From: "Stealth Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help installing Zoran video capture kernel module
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 16:07:37 -0800

I'm trying to install my Pinnacle DC10+ card into the 2.4.1 kernel, but
I'm not getting the option using 'make xconfig' or 'make config'.  When I
go to the Video For Linux option menu, the Zoran options are greyed out.
I'm using Mandrake Linux 7.2 with a 2.4.1 kernel.  DrakHardware and the
boot.log both verify that the DC10+ is being identified correctly.
Granted, I am very new to Linux (I went dual-boot a week ago) so I may
not have set something correctly before running xconfig but I'm at a loss
here.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this module installed
I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
- Stealth Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Ensoniq ES4815
Date: 4 Feb 2001 01:11:10 GMT

On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 14:32:44 -0800, Steve Mills staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I just installed RedHat 7.0 on a new machine.  I have a Ensoniq es4815
>PCI audio card.  Anyone know if this *should* work?
>Is trying the Ensoniq 1371 driver worthwhile?

What does "cat /proc/pci" say for the card?  Grepping for "4815" in the
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/ directory returns nothing relevant, but
there seem to be a reasonable number of ES cards out there that are
1371-compatible while having different numbers/letters/names.  (Mine
comes up as "Crystal PnP Audio System" in 'Doze, but is IDed as a 1371
in Linux.)

/proc/pci will tell you at least what Linux thinks the card is, which is
a good starting point.

>What other options might there be?  I've done a deja search already, 2
>other poor bastards with the same problem, but in 2000.  Also, I tried
>the redhat hardware compatiblity list.  What a joke that is.

Hardware moves quickly, and there's a lot of it out there.  Tried
http://linhardware.com/ , or the ALSA project, or the (free trial,
commercial product) stuff at http://4front.com/ ?  Post the output from
"cat /proc/pci", and if you get this thing working, please say so....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: tj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eth0 on compaq presario laptop
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 01:37:11 GMT

I just installed RedHat 6.2 on my new Presario 1700 laptop.
I used the standard Gnome workstation setup.
The built-in PCI NIC was not recognized, no errors as if it
did not exist.

ifconfig eth0 reports
error fetching interface information: Device not found

I don't know which driver to select; which chipset it is using
I am reluctant to open up the laptop if there is a way to
find out more easily.  Does anyone have experience with this?
Is there anything I can do to get the NIC automatically recognized?

BTW, the NIC works OK with W98, so I know the hardware functions OK.
W98 reports that it is manufactured by Compaq, which doesn't help much.

Thanks
TJ

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CT5880 Sound chipset
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 01:53:50 GMT

I have a Sound Blaster PCI 128 with the same chipset on and can't make
it work.
sndconfig recognizes it as 1274:5880 (???).
Any help appreciated!

In article <9GYe6.191469$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Richard Wallace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a Duron 600 system with a Gigabyte GA-7ZX motherboard.  It has
> CT5880 chipset on board for sound support.  Anyone have any luck
getting
> sound to work on this configuration?  (yes, I have enabled the sound
card
> in bios, I tried the drivers from opensource.creative.com)
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Rich

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: Mounting Win 2000 in Linux.
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 02:34:30 GMT

On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 21:42:23 GMT, Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello, I have windows 2000 Prof. Edition and My hard drive is shared, I
>would like to know if I can mount the file system (FAT 32 I didn't change it
>to NTFS (At least not yet) ) onto my linux computer running RH 6.2. If you
>can provide me with this information I would greatly appreciate it....
>Thanks
>
>Ahmed

Ahmed,

I think you have two choices:

1) Run Samba on the Linux box and mount the shared drive as an smbfs file
system drive on the Linux box, or

2) Run PCNFS or equivalent on the Windows 2000 box and mount the share as
an nfs mount on the Linux box.

I believe choice #1 is the most popular.

HTH

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply, remove _UNSPAM from my email address

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 15:39:33 +1300
From: John Vorstermans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux solutions for VoIP and text editors

In comp.os.linux.networking V.G.Guhan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So far I have not yet found any packages for VoIP clients for Linux.

