Linux-Hardware Digest #295, Volume #13           Tue, 25 Jul 00 23:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: 1GMHz+ PC with Linux to run EDA SW? (Zoltan Kocsi)
  Re: I've got more reading to do. [Change boot parameters LILO] ("Ken Crofts")
  Re: PS/2 Mouse not detected. (Jasper Moeller)
  Re: HP CD-RW hangs my machine... GOT IT OK!!!! (Steve Martin)
  Soundcard VIA 82C686 Red Hat 6.2 problems (Pascual
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Mu=F1oz=20Mu=F1oz?=)
  Re: Rockwell Riptide Support ?? (Fluri Dave)
  Re: rack mount cases forsale (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Brother M-1509 printer ("Michael Mowbray")
  Re: I've got more reading to do. [Change boot parameters LILO] (mostyn)
  Re: A good IDE (Jake Kesinger)
  kernel dump using 2.4.0-test4/5 reading form DVD-RAM drive. (Micah Richert)
  [Q] Can Linux make fully use of dual CPU PC? (Koch)
  Re: Need help with ibm scsi DFHW S2W disk (Dave Thompson)
  Linux compatible modems....suggestions please. (Kirk Kriorska Rosa VanMeter)
  Re: [Q] Can Linux make fully use of dual CPU PC? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Linux on a Unisys U6000/65 (Christopher Browne)
  Re: how to get SCSI Ultra2 speed with 2940U2W and IBM hd? (John-Paul Stewart)
  Figuring out problem with Ensoniq AudioPCI card (J. J. Ramsey)
  Re: Problems with SCSI card (RH 6.2) ("Neil Golstein")

From: Zoltan Kocsi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.verilog
Subject: Re: 1GMHz+ PC with Linux to run EDA SW?
Date: 25 Jul 2000 19:27:27 +1000

Lars Rzymianowicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The situation for simulators looks pretty good. Synopsys VCS and
> Mentor Modelsim both run on Linux. And also some of the other solutions
> from smaller companies (i think, Finsim also supports Linux, e.g.).

They were one of the first companies to do so and they provide
excellent Linux support.

> But i also don't know design entry or synthesis tools for Linux.
> Would like to see them!

About 3 years ago there was one from Exemplar, but they canned it.
Things may change, I've heard some rumours that Quicklogic is
considering to offer their P&R on Linux in a reasonable timeframe.
If that was true, then hopefully synthesis (at least FPGA) would
follow suit shortly after.

> As stated before, an Athlon system offers a nice perf/price. And
> i guess, it can't be slower than our Ultra1 machines here ;-)

Try to run a large P&R on a Sparc Classic and you will appreciate
that Ultra ...

Zoltan

| ** To reach me write to zoltan in the domain of bendor com au ** |
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Zoltan Kocsi                   |   I don't believe in miracles   |
| Bendor Research Pty. Ltd.      |   but I rely on them.           |
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------+

------------------------------

From: "Ken Crofts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: I've got more reading to do. [Change boot parameters LILO]
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:13:01 +1000

"Alan Mackenzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Linux is _user_ friendly. That's not quite the same thing as being
> _beginner_ friendly.

I like that distinction.
I certainly don't expect Linux to be another Windows, but I thought I could
at least get a basic installation without too many dramas (maybe
unrealistic).
 I've purchased "Mastering REd Hat Linux 6" by Sybex and am furthering my
knowledge.

CAUTION - Any views expressed in this message are those of
the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the
views of Department of Public Works and Services

From: Jasper Moeller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PS/2 Mouse not detected.
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 00:56:25 +0200

Am Tue, 25 Jul 2000 hat Sean geschrieben:
>Hi,
>
>I'm having problems getting one of my linux machines to detect a ps/2 mouse
>and wonder if anyone can help.

[...]
>On boot up, no mouse is detected yet the kernel has compiled into it all
>the mouse protocols I could find (I was getting desparate by then) and
>still the mouse refuses to to work.
>
>I've run mouseconfig a few times and tried various types of ps/2 mouse (the
>mouse is a Microsoft Intellimouse, 2 buttons, 1 wheel button) and still no
>luck.
>
>I've checked the mouse devices in /dev and they all match up with what they
>should be (according to various faqs, howtos and guides I've trawled
>through). I even deleted them and re-created them (using mknod ...) and
>still no joy.
>
>Checking the irq's brought no joy either, Windows happily reports that the
>mouse uses irq12 which, according to something I read somewhere will be the
>same under linux as the irq of the ps/aux port can only be 12.

