Linux-Hardware Digest #184, Volume #13            Thu, 6 Jul 00 06:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Need soundcard suggestion. (rojo ojo)
  Re: IBM Netfinity vs. VA Linux machines ("Michael Lord")
  Re: 2 PCMCIA cards (David Efflandt)
  Re: IBM Netfinity vs. VA Linux machines (Kevin Collins)
  Re: Configuring Display in X (Chem-R-Us)
  Re: Laptop recommendation? (Chem-R-Us)
  Re: [Q] System  optimizations ("Flying Dutchman")
  kenwood 72x cd-rom on linux? ("Daniel Bacchetti")
  Re: What the HE-- is this "chewtoy" (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Linux + PCMCIA 3c589D Combo (Cezary Sydlo)
  Touchpad configuration, setting buttons to different values. (Walter Francis)
  Re: Warning: unable to open initial console (Eric)
  Re: play CD-R under linux. (Chetan Ahuja)
  SB Live! and multiple DSPs (Daniel Wagner)
  SB 16 PCI ? Sound card suggestions. Please. (Chetan Ahuja)
  What modem (jkauffman)
  IRQ timeouts on IDE - please help! (cmd640b) (SysCrash)
  Re: PCI: Device 00:3b not found by BIOS?? (Glenn)
  Re: What modem ("S. Johnson")
  Re: Linux and the Tyan S1833 ("S. Johnson")
  Re: IRQ timeouts on IDE - please help! (cmd640b) (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Linux CAM ("S. Johnson")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rojo ojo)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Need soundcard suggestion.
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:59:29 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 13:05:56 -0400, Mike Huskey
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:44:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>Look at the Sound Blaster Live! Platinum. It has everything under the
>>sun and for only $150.
>
>Does it have a built in amp? I've got some damn good bookshelf
>speakers that I don't want to give up.

The SB Live only has line outs, no powered amp onboard, so you'd need
powered speakers or (better) a hifi amp to plug the hifi speakers
into.

R O
'. . . my eyes was a lot redder than his was.'
Remove the red from my eye to reply.

------------------------------

From: "Michael Lord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Netfinity vs. VA Linux machines
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:18:51 GMT

Anymore comments, observations?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: 2 PCMCIA cards
Date: 6 Jul 2000 04:45:28 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 16:20:54 +0200, Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have Toshiba Tecra8100 laptop with RH6.2 installed. I have 2 PCMCIA
>sockets availiable. I need one for ethernet card and another for serial
>(actually GSM card). Each of them work fine, if it is alone.
>I use 3com589 (network) and Psion Gold Card GSM (serial).
>I tried Ericsson DC23 GSM card as well.
>In case of 2 cards I have a problem with IRQ. I couldn't use
>second card at all.
>After booting with 2 cards:
>#cardctl config
>Socket 0: irq10
>Socket 1: no information about irq...

What pcmcia-cs version do you have?  Versions before 3.1.10 did not handle
modem irqs properly with newer kernels.  The latest version is 3.1.17.

>If only one card inserted, it always gets irq10.
>I have also followinf HW: com1(ttyS0), Yamaha sound, PS/2 mouse,
>Lucent V.90 modem (I guess winmodem).

You might check out http://www.linmodems.org/ about a module for your
Lucent if it does not show up in 'lspci' or your kernel boot messages.  If
you have infrared, that may be one of the serial devices you see,
although, it might not automatically have the proper irq if it shows 8250
UART.

>What could I do in order to get irq for second card?

It should simply work.  I have separate nic and modem cards and they both
work at the same time on my Sony (I have Yamaha sound also).

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: Kevin Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 5 Jul 2000 21:18:51 -0700

Eric-

I would invite you to contact us again about hardware needs should you have
them. I think you will find our hardware is indeed *not* considerably less
upscale in comparison to IBM as you hint at and indeed in the past years we have
expended considerable resources in engineering and production to make sure it is
rock solid. I mean that. :-) The original system you purchased was quite some
time ago and I think the VA you remember has changed immeasurably since then.
Have you taken a look at our product line lately? Not trying to be a pitchman in
a newsgroup, but the whole company here takes our product very seriously and we
*are* committed to making our customers happy. I am sorry you had the past bad
experience but you do mention your latest box is very stable. I hope that gives
you an indication of the state of affairs. :-) If you have concerns, call or let
me know.

