From: "kyi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: TRUST Video Movie Editor (Zoran ZR35050) - Linux driver?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:22:05 -0700

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: How Change serial device name: ttyS4 -> ttyS2
Date: 15 Jun 2001 00:39:27 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:27:57 -0700, Ray Kraft staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Please don't do that.  On Usenet, plain text suffices.  Fix your
newsreader so it doesn't append those silly "v-cards" to every outgoing
message.  If you want to share contact info, put it in a properly
delimited .signature.

>I have a machine that has onboard serial support for two ports, and an
>additional serial card (Siig CyberSerial 1-port) that supports 1 port.
>I'd like these three ports to show up as ttyS0, ttyS1, and ttyS2 at
>boot, the the kernel always seems to want to assign them ttyS0, ttyS1,
>ttyS4.  Does anyone know how to achieve this?  I've tried setserial,
>but it complains that the port is already in use when I set ttyS2 to
>the irq and address listed for ttyS4.  Its interesting that the kernel
>complains about a "Redundant entry in serial pci_table ...".
[much snippage]

If you want to pretend that /dev/ttyS4 is /dev/ttyS2 , then just "rm
/dev/ttyS2 ; mv /dev/ttyS4 /dev/ttyS2".  It's inelegant, but it'll work.

The fact that it's showing up as ttyS4 instead of ttyS2 is probably
because COM1..4 were standardized back in the early days of PC
architecture, and the board is being careful not to step on any of the
I/O ports or IRQs that those serial ports were defined to use.  Are
there jumpers on the board or some DOS program you can use to change the
COM port number that the board reports?  Did you check in the BIOS and
see if there's anything in there to disable COM{3,4}?

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best
http://www.brainbench.com     /   friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark
=============================/    to read.  ==Groucho Marx

------------------------------

From: Julian Bordas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: buying a CDR/RW
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:52:37 +1000

Hello
    I'm looking at getting a CDR/RW and have narowed it down to three

Creative
LG
Cyber

All are 32x8x4

Any ideas or comments on these?

TIA

Julian

------------------------------

From: "PyrO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KYRO 2 drivers?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:18:33 -0400

Basically XFree86.org makes video card drivers for Linux. I'm not sure if
there is any support for the Kyro/Kyro II chipset for Linux, but if you
check out: www.xfree86.org you'll find your answer.

news:hBWV6.164389$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Tof" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux software RAID mirroring eq. HPT370 RAID mirroring ?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:22:32 -0300

I am trying to install linux (Mandrake 8.0) on a PC (KT7-RAID motherboard)
as a second system for Windows 98. I am using two RAID mirrored disks for
various data and Linux / windows 98 resides on a separate ATA 66 disk on a
"normal" ide controler.
I can boot perfectly both systems, but the problem is that the two mirrored
FAT32 disks appeares as two separate normal disks under Linux and it's
possible to write independently on the two disks ... unsyncing the mirror.

I have a few questions about it :
1) Do i need to install the HPT370 linux patch (even if it doesn't supporte
the mirroring fonction) or is it already included in the Mandrake 8.0 kernel
?

2) If i can't solve this problem, can i use a software RAID mirror under
linux between the two disks that are mirrored with HPT370 under Windows 98
(i.e. "Hardware HPT370" mirroring and Linux Software mirroring are
compatible ?).

3) What is the VT82C686x bug ? Does it apply to the VT82C686A ship ? How can
it be solve ? Is there other well known bugs of Linux using the KT7-RAID
board ?

Thanks a lot for your help, and please send me a copy of your answers via
email : [EMAIL PROTECTED] !

------------------------------

From: Karl Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NEC MultiSync LCD1525V
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:39:58 GMT

Hi,

I'm using an NEC MultiSync LCD1525V monitor on one of my systems and I'm
having some trouble getting it properly configured in X.  I've tried it in
both SuSE 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 and generally get the same results. Most
apps look fine unless I move them around the screen or scroll inside them,
when I do that everything seems to blur rather badly.

I've noticed that in SuSE it only shows up in the monitor list if I choose
to use version 3.3.6 of X.  In Mandrake it shows up regardless of which
version of X I choose, but if I try 4.04 the colors get really messed up.
So bad that I can't even read anything on the screen.  A few applications,
most recently Borlands Kylix but a few others too, even have the color
problems in 3.3.6, making them unusable.

I've tried the monitor on two systems, one using an Elsa Erazor III LT
graphics card, and one using and STB Velocity 128.  Both systems work fine
with other monitors and have the same problems with the NEC, so I don't
think the problem lies in the video card.

