Linux-Hardware Digest #599, Volume #13           Tue, 19 Sep 00 04:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Targus UBB-PS/2 Scroller Mini Mouse ("Joseph C. Kopec")
  693c Inkjet ("Timothy J. Miller")
  IBM 60G0611 LAN adapter configuration ("Curtis Rempel")
  Re: aha152x-module (Paul Thomas)
  Re: modem initialization problem (L Ellison)
  Re: ALSA and VIA chipset (Paul Thomas)
  Mandrake-AFS-Ethernet card (Valverde)
  Modem speed test Page ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  S3 Virge gx/2 (Roger Keays)
  Can't install Linux of ATA100 Harddisk? ("24601")
  Re: Parallel port and Linux (Peter Keller)
  Re: Problem with UDMA33 on Alladin (John Collier)
  Re: Scanner/Printer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  External Modem Woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  SMP gaming platform? (Alexander Ling Euk Jin)
  Re: A Question of choose. (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Linux and ABIT KT7 motherboard (Eric Dondelinger)
  Re: modem initialization problem (Francis Tseng)
  Re: 486 DLC 40 Server (Eric Dondelinger)
  Re: modem initialization problem (Francis Tseng)

From: "Joseph C. Kopec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Targus UBB-PS/2 Scroller Mini Mouse
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:44:32 GMT

Has anyone had any luck getting the scroll feature of one of these
working, either in USB mode or with the USB-to-PS/2 adapter?  I am
running kernel version 2.4.0-test7 on an IBM ThinkPad 600X, which has a
USB port.  I believe I have made appropriate config selections in
compiling my kernel for USB support (all Y):

Support for USB
Prelimary USB Device Filesystem
UCHI Alternate Driver (JE) Support
USB Human Interface Device (HID) Support
Input Core Support
Mouse Support

My /var/log/messages contains the following (in relevant part):

kernel: mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
kernel: usb.c USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
kernel: Manufacturer: KYE
kernel: Product: Genius USB Wheel Mouse
kernel: mouse0: PS/2 mouse device for input0
kernel: input0: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [KYE Genius USB Wheel Mouse] on usb1:2.0

In xconfig, the "Help" for Input Core Support/Mouse Support says:

"Say Y here if you want your USB HID mouse to be accessible as char
devices 13:32+ - /dev/input/mouseX and 13:63 - /dev/input/mice as an
emulated PS/2 mouse."

Accordingly, I have mknod'd as follows: mknod c /dev/input/mouse0 13 32

Additionally, I have tweaked my XF86Config Pointer Section to read as
follows:

Section "Pointer"
Protocol  "PS/2"
Device    "/dev/input/mouse0"
EndSection

After much flickering upon launching X, the USB mouse works fine, but
without scrolling.  Does scrolling work at all?  Does it only work in
certain applications (which?)?

Additional question regarding XF86Config:  Is there any way I can
configure options in the Pointer Section so that /dev/mouse is the
device if I want to use my ThinkPad's pointer and /dev/input/mouse0 is
the device if I want to use USB?  Even better, is there any way to
configure it so that it automatically detects whether the USB mouse is
plugged in and switches accordingly? (Now I'm really dreaming.)

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: "Timothy J. Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 693c Inkjet
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:49:31 -0500

Wondering if anyone out there has "successfully" configured the titled
printer under Linux.  If so, how.
I have it working, sporadically.  It will print some pages and then all
of a sudden just start spitting out
garabage.  Any ideas?

I am running Redhat 6.2 and have it setup under printtool as an HP
Deskjet 550C (UP) on /dev/lp0

- Thanks
- Tim

------------------------------

From: "Curtis Rempel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: IBM 60G0611 LAN adapter configuration
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:47:07 GMT

I recently picked up a pair of IBM 60G0611 LAN adapter cards - these are the
FRU part number for the original 60G0605 units.

I've got a box with both of them configured using the DOS based IBM
CONFIG.EXE utility.  One is at 0x300 with IRQ 10, the other at 0x320 with
IRQ 11.  Both pass all diagnostics.

This machine has no CD and I'm trying to load RedHat 6.2 on it via NFS image
as I have done on numerous other machines which had 3C509B adapters.