Have a start at
        http://www.openh323.org/
or at
        http://www.linuxtelephony.org/

it's really not hard to find these:
        http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+voip

There is also an howto you may want to read:

        http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/VoIP-HOWTO.html

Another page you might find in no time is

        http://www.voxilla.org/

Hope that's enough for you ;-)

ahm and please stop cross posting.

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                          bzeeb at Zabbadoz dot NeT
56 69 73 69 74                          http://www.zabbadoz.net/

------------------------------

From: "fishmaster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMC 1208 BT drivers
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:40:24 GMT

I have several brand new SMC 1208 BT network cards. These are 10 Mbts PCI
Plug and Pray, Network Cards. Manual says that they are NE2000 compatible
(software or hardware???). Card has a single master chip with SMC Logo and
no other identifying marks. Question is which driver, if any, I should use
with this card for RH 6.2 installation????

------------------------------

From: "MadCat13" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB to Serial converter question...
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 00:26:51 -0500

Here's my problem.  My system has one of those crappy winmodems built onto
the motherboard and no serial port.

I've already got a serial port modem (Best Data 56K)from another comp.

I'm going to use the 2.4.1 kernel.  Will I have any problems using one of
the Keyspan USB to serial converters to use this modem, or do I need to just
get a USB modem.  Or am I just screwed.

Thanks

MadCat13

------------------------------

From: Chuck Broeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI Radeon + Linux
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 05:34:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Tobin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Has anyone successfully gotten the Radeon working with X in at least 2D?
> I have an AMD Athlon 650 on the irongate chipset. I just swapped out my
> G400 for the Radeon and installed X 4.02 and the server goes to change
> into SVGA mode and then I get the good ole BSOD. If anyone knows of a
> fix please let me know.
>
> John

I have an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon on one of my machines, so I'm
interested in this also. So far it looks like there's a company
developing a commercial driver. They have a beta version of a driver
that supports 2D. They also have a alpha version of a driver with 3D
support. Their web-site says they intend to charge $89 per seat for the
final release. I can't remember their name, but you can do a search on
linux and radeon to find them.
I think there's work being done elsewhere on a open source bases. Look
at the SourceForge web-site.
Some people have said that the latest Rage 128 driver will work with the
Radeon chipset, although it doesn't give you the performance.

I'm thinking of buying an older Voodoo for when I boot linux and
switching to the Radeon when I'm running Windows for games like UT and
Q3.

Good luck in your search.

Chuck Broeker

------------------------------

From: Chuck Broeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CUR-DLS onboard NIC
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 05:46:07 GMT

In article <cbroeker-DF78B2.20371101022001@news>, Chuck Broeker
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gunther Piez
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Chuck Broeker wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone had any luck getting the onboard Intel NIC (82559) to work
> > > on
> > > the ASUS CUR-DLS mobo?
> >
> > yes.
> >
> > > I've tried loading the eepro100 driver but when I try to assign an IP
> > > the interface, I get a 'Resource temporarily unavailable' message.
> > > This
> > > is on RedHat 7.0.
> >
> > same motherboard, same redhat here, no problems. try a new kernel and
> > if
> > this doesnt work too, send the mobo back.
>
> Thanks for the response. I got the motherboard in November and had this
> problem then. I dealt with it by buying a 3Com board. It's probably too
> late to send the mobo back. I'll try a new kernel. I'll also look at the
> ASUS site for upgrades. As a last resort, I'll try loading Windows 2000
> server and see if it can deal with the chip. (I'll reload Linux
> afterwards. I wouldn't want anyone to get upset.)

Today I loaded Windows 2000 on the machine. It had no problem seeing the
NIC. I was able to configure it and get on the web. When I reloaded
RedHat 7.0 from scratch I got the same problem as before. I'm not a PC
hardware expert ( I've avoided this for years.)  I suspect Linux is
screwing up either the IRQ assigment or the IO port assigment. Is there
some way to debug this other than becoming an export on the eepro100
driver? Is there an option or set of options I can set in modules.conf
that will help?