Hi,

I had a similar problem after adding some Hardware: IRQ 12 was then reserved
for a different (PCI-) device (shouldn't have happened, strange ;-)). However,
since Windows does PnP-detection itself, it recognized the mouse fine and
reported IRQ 12. Looks like your problem could be related. So try the following
steps:

- Enter BIOS Setup
- Enter chipset setup and/or PCI setup
- Disable any settings saying PnP OS installed (or similar)
- If you can reserve IRQ 12 for a "legacy device", do so.
- If there is an option saying "reset configuration data" (or something like
   that), you should also enable it. It will be reset to "no" after reboot, so
   don't be astonished.
- Reboot & cross your fingers

These steps should force your computer to reassign all resources itself, but
leaves the PS/2 alone, so it should be activated. You also might have to
unplug your mouse (but ONLY if the system is powered off!) temporarily and
plug it in again after reboot.

pixel, n.:
        A mischievous, magical spirit associated with screen displays.
        The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology:
        Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial
        intelligence, and the trolls in the marketing department.

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP CD-RW hangs my machine... GOT IT OK!!!!
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 20:23:40 -0400

Simon Tetu wrote:

> I disabled the UDMA mode for this device in my bios and everything works
> great!!!!!!
>
> Please forget about my message! ;-)

Glad you got it working.

One thing I'd suggest, though, on this drive. The HP 8250i was actually
OEM'd by two different manufacturers, Sony and Philips. You can tell
the difference by looking at the front panel of the drive. The Philips
drive has a hinged front door that swings down when the tray ejects and
a row of sixteen or so small slots along the bottom edge of the drive;
the Sony has a front door that is actually a part of the tray and
travels
with the tray when it ejects, and has no slots. A word to the wise; if
you have the Philips-made drive, take it back to the vendor and swap
it for one of the Sony-made drives. The Philips drive has a firmware
problem that causes the drive to lock up and refuse access if you leave
it idle long enough for the motor to spin down. There appears to be no
fix for this problem. I had a Philips-made drive, and I had no end of
problems with it under Linux, Win95, and WinNT if I happened to leave
a disc in long enough to spin down. I took it back to the vendor where
I bought it, explained to them nicely that research on the Internet
revealed this design problem, and asked to trade it in for a Sony-built
drive. As the drive was under warranty, they agreed. I am very happy
with the Sony-built drive.

------------------------------

From: Pascual =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mu=F1oz=20Mu=F1oz?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Soundcard VIA 82C686 Red Hat 6.2 problems
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:43:10 +0200

==============1D9A0ABCC7FCD4EB0623A618

Dear friends:

How do I install a mother board sound card VIA Tech. 82C686 in my Red
Hat 6.2? I've tried to compile it in kernel, not as a module. Have I to
do anything else to make it work? If I compile it as a module it fails
in loading it at startup. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
==============1D9A0ABCC7FCD4EB0623A618

begin:vcard
n:Muņoz Muņoz;Pascual
tel;cell:34655456032
tel;work:34963877303
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.gco.upv.es/
org:Optical Communications Group;Departamento de Comunicaciones
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Telecomm. Eng.
adr;quoted-printable:;;Universidad Polit=E9cnica de Valencia=0D=0AC/ Camino Vera s/n
 ;Valencia;Valencia;46071;Spain
x-mozilla-cpt:;9120
fn:Pascual Muņoz Muņoz
end:vcard

From: Fluri Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rockwell Riptide Support ??
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:01:42 -0400

> PeteCool wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I have some Rockwell riptide sound card, with it on the
> same "card" (it takes 2 pci slots) is some rockwell
> winmodem, which I don't need to bve working, and a net
> card detected as Accton.  I would like to have the sound
> card working.  I'm using Mandrake 7.1, on a i810
> mainboard, with celeron 500 and 96 meg ram.
>
> I hope someone knows how to make it work!!
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

I had that same atrocity in my machine. Neither the modem
nor the sound card will work. The Accton EtherNet card woks
fine with the rtl8139 module. Accton has a Linux driver for
that card on their website but, once I downloaded it, I
compared it to the rtl8139 driver and it's identical in
every respect save for the header which labels it as Accton.
The Net card is not part of the modem/sound card combo. I
Riptided the Rockwell out of my machine and installed a real
sound card and bought a real modem. All is well, now. You
can pick up a sound card that will work in Linux with specs
every bit as good (fair? poor?) as the Riptide for less than
US$50.