The problem is that this adapter model is not under the menu of network
adapters presented during install nor can I find an equivalent for it
anywhere.

Has anybody successfully configured these type of cards with RedHat 6.2?  I
tried NE2000 as a compatible adapter as that seems to work quite often, but
without luck.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Regards,

Curtis

email: curtis.rempel at home dot com

SPAM fodder: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

heh heh

------------------------------

From: Paul Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aha152x-module
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:20:27 -0700

Renzo Lauper wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a UMAX 1220S Scanner connected through an Adaptec AVA1502 SCSI-Card.
> I use the following options in /etc/conf.modules
>
> options aha152x aha152x=0x340,9,7,1,1
>
> and I load the modules with "modprobe aha152x". This works fine,
> but after a reboot I try to load the module again and I get the
> following messages in /var/log/messages:

[snip some stuff..]

> Then it kind of repeats a similar message about 10 times.
> The strange thing is, that when I start Win95, which is installed on the same
> machine and I use the scanner there, then the scanner works in Linux
> again. But after rebooting Linux again, the scanner won't work any more.
>
> Any help would be very much appreciated
>         Renzo Lauper

Renzo,

I  have the same scanner and use it with an Adaptec 1520 SCSI card on a Pentium 133Mhz
with a 2.2.13
kernel.

It works great.. I had some problems  with SCSI being recognized at boot time...I
forget the problem now, it
was some time ago and works fine now, but I took direction from the SCSI FAQ and
compiled the SCSI
driver into the kernel and then give the kernel the options at boot time:

aha152x=0x340,10,7,1

The kernel is then forced  to detect the SCSI device/card.

Not sure if this applies to your situation.

Best of luck,

--Paul T.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:38:08 -0600
From: L Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: modem initialization problem

Read the man page on setserial. Your modem is probably using a non-standard
IRQ and you need to tell the kernel this at boot time. This info is
supposed to go in /etc/rc.d/rc.serial but I had to put it in
 /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.                    ( format )   setserial
/dev/ttySx  IRQ  y        x=your modem comm port, y=your modem IRQ. If you
dual boot Windows, go there and find out what comm port the modem is using.
It will not be diferent in Linux.  DOS com1=ttyS0   com2=ttyS1 etc.  Also
find out the IRQ while in Win.  If you don't have Win, keep trying IRQs
until you find the right one. It will probably be :  2 3 4 5 7 9 but
possibly one of the higher #s.

------------------------------

From: Paul Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ALSA and VIA chipset
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:33:50 -0700

Bart Friederichs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am struggling to get a VIA chipset to work with ALSA. It seems the
> driver is installed and it recognizes the card. Still, no sound can be
> heard and all programs looking for /dev/dsp reply with 'no such device'.
> Should /dev/dsp be symlinked to /dev/asound or so?

Mine is:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            9 Jan  3  2000 dsp -> /dev/dsp

--Paul T.

------------------------------

From: Valverde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mandrake-AFS-Ethernet card
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:42:49 -0700

    I have installed Mandrake 7.1 and it was working OK... Until I
installed
AFS. I am running the 2.2.15 kernel on Mandrake. Now, my ethernet card
is not detected. Does anyone have any hints or experience installing AFS

on Mandrake?? How can I force linux to see my ethernet card. I know it
is supported because it worked before. I don't really want to re-install

Linux, but if I have to...

Thanks for any help!!  Please email me.

                                Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Modem speed test Page
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:32:41 GMT

Hi ya i just made this page last night go look at it

http://speedtest.batduck.com

have fun!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:45:03 +1000
From: Roger Keays <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 Virge gx/2

Does anybody know if it is possible to use the RF out (say, to a TV) on
the S3 virge GX2 card under X? Or where should I look for help?

Thanks.