I've been using the front ends provided for X configuration with SuSE and
Mandrake since I'm not that familiar with the config files for X.  SuSE let
me manually set the refresh rate, which I set within the ranges specified
in the monitors manual, but it did no good.  I'm running at the monitors
native resolution ( 1024x768 ) and I've tried all the available color depth
settings.

Does anybody else use one of these monitors?  Anybody know how to configure
it so that it works better than this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Karl

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher)
Subject: D-Link DI-701 DSL router setup help
Date: 14 Jun 2001 22:05:16 -0400

I will be getting DSL service through Verizon soon......so they tell
me.  I plan on sharing this connection with 3 computers, but will
primarily be using my Red Hat 7.0 machine as web/mail server.  I have
registered a domain name and dynamic DNS service through EasyDNS.com.

In order to share this connection, I plan on using the D-Link DI-701
router/gateway.  The manuals give excellent instructions for setting up
the router...in Win 98.  Lots of help.  Essentially, it tells me to use
hyperterminal (cringe) to connect to the serial port in COM 2 or to telnet
to the default 192.168.0.1 333 (port 333).

I have connected the gateway to my hub on the uplink port as well as
connected to the second serial port on my computer (ttyS3).  I still
cannot telnet to the gateway to configure it.  Has anyone done this who
can lend me a hand?

TIA

Chris

------------------------------

From: "SDJo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCMCIA Ethernet Card for Linux?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:26:36 +0800

Hi all,

Anyone can tell will PCMCIA ethernet card can use in Linux, eg: Redhat

Many Thanks

Joe

------------------------------

Subject: Re: D-Link DI-701 DSL router setup help
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Jun 2001 22:53:30 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher) writes:

> I will be getting DSL service through Verizon soon......so they tell
> me.  I plan on sharing this connection with 3 computers, but will
> primarily be using my Red Hat 7.0 machine as web/mail server.  I have
> registered a domain name and dynamic DNS service through EasyDNS.com.

Obviously whether or not you can set up a server on a DSL line depends on your
terms of service with Verizon.  Many DSL providers frown on this, and in fact
block popular ports such as 80 (http).

> In order to share this connection, I plan on using the D-Link DI-701
> router/gateway.  The manuals give excellent instructions for setting up
> the router...in Win 98.  Lots of help.  Essentially, it tells me to use
> hyperterminal (cringe) to connect to the serial port in COM 2 or to telnet
> to the default 192.168.0.1 333 (port 333).
>
> I have connected the gateway to my hub on the uplink port as well as
> connected to the second serial port on my computer (ttyS3).  I still
> cannot telnet to the gateway to configure it.  Has anyone done this who
> can lend me a hand?

I don't have that type of router, but I have set up other devices that are
similar.  If you want to use telnet, what you have to do is temporarily set
your network connection with a fixed IP address in the appropriate range,
something like:

    # ifdown eth0
    # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    # telnet 192.168.0.1 333

If you set up the router to do DCHP for the clients, then configure you
ethernet for dynamic addressing.

Note, that generally the second serial port is ttyS2, not ttyS3, in which case
you would use kermit or minicom to talk to it.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: "Greg Tada" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EXP Traveler DVD anybody?
Date: 15 Jun 2001 02:55:42 GMT

I have an EXP Traveler DVD-ROM drive that I'd love to use with my Libretto.
Problem is, I can't seem to get it to work. Anybody have experience with it?
I don't know if I have the wrong driver, if it doesn't have a Linux driver,
etc.

Thanks,
Greg

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Changing from 10 to 100mbs ethernet
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:24:10 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:43:11 -0700, Rich Pinder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >RH 7.0
> >Intel SBT2 system board with an integrated Intel Express card.
> >Originally set up the box using a 10 mbs connection to our network
> >(assume the speed/params were auto sensed from the RedHat install)  Now
> >I've got it connected to the 100mbs wire.
> >
> >I've looked at  ifconfig  (and a few other places!) and don't see what
> >parameter I need to change to get the 100 mb speed.  Also may need to
> >set the card to  full duplex also.  Found the  /etc/modules.conf &
> >eepro100.o file that seem to point to the issues.  But can't figure how
> >to modify these,
> >
> >any thoughts ?
>
> You shouldn't have to change a thing.  The card should use the highest
> possible speed w/out any intervention on your part.

My eepro100, built into a SCSI card, also fails to negotiate when
connected to a dual speed switch.  Worked when connected to a 10Mbps
hub, fails with the 10/100MBps switch, in Windows and Linux.  Works
with both when forced to 100.

I compile the driver into the kernel, so I use a boot parameter:

ether=0,0,0x30,eth0

That's 0x10 for full duplex, 0x20 for 100Mbps, for a total of 0x30.
Adjust to your configuration.

