the same controller).

Assuming you use the onboard chipset for the boot mirror and have 2
ATA100s:

hda + hdc = system disk (RAID 1)
hdb and/or hdd for CDROM, etc.

hde + hdg = stripe set (RAID 0)
hdi + hdk = mirror (RAID 1)

You could use a single ATA100 controller with the same performance* as
so:

hde + hdg = stripe set (RAID 0, Masters)
hdf + hdh = mirror (RAID 1, Slaves)

* Providing RAID 0 writes are finished before RAID 1 writes begin.  This
is based on experience with a single Promise Ultra/33 card and 2
separate RAID 0 sets.  If it's configured incorrectly throughput will
drop from ~2x to ~1/2 of single drive performance.

Here's what's running right now under 2.2.18 with
raidtools-19990824-0.90 and the raid-2.2.18-B0 + ide.2.2.18.1221
patches:

[tim@asus tim]# df | grep md
/dev/md0              33492920    121544  33371376   0% /raid
[tim@asus tim]# cat /etc/raidtab
# sample raiddev configuration file
raiddev                 /dev/md0
raid-level              0
persistent-superblock   1
chunk-size              32
nr-raid-disks           2
nr-spare-disks          0
device                  /dev/hde3
raid-disk               0
device                  /dev/hdg3
raid-disk               1
[tim@asus tim]# hdparm -i /dev/hd{e,g}

/dev/hde:

 Model=IBM-DTLA-307020, FwRev=TX3OA50C, SerialNo=YH0YHF64470
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40
 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
 CurCHS=65535/1/63, CurSects=4128705, LBA=yes, LBAsects=40188960
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 udma5

/dev/hdg:

 Model=IBM-DTLA-307020, FwRev=TX3OA50C, SerialNo=YH0YHF45553
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40
 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
 CurCHS=65535/1/63, CurSects=4128705, LBA=yes, LBAsects=40188960
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 udma5
[tim@asus tim]# cat /proc/pci | grep HPT
    Unknown mass storage controller: Triones Technologies, Inc. HPT366
IDE UltraDMA/66 (rev 1).
    Unknown mass storage controller: Triones Technologies, Inc. HPT366
IDE UltraDMA/66 (rev 1).
[tim@asus tim]# hdparm -tT /dev/hd{e,g}3 /dev/md0

/dev/hde3:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.29 seconds = 99.22 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.92 seconds = 33.33 MB/sec

/dev/hdg3:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.25 seconds =102.40 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.92 seconds = 33.33 MB/sec

/dev/md0:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.25 seconds =102.40 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.13 seconds = 56.64 MB/sec

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: Jason Byrne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 128 PCI supported?  Any sucesses ?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:03:31 -0800

Vidar Skjelanger wrote:

> "Arctic Storm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Has anyone successfully used ATI's All-in-Wonder 128 PCI?
> > If so, how did you do it?  What did you use?
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> > Thanks.
>
> Have it working fine in RedHat7.0, also worked fine in 6.2. But
> this is the 16MB version, the 32MB version was not very well supported
> when I bought it some months ago.
>
> For the TV-tuner: <URL:http://www.core.binghamton.edu/~insomnia/gatos/>

It seems that the latest release of this card (yes... the 16MB PCI
version) uses the Rage 128 Pro chipset and Rage Theater - I assume the
success stories are with the older variety of the card.

I've tried all kinds of things... including the ChipID adjustment, 2.4.0
kernel, gatos/ibtk alternatives from http://linuxvideo.org, etc... and
XFree-4.0.2 - finally took it out... with plans to just 'wait' a little
longer for drivers, etc...