Dave Fluri
North Bay, Ontario  Canada

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: rack mount cases forsale
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:11:31 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Steve Martin would say:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I have a large inventory of 1U, 2U, and 4U server cases in AT and ATX
>> styles. Here is just a small list of the cases that we offer.  Please
>> email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you are interested...
>>                                         $300 plus shipping
>>                                         $600 plus shipping
>>                                         $340 plus shipping
>>                                         $360 plus shipping
>>                                         $620 plus shipping
>>                                         $290 plus shipping
>
>The question that comes immediately to mind is, if someone has to
>rack-mount their computer, why not build it up in a "standard"
>case, and put it on a rack shelf?? I'm no expert, but these prices
>seem rediculously high.

The price may be prohibitively high if the plan is to house one or two
extra computers at home.

On the other hand, if the plan is to install the server at an ISP, and
you're paying rental charges on the rack, having the system very
compact, and having it use the same standard case hardware that the 40
other servers in the stack use, will be extremely worthwhile.

An extra $200 paid for a case may be saved in 3 months in terms of
rental charges on the space being occupied by the server.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
"Computer science is like library science -- you create a problem and then

------------------------------

From: "Michael Mowbray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Brother M-1509 printer
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:26:06 +1000

I see what you're saying, unfortunately the Compaq Deskpro 4000 has pretty
average setup capabilities (so it seems).  The Compaq setup partition has
been blown away and I have to run the Inspect/Setup from floppy.  Did that
last night and couldn't see how to change much expect memory address for the
Parallel port - no mention of ECP/EPP.  I've hunted around the web this
morning but Compaq's site hasn't been much help.  Can anyone help from here
?
"Andreas Oppermann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8legr8$jga$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Michael,
> the Brother 1509 is a dot matrix printer.
> Try to switch the printer type in the BIOS from ECP or anything else
> to SPP / Normal.
> Andreas.
>
> "Michael Mowbray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag
> news:8l80h9$b0c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I have an old (ancient) Brother M-1509 printer that (I thought) I'd like
> > use with Linux for drudge work like program listings, config file dumps,
> > etc.  It works fine for text under MS-DOS but Windoze doesn't want to
know
> > about it.
> >
> > Linux (Red Hat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14.something I think) will print to it
but
> > the command
> >
> > # echo 012456789 >/dev/lp0
> >
> > resulted in every second character being lost.  I set up a printer
(rather
> > than dump to the raw device) and replaced the default input filter
script
> > (which resulted in no output) with a simple c program that duplicates
each
> > letter input to it.  For the trivial 'echo' example
> >
> > # echo 0123456789 | lpr
> >
> > this produced perfect output with no missing characters.  Larger output,
> > however, e.g. ls -l | lpr, still results in (seemingly) random dropping
of
> > characters, around 25-30% loss I'm guessing.  The actual characters lost
> are
> > *not* consistent between subsequent runs of identical listings.
> >
> > Thinking it was a timing issue, I rewrote the input filter program to
> *not*
> > duplicate letters but instead to introduce a delay between letters.
This

------------------------------

From: mostyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:42:07 +1000

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> Then there are the HOWTOs, to be found in /usr/doc/howto (or similar),
> best read with the program "less".

or "zless" if they're in gzipped format ("foo.gz").

mostyn.
--
        o  o
        |__|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jake Kesinger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: A good IDE
Date: 26 Jul 2000 01:30:37 GMT

cLIeNUX user ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: The "IDE" feature I use the most is "+", which is supported by Pico and
: the "most" pager. When gcc says
:       gcc:238:You_lose.c:  HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA   You call that C?? HAHAHHA
: I then do
:       pico +238 You_lose.c
: and I'm Integrated and Developing in my Environment.

: If "best" means "get the most work done", you just need to learn to use
: what you've already got.