-Roger

------------------------------

From: "24601" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't install Linux of ATA100 Harddisk?
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:48:02 +0800

Can't install Linux of ATA100 Harddisk?
Installing System can't check ATA100 harddisk,
is this true?& Is it have some driver to supported ATA100

Linux: red-hats linux 6.2,
Harddisk: Maxtor 15GB ATA100 IDE Harddisk,
IDE Cable: ATA66

------------------------------

From: Peter Keller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Parallel port and Linux
Date: 19 Sep 2000 06:15:20 GMT

Well, I managed to mostly solve it on my own after a few hours. It
seems I had an io port conflict. I can't tell what the conflict was,
there doesn't seem to be any record of it when I reproduce it.
Also cat /proc/ioports showed nothing else using that range... Hmm...

I moved the base address of the parallel port from 0x278 to 0x3bc and
suddenly the kernel recognized it AND the ethernet cards too.

I also say mostly solved because even though the bios thinks the parport is
EPP it is only detected as a PCSPP,TRISTATE.

Oh well. I'll just mess with it some more and hopefully figure it out.
At least my test program gives me the right numbers now.

I figured I'd post the solution here anyway just so lurkers who follow
this thread get some information that might prove useful.

-pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Collier)
Subject: Re: Problem with UDMA33 on Alladin
Date: 19 Sep 2000 06:53:10 GMT

Yu Zhang ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi,
: I tried to configure a Mator UDMA33(through an EIDE port)
: on  a board with Aladdin chipset. The kernel is 2.2.14 (redhat 6.2)
: It turned out linux does not regcognize the controller, and

Mandrake has built-in support.

For Red hat, you need to patch your kernel
with linux-ide-10b3.tgz, avaialble from ALi

Worked for me.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Scanner/Printer
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 06:59:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hey Andrey,

Thank you VERY much. I already decided to go ahead and buy it for my
wife nd thought I might be able to get it working through Windows so
that at least I could print from Linux. But with this I can actually
fully use it then under Linux.

It's not in a critical environment. It's just for home use.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: External Modem Woes
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 07:12:01 GMT

I recently purchased a Zoltrix Rainbow 56K external to replace one
burned up in a storm we had here. My old Zoom 56K external ran
flawlessly under Linux. This new one does not.

The one thing I do notice is that this one is seen by Windows Plug and
Play. Is there something anyone may suggest for trying to get this up
and running under Linux? I have no probs under Windoze.

I can implicitly assign it a stty/com number, and it dials out under
Linux in kppp, but falis to connect to the host. It fails to be
detected in wvdial in SUSE 6.3 at all.

I also notice that unless it is turned on, it is not seen by Win2000.
I get a "not connected" when I pull up modem properties in Control
Panel.

The Zoltrix uses a Rockwell ACF56K chipset.

I have it connected to stty01 aka COM2.

please email as well as post any suggestions. Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:57:34 +0800
From: Alexander Ling Euk Jin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMP gaming platform?

I'm thinking of replacing my four year old computer in order to play those
nifty new 3D games like Q3A and HG2.

I'm thinking of buying an SMP machine.  Does anybody know whether getting an
SMP Linux box will give improved performance over a single processor box given
that the rest of the hardware is the same? (E.g both will have 256MB RAM and
Voodoo5).  If there is a performance gap, how much is it?

I'd appreciate it if someone could point to some benchmarks on the Web!

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Question of choose.
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 07:21:54 GMT

Martin Lohmann wrote:

> Hellou all Linux Hardware Fan's :)
>
> I own a old computer (don't exactly remember if it has the HX or the VX
> chipset)
> with Debian 2.2, kernel version 2.2.17 running. I want to buy a bigger
> harddrive,
> maybe the Maxtor 60GB and want to run it in this system, so I probably need
> buy one of the available PCI IDE Controllers.
> My question is, which of those should i choose ? The Abit HotRod or the
> Promise Ultra (no RAID, just simple IDE) ? Does both of them properly work
> with a generic kernel or do I need any patches ? How is the performance of
> them ? Is the one faster than the other ? Is the first connected IDE drive
> named "hda" as usual ? Are there config setting too (like hdparm) to
> increase the performance ? Any experiences with using this hardware ??
>
> Thanx for answers.