It's quite possible I quit right before I would've found a solution...
but I stuck my Voodoo Banshee back into a Slackware 7.1 system... now
updated to kernel 2.4.0, XFree-4.0.2... (much nicer DRI support... and
not as much tinkering with Mesa/Glide on the 2.2.16 setup)

- Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SBLive 1024 PCI
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:35:15 +0100

Nicolas Rinaudo wrote:

> Does any of you folks know how to set up an SBLive 1024 PCI under
> slackware?
> Thanx a lot,
> Nicolas Rinaudo

well, I had a emu10k1 module lying around in the
/lib/modules/<version>/misc
(in the 2.2.16 version)
so all I did was, as root, type "modprobe emu10k1".
the module loaded correctly, and voila! Sound! as in
mpg123 something.mp3

another way, if you check out /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOS/Sound-HPWTO,
is to use "cat file.wav > /dev/dsp", you should get sound (once you
loaded the driver of course!)

hope it'll help just a tad...

John

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup,fr.comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: TV under Linux on ATI AIW128 32 MO AGP.
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:13:30 +0100

How can I proceed to install all drivers & software to watch TV on Linux
with the following material :

ATI All In Wonder 128 32 Mo AGP.
Mandrake 7.2 distrib.

What XFree do I need : XFree86 3.3.6 or XFree86 4.0.x ?

From: "Jim Shaffer, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: questions about the sound mixer
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:45:22 -0500

I'm running Mandrake 7.2 and I have a Soundblaster AWE64 Value sound card.  I've
noticed two areas in which Linux's sound system behaves differently from
Windows, and I was wondering if there was any other way of doing it.

Most importantly, I have seen no mixer program that lets me mute a channel while
still recording from it.  Under Windows, I can be recording from the line input,
and adjusting its level, while having it muted so I don't have to listen to it.
Under Linux, while I can select the input I wish to record, I can't turn it down
so I can listen to other channels.  If I turn down the volume slider for that
input, the recording level goes down also.  This is annoying because I like to
decode various digital signals from shortwave radio, but after I have them tuned
in I don't need to listen to them (I can monitor the level visually) not to
mention that some of them need to be a little louder than I like to listen to to
decode properly.

The second thing that bothers me is that at boot time, when the sound card is
initialized all inputs are on and the volume is at maximum.  The mixer settings
are loaded immediately thereafter, but for a moment there's a burst of whatever
is connected to the input if I've left something connected to the input.  This
is particulary annoying if I'm using headphones :-)  The reason I don't always
remember to shut off my radio when booting into Linux is because under Windows,
I don't have such a problem.  Somehow, the sound card is apparently initialized
with whatever my last settings were, even on a cold start.  Under Linux, even on
a soft reboot the settings apparently get wiped.

I can live without a solution to the second problem, but I'd really like to have
something to take care of the first one.

--
Earth for Earthlings!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Missing IRQ for USB controller
Date: 16 Jan 2001 00:47:10 GMT

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:18:33 +0100, Rolf Bleher staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>My USB controller is enabled in the BIOS but Linux does not see an
>interrupt line for it.
>2.2.16 (SuSE 7.0), MSI-5169 motherboard with ALi15X3 chipset,
>AMD-K6-II-350, 128MB.
>I installed Windows for testing and USB works, so it should not be a
>direct hardware/BIOS related problem.
[snip]

<shot type="in the dark">
The last time I messed around with USB and Linux, I found there were two
options I had to set to "YES" in the BIOS:  "Enable USB" and "Assign IRQ
for USB".  If I set the first but not the second, the kernel would see
the USB UHCI device, but not be able to do anything with it, similar to
what you found.  This took me a few minutes to figure out because the
BIOS on my board (Epox VIA MVP3G2) has a lot of (poorly documented)
options.

Win9x wasn't affected by the "Assign IRQ for USB" setting--could've been
that PnP OS thing interfering with "normal" operations....
</shot>

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: the Everrambling and MultiSyllabic Sean DEE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CISCO 675 Modem
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:03:50 -0800

http://www.users.qwest.net/~awagner/index.html
http://www.users.qwest.net/~agondor/
http://www.sushisoft.com/adsl/
try out these, a combination may be useful, unfortunately I currently
have the 605 in my set-up which will forever seem to be unusable in
linux

--
"We are Microsoft, of Borg. General Protection Fault in module
assimilate.exe : Resistance izkx GPF 0x56548820 Application RESIST.EXE