Cheers-
Kevin
VA

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:22:04 -0700
From: Chem-R-Us <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring Display in X

David Stackis wrote:

> I have just installed RedHat 5.2....
>
> I can log in under root, and initiate startx.....but when the gui comes up,
> everything is so huge, I can't read anything....
>
> How can I configure my display...
>
> I am using a Diamond Monster Fusion w/16MB RAM on the card......it's not
> recognized, and I'm trying to give it the proper resolution modes w/out any
> luck.
>
> Tonight I am going to try a S3 ViRGE card to see if I have any better
> luck....

Yep, you're running at low resolution.

Get the info on your video card and your monitor (vertical specs [in Hz]
and horizontal timings [in KHz]) and then run, as root,
/usr/X11/bin/xf86config. Answer the questions and that should get x
running acceptably. Then edit /etc/X11/XF86Config to select the default
mode for operation. You can also manipulate video timings to optimize
the X server.

--

Chem-R-Us

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:32:38 -0700
From: Chem-R-Us <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laptop recommendation?

Steve Woodward wrote:

> Hi all! I am going to pick up a used or refurb laptop to run Linux on. I
> just wondered if anyone had any experiences with a particular make/model
> that was compatible. I currently run Caldera 2.4, and I would want to run X
> on the laptop. Thanks in advance!

I don't know anything about Caldera, but I've been using a Dual AMD K6/2
300 MHz at 1024x768 X resolution under Dead Rat 5.1, upgraded to
Linux-Mandrake 6.0, then upgraded to Mandrake 7.0, and finally to
Mandrake 7.1. The PCMCIA modem works just fine, and the IRDA system
works. Currently running kernel 2.2.16. Been running the K Destop with
no problems.

The only problem I ran into was getting the touchpad to work under
Linux-Mandrake. That's why I did the RH5.2->LM6.0->LM7.0->LM71 bit.

--

Chem-R-Us

------------------------------

From: "Flying Dutchman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Q] System  optimizations
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:03:41 +1000

Yes, go and have a look at: "www.openna.com"   and look for the topic
Securing+Optimizing Linux.

Great info

Cheers

JohnI

n article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brad Smith

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Bacchetti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kenwood 72x cd-rom on linux?
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 07:04:25 GMT

Will the new Kenwood 72x cd-rom work on linux?

------------------------------

Subject: Re: What the HE-- is this "chewtoy"
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 07:11:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terrance E. Hodgins) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>What's the point, to waste bandwidth?

People with nothing better to do.... I guess the point is to make the
_real_ messages difficult to find for all us decent people :(

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22718452
Steenstrupsgate 5 B     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Cezary Sydlo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Linux + PCMCIA 3c589D Combo
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 09:09:17 +0200

Redhat 6.1 on Toshiba Libretto Notebook
PCMCIA Network card 3c589D Combo

1)
Booting without card => OK
Plug in card => OK

2)
Booting with card => Error
Pull-out-replug-it => Error
Restarting PCMCIA ( /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart )=> Error
Pull-out-replug-it => OK
=> ???

3)
Twisted Pair => OK (when card is recognized)
Coax => somtimes OK, but most of the time not!

Please help. Thanks.

Cezary Sydlo

------------------------------

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Touchpad configuration, setting buttons to different values.
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 03:26:32 -0400

I just purchased a split keyboard with a touchpad today and I'm hating 3
button mouse emulation..  I do cut 'n paste a lot, and chording the two
keys just isn't reliable enough!

I would like to be able to use a tap as mouse button 1 (already works
that way), the left button as button 2, and the right button as button
3.  I have been using tap for button 1 all night and it works pretty
good.  Not quite as accurate I'm finding, but it's okay.  I'll get used
to it. :)

I think gpm can do this, but I apparently haven't set it up correctly.
I tried "gpm -B 231 -R" even though I'm not sure that sequence is
correct.  Again, I want the physical buttons to be buttons 2 and 3.