Chuck Broeker

------------------------------

From: Robert Bunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Recommendations for ethernet cards and other hardware wanted...
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 23:57:20 +0000

On Fri, 02 Feb 2001, Craig Orsinger wrote:
>"Dr. Ram Samudrala" wrote:
>>
>> I'm buying a whole bunch of machines and I would appreciate some help
>> on what the current best choices are for various hardware options
>> since I've been out of the Linux loop for a few months.
>>
>> Most of these machines will be used for heavy computing. So for these
>> machines I need a cheap video card, a fast ethernet card (currently we
>> use the Intel Etherexpress Pro ones which we're fairly happy with)
>> priced around $50-$100, large disks (what is the largest IDE disk
>> supported by Linux today - can I get the Maxtor 80 GB drives?), and
>> dual processors (right now I'm looking at 1 GHz PIIIs -- how reliable
>> are the 1.2 GHz ones?).

[...]

>       As for disk size, I don't know what, if any, barriers
>Linux puts in the way, but if your BIOS is more than a year old it
>may not support disks larger than 25GB or thereabouts. You might
>want to check with whomever you're buying your hardware from.

I've got a couple-year old BIOS, Slackware 7.1, home-built 2.2.16 kernel, AMD
K-2 400MHz. I bought one of those Maxtor 81GB HD's in a fit of optimism, and
almost gave up on getting it to work in a fit of pessimism, but turns out it
works just fine with my setup. I d/l'ed the partitioning software that Maxtor
provides, and created all the partitions I was going to use: an 8GB (as the
first) for Win98, a 128 (maybe slightly more) MB to be used as swap, another
8GB for linux root and main storage, and the rest on a fat32 for storage use
shared by both OSes.

One caveat: I didn't have much success with getting linux to work with it with
the first partition over about 8GB. I'm not sure exactly why, or if it would've
worked if I had played with it a little more, but now that I've got it working,
I'm not trashing my disk just to figure it out. ;)

FWIW, YMMV, HTH, HAND, ETC.

--
Robert Bunn

------------------------------

From: "bz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: installation problems
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 06:06:02 GMT

ive been trying to install redhat6.2 on an old box of one of my friend's to
no avail... he had done a low level format of his hdd and had all the
primary/slave wires pulled out when i got there (for what reason, i dont
know). anyway, ive been able to get the floppy working fine, but the bios
wont see the hdd and cdrom at the same time, although it will find them
independently only as secondary masters...neither as primary masters/slaves
or secondary slaves... but i think i can figure that out given more time.
but my problem is when i try to boot an installation disk. it gives me
something very similar to

"SysLinux v.BLAH: Boot Error"

No real information, just "boot error". i cant figure what this good be
caused by. any help is appreciated. thanks

oh, and btw, i tried booting from the cdrom but it doesnt seem to want to do
that either.. acts as if no boot sector was found

------------------------------

From: "Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Losing keyboard & mouse on Dell WS 410 system - RH 7.0
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 06:31:28 GMT

This one may be a real challenge for all of the Linux experts out there.

Can anyone explain why my system would lose the keyboard and mouse at random
times while in X??  Sometimes it happens 2 minutes after a startx and other
times it might happen after X has been running for 30 or more hours. The
mouse pointer can still be moved around on the screen but clicking it does
nothing.

This only happens in X windows, never in console mode. Peculiar thing is
that this also happens when running Solaris 8 on this same machine. But I
never have this problem when I boot to Windows 2000.

There are no error msgs that consistently appear in the system logs when the
keyboard and mouse become inactive. Tried a different keyboard and mouse but
neither work any better.

Help!!!!   Thanks,
.....scott

Software:
RH 7.0, kernel 2.2.16-22, running GNOME

SMP system with 1 processor
        originally Redhat 7.0 installed 2.2.16-22smp as the default
        also I tried 2.2.16-22 single processor mode

ACPI bios setting - tried this both on & off

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 23:56:50 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Scott wrote:

> This one may be a real challenge for all of the Linux experts out there.
>
> Can anyone explain why my system would lose the keyboard and mouse at random
> times while in X??  Sometimes it happens 2 minutes after a startx and other
> times it might happen after X has been running for 30 or more hours. The
> mouse pointer can still be moved around on the screen but clicking it does
> nothing.
>
> This only happens in X windows, never in console mode. Peculiar thing is
> that this also happens when running Solaris 8 on this same machine. But I
> never have this problem when I boot to Windows 2000.
>
> There are no error msgs that consistently appear in the system logs when the
> keyboard and mouse become inactive. Tried a different keyboard and mouse but
> neither work any better.
>
> Help!!!!   Thanks,
> .....scott
>
> Software:
> RH 7.0, kernel 2.2.16-22, running GNOME
>
> SMP system with 1 processor
>         originally Redhat 7.0 installed 2.2.16-22smp as the default
>         also I tried 2.2.16-22 single processor mode
>
> ACPI bios setting - tried this both on & off

I once had this problem, and discovered the mouse and keyboard cables
were getting moved around and the connector was loose.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jwk)
Subject: Re: Any Experiences with Supermicro 370DLE?
Date: 4 Feb 2001 08:23:30 GMT

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 12:44:27 -0800, Norm
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>At first glance, looks like what I need in a server board,
>ServerWorks ServerSet III LE Chipset, plan to add two PC133
>ECC registered 256M DIMMs.
>
>Has anyone had good/bad/mediocre experiences with this board
>running Linux (2.4.x or late 2.2.xx)?  Any incompatabilities?
>Tips?

IIRC, the documentation for the APIC has been only recently secured from
ServerWorks, so won't work optimal without some of the latest 2.4.x
kernels. Read more about it in a kernel-mailinglist archive.

Good luck,
Jurriaan

--
BOFH excuse #173:

Recursive traversal of loopback mount points
GNU/Linux 2.2.19pre8 SMP/ReiserFS 2x1402 bogomips load av: 0.04 0.03 0.06

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB to Serial converter question...
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 09:35:19 +0100

MadCat13 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Here's my problem.  My system has one of those crappy winmodems built onto
> the motherboard and no serial port.

> I've already got a serial port modem (Best Data 56K)from another comp.

> I'm going to use the 2.4.1 kernel.  Will I have any problems using one of
> the Keyspan USB to serial converters to use this modem, or do I need to just
> get a USB modem.  Or am I just screwed.

Uh .. I am not sure what you mean. If you have a serial port modem,
then just use it! Oh, I seee ... No serial port. That's amazing! OK,
yes you will have to try a usb to serial converter. Belkin ones seem to
be supported by the kernel, but check on www.linux-usb.org.

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Newton)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 09:00:01 +0000

On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 21:42:23 GMT, Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello, I have windows 2000 Prof. Edition and My hard drive is shared, I
>would like to know if I can mount the file system (FAT 32 I didn't change it
>to NTFS (At least not yet) ) onto my linux computer running RH 6.2. If you
>can provide me with this information I would greatly appreciate it....
>Thanks
>
>Ahmed

Hi Ahmed,

Yes indeedy, you can access the fat partition from linux. You first need to
know what it's called. If you have a single hard drive the partitions are
quite often /dev/hda / /dev/hdb or similar. You need to edit /etc/fstab
to add a line for it/ Look at 'man fstab' for more info. Quite often the
line is similar to the one for the linux partition except that you need to
change the filesystem from ext2 to fat and the path.

Have fun,

Jim

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Fritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 10:06:19 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a Sound Blaster PCI 128 with the same chipset on and can't make
> it work.
> sndconfig recognizes it as 1274:5880 (???).
> Any help appreciated!
>
> In article <9GYe6.191469$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Richard Wallace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have a Duron 600 system with a Gigabyte GA-7ZX motherboard.  It has
> > CT5880 chipset on board for sound support.  Anyone have any luck
> getting
> > sound to work on this configuration?  (yes, I have enabled the sound
> card
> > in bios, I tried the drivers from opensource.creative.com)
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Rich

This soundchip works with a newer es1371.o module. A guy at work has the
Sound Blaster PCI128 running under SuSE 7.0 (Kernel 2.2.16, modified by
SuSE). I have exactly the same hardware configuration in the office, but
running SuSE 6.3 (2.2.13 based, IIRC). No sound with this configuration
(time to upgrade...). My home system has 5880 based on board sound.
Works fine with unmodified 2.2.18 Kernel.

Wolfgang