If the driver is loaded as a module, a similar argument can be put
into /etc/modules.conf.  I'm not clear on the syntax; check here:

http://www.scyld.com/expert/modules.html
http://www.scyld.com/network/eepro100.html

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Mark Vulfson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 04:08:43 GMT

I dont think they got the drivers yet, at least i could not find any... well
will play games on windows, do other stuff in linux until the drivers come
out...

Mark

=========
Modify email address to reply directly
news:EndW6.299$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: cfeller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCMCIA Ethernet Card for Linux?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:13:13 -0700

Xircom's cards work good... have both a Xircom PCMCIA modem card, and a
Xircom PCMCIA ethernet/lan card on my RH laptop.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Linux X goes away???
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 04:47:43 GMT

JT wrote:

> bzzt, wrong reply! You loose. Being a newbie, I'm sure the first time you
> installed Linux, you  decide to re-install yourself one time or another.

Nope, I never, even as a newbie, reinstalled Unix
to address configuration issues..

Reinstalling Linux for those reasons is a losing
proposition for 2 reasons:

1. You learn nothing about the problem
2. Reinstalling most likely doesn't fix it anyway.

cu

jjs

------------------------------

From: "gmn17" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB Modem Prob
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:35:58 +1000

I got a Netcomm USB Roadster II myself.
I tried to get Redhat 7.1 to recognise it.
usbview has it.
But kppp can't pick it up.

Any body can help?

news:9g7dpq$9if$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Qasim Ijaz)
Subject: LAN Card Detection
Date: 14 Jun 2001 23:48:23 -0700

Hi,
I recently installed Red Hat Linux 6.2 recently. The problem is I
don't know how to make linux detect my LAN Adapter . I have made the
TCP/IP settings using netconfig but i dont know how to make Linux
detect hardware and install drivers for them . Can anybody help?

Thanx in Advance.

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP!! Problem with LILO
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 06:59:23 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:21:36 +0200, "MEX" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi all. I'm writing because I've a big problem with Lilo when I trying to
>boot W98.
>My configuration is:
>
>Athlon 1200
>Abit KT7A-Raid
>Quantum FireballP LCT20 (on the 1° master hpt370 ch.) hde
>Ibm 13.5 ata66                 (on the 2° master hpt370 ch.) hdg
>Raid hardware is NOT active.
>
>I've installed Linux on the 2° master disk (hdg) with a boot partition
>(/boot) and W98 is installed on the 1° master disk (hde). I've installed
>Lilo on the mbr (w98 disk) with this configuration:
>
>boot=/dev/hde
>map=/boot/map
>install=/boot/boot.b
>vga=normal
>default=linux
>keytable=/boot/it-latin1.klt
>lba32
>prompt
>timeout=50
>disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80
>message=/boot/message-graphic
>menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
>
>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3-20mdk
>label=linux
>root=/dev/md0
>initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>read-only
>
>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3-20mdk
>label=failsafe
>root=/dev/md0
>initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>append=" failsafe"
>read-only
>
>other=/dev/hde1
>label=windows
>table=/dev/hde
>map-drive=0x80
>to=0x81
>map-drive=0x81
>to=0x80

Without the "map-drive=" Windoze would be on the primary hard disk; with it,
Windoze appears on the secondary hard disk.  You want it on disk 0x80.

Get rid of the "map-drive=" stuff.

>other=/dev/fd0
>label=floppy
>unsafe
>
>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5
>label=linux-2.4.5
>root=/dev/md0
>initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.3-20mdk.img
>read-only
>
> With this conf. Linux starts without problem while when I try to load W98 I
>can see 'Loading Windows...' but nothing happens.
>Could someone hep meplease? I don't know what I have to do.

--John

LILO version 21.7 (24-Feb-2001) source at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo
patches to -2 at ftp://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A. GUILLEVIC)
Subject: Strange kernel message about power saving mode
Date: 15 Jun 2001 00:01:04 -0700

Hello,

Since few days, kernel sends strange messages to console. Below, a copy of
these messages:

   Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 20.
   Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
   Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

These three sentences are reapeated time to time.

Here's a description of my hardware:

 - HP LC2000r Server
 - PIII 733
 - 512 Mbytes of memory
 - 3 x 18 Gbytes SCSI ULTRA 160 drives on a AMI MegaRAID controller

Software installed:

 - Red Hat 6.2
 - Kernel 2.2.18 (without power saving mode enabled)
 - Oracle 8.0.6
 - Samba
 - WebSphere 3.5.4 (+Apache)

   What could these messages mean ?