The Promise Ultra 66, which I have, needs the ide patch.  They posted a patch
for 2.2.17 at:

 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ide-2.2.17/

JRT

------------------------------

From: Eric Dondelinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and ABIT KT7 motherboard
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:37:18 +0200

Hi,

> I'm in the same boat and about to buy a KT7-RAID
> if it'll work.  I have a few questions though.
> Which kernel are you running?  Where did you get
> the kernel patch?  Can you only see the drives on
> the controller afterward, or can you also use
> striping?  Any other comments would be
> appreciated.  Thanks.
> Chad

I've seen tons of problem reports in
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit involving the onboard
raid controller. It seems that the Highpoint device is
not a very mature product. While I can highly recommend
the KT7 non-raid from personal experience, I can't say
the same for the raid variant.

Otoh the combination KT7/Promise FastTrack might be quite
interesting, no idea about the cost here.

Greetings & hth, Eric

------------------------------

From: Francis Tseng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:41:46 -0500

I've tried setserial as well. In particular, I use the following line:
setserial -v /dev/ttyS0 port 0x3f8 auto_irq autoconfig

and the response I get is:
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

Under Windows, my modem is configured for com 1 on irq 4.

Again, to reiterate the problem, the modem only responds to the "AT" command
if I turn it off and back on during a minicom session. If I don't switch the
modem off and on and run minicom for a second time, the modem still does not
respond to the "AT" command.
--
Francis

------------------------------

From: Eric Dondelinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 486 DLC 40 Server
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:48:07 +0200

Hi,

> I am a newbie to linux red hat...  I was wondering whether it be possible to
> install linux on a 486 DLC 40 with 4 mb ram.  I only want dos based server,
> the pc only has a 40 meg hdd.

red hat most probably won't do in 4mb. You may want to try muLinux
(a distribution on only a few floppies) from floppy only, if it
works for you you can put it on that harddrive. Yet even there they
talk about 8 mb ram.
http://sunsite.auc.dk/mulinux/

An even smaller distro is tom's rootboot, to be found at
http://www.toms.net/rb/home.html
I use that one as a rescue/diagnostic system if the need arises.
There you'll find links to other minimal distros, that might work
for this kind of machine.

Greetings & hth, Eric

------------------------------

From: Francis Tseng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:05:58 -0500

The problem is that I can't get the modem to respond to the "AT" command
in the first place. I've also tried typing "+++" as you have suggested
but nothing happens. How do you recommend checking for IRQ conflicts?
The Modem-HOWTO says that looking at /proc/interrupts or the output of
setserial will not necessaily provide an indication of a conflict. As I
indicated in a previous post, the output of running the command:
setserial -v /dev/ttyS0 port 0x3f8 auto_irq autoconfig

is
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

which is the same as how my modem is configured under Windows.

--
Francis

MaryP wrote:
-
- In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Francis Tseng
- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-
- > Hi, I have a Zoom external modem but have trouble initializing it
upon
- > boot. After my system is ready, I run minicom and don't get the "OK"
- > prompt. If I type "AT" myself, I see nothing on the screen. The
strange
- > thing is that if I switch the power of my external modem off and
then on
- > again, I can get the modem to respond with "OK" when I type
- > "AT". Does anyone know why this is happening? Oh, the modem is
turned on
- > during the boot process.
-
- I still have the manual for an old 28.8 Zoom here, and the init string
- that reset it to factory specs was AT&F. AT&F1 is also a common init
- string. Give those a try, as well as ATZ. I don't know if those same
- commands work with modern Zooms or not, but hey. If you do not have
your
- modem's docs, try looking up Zoom's web site.
-
- Maybe the modem is getting turned on (at boot) in data mode instead of
AT
- (command) mode. On one of mine, the characters +++ and a one-second
pause
- escape it into AT mode if it is in data mode. See what happens if you
send
- it those characters. If it sends you an OK after the +++ (pause), then
you
- can start sending it AT commands. (I know this applies to internal
modems,
- not sure about externals -- ?)
-
- Is your computer messing around with the IRQ your modem is using? Did
you
- check for IRQ conflicts before *and* after switching the modem off and
on
- manually? Plug and play could be playing tricks. If so, you could
always
- tell the computer to leave it alone at boot and just turn the modem on
by
- hand until you sort this one out.
-
- HTH