Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 10:09:35 +0800
From: "Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help! Could anybody recommend a book of Writting Device Driver?

Dear All,

I am learning how to write Device Driver in linux.
Could anybody recommend a book about how to write Device Driver?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Jim Morrissey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TNT video card
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 02:29:30 GMT

Run Xconfigurator, set the screen size = resolution (e.g. 1024x768) and
you're all set. SVGA is the proper driver.

        -Jim

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 19:36:00 -0700
From: Mark Roderick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mounting a USB Iomega Zip 250 disk

I compiled support for USB and USB Mass Storage into the 2.3.99-pre8
kernel.  The device is recognized on boot. However, when I go to mount a
disk (mount -t msdos /dev/sda /mnt/zip) I receive the following error:

Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status = 0, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
sda : extended sense code = 2
sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
unable to read partition table

I have also tried to mount specific partitions (/dev/sda4, etc) but the
same error is generated.

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated!

--Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 23:08:59 -0400

Robinson wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am learning how to write Device Driver in linux.
> Could anybody recommend a book about how to write Device Driver?
>
> Thanks!

Go to the following web sites and search for "Device Driver Linux":

www.readmedotdoc.com
www.fatbrain.com
www.amazon.com

Also check out the book list in www.cheapbytes.com.

--
Mark Bratcher
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Elton Woo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: unable to access CD ROM when superdisk added.
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 00:35:07 -0400

                        I am using Mandrake 7.0, and have the following
problem: whenever I add my
LS-120 (superdiak) drive  as an accessible hard drive /dev/hdc (vfat), I
am unable to access
my CD writer drive. By default, Mandrake dupermounts both the 1.44
flloppy drive, and
the CD drive. Once I run Drakeconf (linuxconf), and add the superdisk
floppy, I come to
grief.

                    I have installed, and re-installed Mandrake several
times this past week, nuy
still no joy.  My latest install was done with "automount",
*DE-selected. However, I
notice that though the CD is no longer automounted, it is *not*
referenced in the mtab
file.
                Kindly pardon my ignorance, but should this have
identical enrries as the fstab file?

                 Contents of my FSTAB file:
/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda5 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hda7 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto sync,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,unhide 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0
/dev/hdc         /mnt/hdc        vfat
user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto,conv=auto 1 1

       Contents of my MTAB file
:/dev/hda5 / ext2 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hda7 /home ext2 rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hdc /mnt/hdc vfat rw,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,unhide,user=elton
0 0

    I need to access *both* my superdisk drive and writable CD drive.
Please respond via provate email to the address below:

        respectfully,

    Elton Woo

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - ICQ#9984432 - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA.
"You only live once, so let's make life easier for each other."

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: G400 and xfs
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 00:38:30 -0400

Sandhitsu R Das wrote:

> I installed Xfree 4.0 and the mga driver loads fine. But X doesn't start
> up - says "couldn't find default font 'fixed'....any workarounds ? I tried
> specifying FontPath explicitly by directory names in XF86config - doesn't
> work. When I use "unix/:-1" it says - "deleting unix... from fontpath".

That's because you probably don't have it. If you do have it, you need to
specify the absolute path name, like so:

    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

Look in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts and see what you actually have.

------------------------------

From: Elton Woo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: *writable* cd (WEARNES CDRW-4424) supported in linux?
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 00:41:29 -0400

    Is anyone using the Wearnes CDRW-4424 in linux? I would like to know
if this writable CD drive
is supported in rRed Hat ot SuSE.

    Kindly send your response  directly to me, since I am not a member
of any current linux
list.

    Thanks in advance,

    Elton Woo

From: Elton Woo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: Elton Woo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Trussell)
Subject: 2nd drive for Linux
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 04:59:10 GMT

I have a Gateway Performance 800 with a 30 Gb drive controlled by a
Promise Technology Ultra66 IDE controller.  I have a 6.4 Gb Western
Digital Caviar sitting around.  I'd like to put Linux on it.  I tried
to hang it off the Promise controller as a slave.  Win98 saw it but
the Red Hat 6.1 installation didn't.  The CD drive is on the 2nd
on-board IDE controller so I tried to hang it off there as a slave.
Red Hat still couldn't see it.