Second problem, is I'm not sure how to set XF4.0 to use gpm..   I tried
the following, except flipping the commented lines around, didn't
work..  the mouse wouldn't move at all.

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "GlidePointPS/2"
#    Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
#    Option "Device"      "/dev/gpmdata"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

Thanks for any help!  :)

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by Red Hat Linux 6.0

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Warning: unable to open initial console
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 06:52:49 GMT

Roelof Knibbe wrote:

> HELP!
>
> The other day my system crashed, so I could'nt shutdown properly.
> Linux has'nt come back since. I use RedHat 6.0, with LILO dual boot.
> It used to work fine.
>
> I've tried several LILO options like:
> linux single
> linux root=....
> linux /bin/sh
>
> These options all produce the same error. I do not get a kernel panic
> error.
> It says:

> VMS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 60 k freed
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
>
> I can boot with a rescue image. The other suggestion I found was to use
> mknod (forgot the rest of the command). This didn't work either, it
> coud'nt
> find dev/tty1. I can mount the root however (dev/hdb1) or perform
> e2fsck.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion?
> Thanx
> Roelof

Just some things to try,

Have you done a e2fsck on the / and /boot partitions?
Did anything show up in lost+found?
Did you tried re-running lilo

Eric

------------------------------

From: Chetan Ahuja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: play CD-R under linux.
Date: 6 Jul 2000 06:52:40 GMT

 It's fine. I  regularly burn CD's at 8x speed (using a compro SCSI CD
 writer)  while surfing the web... running a couple of telnet sessions
 etc. The  thing is, cdrecord (the  wonderful command-line software
 that everybody uses for  cd  writing in linux... all the X windows
 based GUI's writing  programs also use cdrecord behind the scenes..)
 uses the  posix real-time priority to write CD's. That basically
 means that it   get's the highest priority of all user processes and
 you can run  almost anything alongside it with impunity. It's very
 very  robust. You have no need to worry.

  Chetan

simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  spoke thusly:

------------------------------

Subject: SB Live! and multiple DSPs
From: Daniel Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Jul 2000 09:26:41 +0200

Hello,

does anybody know if it's possibly to use some of the multiple
DSP-Devices which are provided by the SB Live card - like with
windoze?

Daniel
--
Begathon, n.:
        A multi-day event on public television, used to raise money so

@icq: 41472160 (kwaxi)                      @counter.li: #65688
@www: http://www.pfeilheim.sth.ac.at/members/d.wagner/
@gpg: http://www.pfeilheim.sth.ac.at/members/d.wagner/kwaxi.asc
      C63A 06F0 3E2A A039 E830  83A0 C1DA 3479 803F 078F

------------------------------

From: Chetan Ahuja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB 16 PCI ? Sound card suggestions. Please.
Date: 6 Jul 2000 07:39:43 GMT

Hi,
  I need to buy a  couple of good PCI full duplex sound card. The most
  important application I'm looking for is telephony. (hence the
  importance of full duplex). I don't have  much money to spend on
  these... about US $40-$50 per card would be the top price I'm
  willing to pay (but prefer somthing closer to $30) . SB16 cards seem
  to be rather popular also seem to have good support under
  linux. I'd  prefer that they have good ALSA support of course for
  full-duplex as I hear that the free OSS drivers are all half
  duplex. ( I'm looking for the SB16 PCI card by the way. ISA is not an
  option for me)

    Some other cards I have under consideration are:

    The diamond sonic imapct S100

     Some Trident 4Dwave NX/DX based cards ( from brands like Hoontech,
     Aztec etc.)

     I'm open to suggestions. In fact you could say I'm desperate for
     good suggestions as my experience in getting sound working with
     linux has not been a good one in the past (and I've been using
     linux for close more than 5 years!!!). So please please write any
     good/bad experiences you have with a particular card.