Well, emacs can do that too.  Even better, you can do M-x compile,
and C-x ` (that's a backquote) takes you to the next error in the
output, opening files as necessary.

  ==Jake

------------------------------

From: Micah Richert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel dump using 2.4.0-test4/5 reading form DVD-RAM drive.
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:04:36 GMT

I am using a tekram scsi card controlling a creative DVD-RAM drive.  The
sym53c8xx and ncr53c8xx install and detect the drive with out a problem. I am
mounting the drive using /dev/scd0.  But when I try to open any of the files I
get a kernel dump.  I would include the message, but I can't seem to route the
message to file.  I can list directories and create new files with out any
problems.  it seems to be a driver bug, but I don't know where the problem is
originating from.  It could be in the sym/ncr53c8xx driver, or the scsi disk
driver.

Micah

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Koch)
Subject: [Q] Can Linux make fully use of dual CPU PC?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:36:41 GMT

Can Linux make fully use of dual CPU PC?

If so, please tell me how I should configure
a kernel.

I use Slackware 7.0 (2.2.13).

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA
koch

------------------------------

From: Dave Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help with ibm scsi DFHW S2W disk
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:15:08 GMT

well, no luck.  I tried the disk by itself with a one-connector cable,
with an external, active, passthru terminator.  nothing.  the scsi-id is
zero.  I also tried scsi-id 4.

The adaptec card supports scsi i & ii -- no problem there, is there ?
does it have to support scsi iii ?

Dave Thompson

------------------------------

From: Kirk Kriorska Rosa VanMeter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux compatible modems....suggestions please.
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:21:45 -0600

I would like to get some suggestions on good Linux compatible modems.

Thanks in advance.

Kirk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: [Q] Can Linux make fully use of dual CPU PC?
Date: 26 Jul 2000 02:21:44 GMT

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:36:41 GMT, Koch wrote:
>Can Linux make fully use of dual CPU PC?

Depends on the applications you're using.  Multi-threaded things will
make much better use of dual CPUs than one big monolithic application.
StarOffice won't speed up much, but compiling programs (with the -j3
switch!) and things like Web serving will get a boost.  If you run more
than one application at once (who doesn't!) then you will also notice
some speedup.

>If so, please tell me how I should configure a kernel.

There's an option called "Symmetric Multi-Processing Support" in the
"General Setup" section when you do "make menuconfig".  Turn that on.
Watch out, though--APM is not SMP safe, so you'll have to manually turn
the power off on your machine.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.
=============================/              ==Charles Peguy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Linux on a Unisys U6000/65
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:37:14 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Tom Garman would say:
>I am trying to get Linux (Slackware 7.0) loaded on to a Unisys U6000/65.
>I seem to be having trouble getting the SCSI controller to be recognized
>upon boot.  I have tried all of the kernels that support SCSI, with no
>luck.  Does anyone have any information on what SCSI card might be used in
>these machines? As far as I can tell, the controller is built onto the
>motherboard, but I cannot see any distinctive chips, that may point me to
>a manufacturer.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The U6000/65 is a circa-1995 SMP system, which means it probably
consists of early Pentium processors.  It's likely a proprietary
design tuned to their own release of UNIX SVR4.

It is reasonably likely that they integrated NCR or Adaptec SCSI
hardware onto the motherboard; it may very well be that it won't be
visible as something Linux would recognize.

If you search <http://www.google.com/> for "Unisys U6000/65," you'll
find resumes for a number of people that have supported them; you
might want to ask one of those people if they know anything about what
hardware sits on the mobo.

I'd tend to think it more practical to turf the machine, unless you're
really wedded to the idea of using obscure hardware.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/hardware.html>
CBS News report on Fort Worth tornado damage:

------------------------------

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to get SCSI Ultra2 speed with 2940U2W and IBM hd?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:39:32 GMT

pedro bulach gapski wrote:

> I have a linux box with a 2940U2W and 2 IBM DNES-318350 hard drives
> (18G, supposed to be ultra2). I was expecting to get 80Mb/s transfers,
> but I only have 40Mb/s transfers. Both pieces are as they came from the
> factory. My /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0 follows below. I am running debian 2.1
> with kernel 2.2.14.
>
> Are there any tricks to obtains the ultra2 speed? The adapter has two
> connectors, one for ultra and another for ultra2, but I get the same
> speed no matter which one I try.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> pedro
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Here follows my /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0:
> Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.1.21/3.2.4
> Compile Options:
>   TCQ Enabled By Default : Disabled
>   AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Enabled
>   AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 5
>
> Adapter Configuration:
>            SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter
>                            Ultra-2 LVD/SE Wide Controller
>     PCI MMAPed I/O Base: 0xe0410000
>     PCI Bus 0x00 Device 0x48
>  Adapter SEEPROM Config: SEEPROM found and used.
>       Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Enabled
>                     IRQ: 11
>                    SCBs: Active 0, Max Active 2,
>                          Allocated 15, HW 32, Page 255
>              Interrupts: 13237957
>       BIOS Control Word: 0x18a6
>    Adapter Control Word: 0x145d
>    Extended Translation: Enabled
> Disconnect Enable Flags: 0xffff
>      Ultra Enable Flags: 0x0000
>  Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0000
> Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0000
> Default Tag Queue Depth: 8
>     Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 0:
>       {255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}
>     Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 0:
>       {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}
>
> Statistics:
>
> (scsi0:0:0:0)
>   Device using Narrow/Sync transfers at 5.0 MByte/sec, offset 8
[rest of post deleted]

Run this device off the 'ultra' connector.  Run the others off the the 'ultra2'
connector.

Explanation:  ultra2 uses a "low-voltage differential" scheme but earlier SCSI
is (typically) not differential.  Ultra2 will fall back to "single-ended" (i.e.
'ultra') when operating on the same chain as older drives.  This device supports
only the oldest of SCSI standards and is causing the ultra2 drives to fall back
to a slower mode for compatibility.  Adaptec provides the two connectors so that
you can avoid this problem.

Hope this helps.

J-P Stewart.

------------------------------

From: J. J. Ramsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Figuring out problem with Ensoniq AudioPCI card
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:39:32 GMT

I had a weird problem that I'm trying to figure out. I had (still have,
for now) an Aureal Vortex1-based sound card. Somewhere along the line,
the sound just stopped working, and apparently it wasn't a hardware
problem, since when I booted into Windows on the same machine, the sound
worked.

Since Aureal was going out of business, I decided to get a sound card
that would be better supported, so I bought an Ensoniq AudioPCI card.
Unfortunately, it did not appear to work; when sndconfig played a sound
sample--or tried to, more to the point--I couldn't hear it. (And yes, I
checked to make sure the speakers were on, and that the volume was
turned up) After that, I reinstalled my old sound card and its driver,
and then I had sound again. Odd.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on. First, I'm trying to figure
out whether the model number on the box for the sound card means
anything. On the box, it says that the model number is ES4815, rather
than ES1370 or ES1371, which are supposedly the model numbers for
working Ensoniq AudioPCI cards. Did anyone here who has a working
Ensoniq card keep the box it came in? What does the model number on the
box say?

Second, I'm trying to figure out what made the sound die in the first
place. The only two things I can think of as possible causes are 1)
several months ago, I reinstalled Red Hat 6.2 on my machine after trying
out another distro, and 2) I installed (and later uninstalled) Helix
GNOME, which was apparently not getting along with the Aureal sound
driver, and would randomly freeze until I got the
sound-properties-capplet to not run at startup. I'm obviously grapsing
at straws here, but I seldom listen to sounds on my computer, so I don't
have a real clue when the sound stopped working, or what made it stop.
Any ideas?

--
---I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.---

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Neil Golstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with SCSI card (RH 6.2)
Date: 25 Jul 2000 22:02:02 -0500

Not sure if this will help but when I had a scanner on my 1502 card I used
to initialize the driver with the following command in my rc.local:
insmod aha152x aha152x=0x140,10,7,1,1,0,500,0
The only thing you would change would be the first two parameters, being the
memory address and IRQ respectively, the rest of it I just copied from what
another poster wrote!
The 1502 however was an ISA card that you could set these parameters via
jumpers on the card.
Since the 1542 is an ISA plug and play device you probably have to run
isapnp and write an isapnp.conf file first to set the memory address and IRQ
(out of the available choices).  You just have to do this once and it's set.
If you can override pnp with jumpers though just do that, it's simpler.