Which controller do I use (1st on-board, 2nd on-board, Promise) and
what do I set the Caviar to (master or slave)?

Thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: 2nd drive for Linux
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 05:11:06 GMT

On Mon, 22 May 2000 04:59:10 GMT, David Trussell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a Gateway Performance 800 with a 30 Gb drive controlled by a
>Promise Technology Ultra66 IDE controller.  I have a 6.4 Gb Western
>Digital Caviar sitting around.  I'd like to put Linux on it.  I tried
>to hang it off the Promise controller as a slave.  Win98 saw it but
>the Red Hat 6.1 installation didn't.  The CD drive is on the 2nd
>on-board IDE controller so I tried to hang it off there as a slave.
>Red Hat still couldn't see it.
>
>Which controller do I use (1st on-board, 2nd on-board, Promise) and
>what do I set the Caviar to (master or slave)?

The installation will not recognize a UDMA66 controller. I don't see any
reason it shouldn't work on any of the std IDE controllers though. Is
the drive set in BIOS? Set jumpers for whatever it is -- master, then
master, etc.

--
Hal B

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem : Line not clean error!
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 05:30:56 +0100

Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it?
Sandhitsu R Das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> just had to go and say:

>> > May 21 08:13:08 localhost pppd[630]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
>> > May 21 08:13:08 localhost pppd[630]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0

        Huh?  Doesn't PPP require an 8 bit connection?  Why would your ISP
switch to 7 bits, or is that at your end?

-                Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
                            GNUke The Planet!
                          The GNUclear Network®
Registered with the Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org        ID# 177869

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Motherboard/hardware question, bell rings
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 05:30:54 +0100

Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it?
David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> just had to go and say:

>The question is who is putting up the beeps?  If the motherboard
>is bad and bios cannot even scan the system and put up its report
>who is beeping?

        Like everything, there are bootstrap routines.  The POST (Power On
Self-Test) is loaded and started by the CPU, and then the CPU examines
itself and the memory segment containing the POST routines.  Then it goes
on to test the motherboard, buses, timers, and then it starts checking the
video, memory, the keyboard, and finally the drives.
        According to the PC Configuration Handbook I have, if the system stops
with no beeps or visible display (except for maybe a cursor), it's either
the CPU or the motherboard, and the POST stops there.  You've already
verified the CPU's okay, so...
        If the system emits one long beep followed by one short beep, your ROM
or system timers are screwed.  POST halts.
        If the system emits one long beep followed by two short beeps, your
display is screwed and POST continues with the memory, keyboard, and drive
tests.

        Your POST my be slightly different (it's an old book and doesn't cover
the 586 processor series), and it sounds like you *definitely* have
motherboard problems, possibly a bus/interrupt problem.  A few last checks
to try is putting the video card in another slot, and to check your BIOS
interrupt settings for the slot(s) in question (try clearing your BIOS
settings via the jumper, since video is fubar).  It's weird that the POST
continues executing after the CPU and motherboard have been checked
(meaning they've passed inspection), but the video won't work when the card
was verified to be good.  You never said anything about checking the RAM,
so if you haven't already, try juggling the RAM from one bank to another.
The only other thing I can think of besides motherboard problems is a
conflicting video/ethernet interrupt in BIOS, which shouldn't survive
resetting the BIOS.  Anyway, I hope you find it...

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 05:30:55 +0100

Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it?
David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> just had to go and say:

>I also tried a new video, monitor and new ram.

        Oh.  Well, forget what I just said then. <sighs>

From: Hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ABit Dual Celeron Linux Box Installation
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 05:41:58 GMT

Hello,

I just build SMP Linux box and hooked internet using Cable Modem. :-)

I spent almost two weeks testing and setup programs.