      By the way, another thing I'm looking for is good microphone
     input quality as I'd really  like to experiment with via-voice
     toolkit from IBM. But telephony is the main thing at the moment.

      Thanks a lot
      Chetan

------------------------------

From: jkauffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What modem
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:01:59 -0700

Having spent several hourse unsuccessfully trying to get
linux (Mandrake 7.1) to recognise mt modem, I had a poke
around in the supplied documentation and have reached the
conclusion that it is one of the so called 'winmodems'. My
question is can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap modem
that is compatible with linux. Also, how can I tell if a
modem will be compatible? Will any Hayes compatible modem
do?

Comments appreciated

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

Subject: IRQ timeouts on IDE - please help! (cmd640b)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SysCrash)
Date: 6 Jul 2000 19:54:29 +1000

Last night my linux box just decided to try something different and refuse
any disk access, replying with messages along the lines of:

hdb: IRQ timeout: status 0x00
hdb: IRQ timeout: status 0x40 {DriveReady}
ide0: reset: success
hdb: drive not ready for command. Drive timeout.

...and a multitude of others.

After a few reboots and playing with BIOS settings, I eventually just set
everything the way it was when things were weird and cold booted the system
and now it works again.

This has never happened before (in the last 5 years that I've had the
system) but I suspect it's something to do with the following message I've
always received at bootup (since I've also had some other fishy stuff
happening under winblows a few years back):

ide0: buggy cmd640b interface on PCI (type1), config=0x5e
ide1: serialized, secondary interface okay

I'm running RedHat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36) on an Asus P5SP4 mainboard w/pentium
66 processor and two 512MB quantum fireball hard drives.

IDE0 = master: fireball1, slave: fireball2
IDE1 = master: IDE CD-ROM
(I think)

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!

~Crash

------------------------------

From: Glenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI: Device 00:3b not found by BIOS??
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 09:58:09 GMT

Thanks Vladimir,

For showing me how to read this and pointing out the limitations of the
kernel.
Glenn
=====

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 05:04:39 -0500
From: "S. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What modem

jkauffman wrote:

> Having spent several hourse unsuccessfully trying to get
> linux (Mandrake 7.1) to recognise mt modem, I had a poke
> around in the supplied documentation and have reached the
> conclusion that it is one of the so called 'winmodems'. My
> question is can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap modem
> that is compatible with linux. Also, how can I tell if a
> modem will be compatible? Will any Hayes compatible modem
> do?
>
> Comments appreciated
>
> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
>Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

I have an external modem.  It's a Creative Labs "Modem Blaster Flash 56K."  I know it
was quite inexpensive and it worked right away.  kppp is a good tool
to use as well.

SJ

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 05:07:52 -0500
From: "S. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and the Tyan S1833

Lou Grinzo wrote:

> Anyone here have experience with Linux on the Tyan 1833
> mobo?  I'm interested in running this with a pair of
> P-III's, likely 750MHz.
>
> Are there any problems with Linux and the VIA Apollo
> Pro 133A chipset?
>
> Does the UDMA 66 IDE support work with Linux?  If so,
> any particular distros to lean toward or away from?
>
> I'd like to stick with RH 6.2 if at all possible on
> this system, in case that matters.
>
> TIA.
>
> Lou

I have a Tyan motherboard with a 350-PII and I have not had any
problems.  It has been too long ago to remember the model number...

SJ

------------------------------

Subject: Re: IRQ timeouts on IDE - please help! (cmd640b)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 10:06:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (SysCrash) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>ide0: buggy cmd640b interface on PCI (type1), config=0x5e

The CMD640 chipset has a bug that may cause filesystem corruption when used in
certain ways - take a look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt. I think
there's also some info on it in the hdparm man page ("man hdparm").

Seems your kernel is already configured to handle the bug, but make sure your
kenel has enabled the CMD640 bug fix under Block devices.

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 05:11:34 -0500
From: "S. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux CAM

Can anybody reccommend a good USB Cam or any other type that works with
a 2.2.12smb kernel?

SJ