The below is the Hardware Spec:

CPU: Intel Celeron 466MHz x 2
RAM: 64M SDRAM
HDD: Western Digital 10.2 GB
Motherboard: ABit BP6 Socket 370
NIC : PCI PnP Ethernet <- used one
Sound Card: Creative Ensonic Audio PCI
VGA: Trident TGUI 86xx

This system's IRQ is very strange.
Eternet Card's IRQ is 17.
Sound Card is IRQ 16

PS/2 mouse didn't work X-Window so, I changed it serial mouse.

The motherboard manual only describes IRQ 15.
Linux gives IRQ range upto 18.
(In Windows 98, Ethernet Card has IRQ 10 and no IRQ above 15.)

After Kernel compilation and rebooting the new kernel image made the
system stop two times.
The One was  Out Of Memory while 'Finding Modules'.
The other was just stop.

I've experienced a little headache cause I didn't have well-known Linux
distribution CDs:
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian. Many minor distribution companies use their
pakages and modify it.
Most common installation is no problem. Well, configuration network,
kernel compile makes error not
described in the HOWTOs. :-(

SMP machine is faster than single processor machine? For example,
Celeron 466 x2 is faster than Pentium III 500? I'm not sure.

It's speed is faster than I expected compare with the expense.

------------------------------

From: "Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NIC Card....
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 07:08:37 GMT

I'm running Caldera 2.3, kernel 2.2.10.  I am needing to install a nic card
for cable modem access.  The USB one doesn't have drivers that will compile.
I would like to know of some nic cards that install w/o having to
download/compile drivers.  I just want to install, load module, put in
settings, get on internet.  Please not only give chipsets, but make/model
too.  Thanks in advance.

Jim

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cannot LILO boot after Linux install ... MBR?
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 06:33:38 GMT

No, your MBR isn't corrupted, it just the fact that youare attempting to
use an udma66 controller that gives you problems. There's another thread
in this NG about udma66, look there for more info.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Adrian Sutton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ethernet IRQ conflict - I'm stuck
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 17:40:10 +1000

in article cxmV4.5711$[EMAIL PROTECTED], John Smith at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 20/5/00 12:13 PM:

> Thanks, Tom,
>
> I finally figured it out.   My card was in PCI slot #3, and on the BE6
> motherboard, slot #3 and the HP366 always share the same interrupt.  This
> was why I couldn't change the interrupt in my BIOS.  I put the card in
> another slot and everything works now.

I'm normally a Mac user so I don't know intel hardware much at all.  Would
this kind of set up be common where the slot has a specific IRQ assigned to
it?

I ask because I am trying to get two 3c509 ethernet cards working in a
second hand IPEX P100 I've recently purchased and I can get one working at a
time, but as soon as I put both in, both Windows and Linux lose all network
access.

I'd love to solve this problem if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Adrian Sutton

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                    Ph: 3714 4649
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
        -- Mark Twain.

From: Adrian Sutton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Translating Mac text files & X config
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 17:47:07 +1000

in article
[EMAIL PROTECTED],
WickedDyno at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 22/5/00 10:30
AM:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 May 2000 09:38:50 +0100, Michael Hopkins
>> <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>>> Using LinuxPPC 2000 on a Umax Pulsar Mac-clone.
>>>
>>> Is there a command built into Linux that I can use to translate the
>>> end-of-line character in text files from Macintosh to Linux format?
>>
>> $ cat file.mac | tr \\r \\n > file.txt
>>
>> Don't know if there's anything built-in, but that will certainly
>> work.  Put that in a shell function for maximum flexibility and ease of
>> typing, like so:
>>
>> function machack {
>> cat $1 | tr \\r \\n > $1.txt
>> }
>>
>> Then "machack thing" will convert the Mac textfile "thing" to the Linux
>> text file "thing.txt".  HTH,
>
> From the Mac side, BBEdit (lite) has an option to save in Unix text
> format.

There is definitely no builtin method but if you search the linuxppc-user
list archives at http://lists.linuxppc.org you'll find scripts in every
language known to Linux to convert files (and many arguments about which is
better). :)

Adrian Sutton

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                    Ph: 3714 4649
We have nine children now ‹ half boys and half girls.
  -- Mark Twain.