  OnStream SCSI Drive Problems ("Kjell Uddeborg")

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:13:01 -0800

Nicholas Yue wrote:

> Igor wrote:
> >
> > If you know of any decent TV/Video Capture card that supports EITHER
> > Win2k or Linux, please let me know. (I expect that most people would not
> > know a card that supports both just because they do not deal with the
> > two operating systems. So please let me know the cards that support
> > one of them).
>
>         You might also want to have a look at FlyVideo'98.
>
>         http://www.lifeview.com
>
>         They have W2K support and also URL links to Linux.

I did not find anyting on Linux.  Can you post the url?  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:16:44 GMT

This reply from Larry Ebbit was a real useless piece of information.
The poor guy is trying to get his mouse working and all you can say
is that you got it going just fine and the wheel doesn't work, but
that's fine by you since you don't like the wheel anyway. What kind
of stupid reply is that? Why don't you at least tell the guy *how*
you got it going, and what changes you would make if you *did* want
to use the wheel. Contribute something useful rather than just saying
"Well I did it."

Dumb Southerners.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Larry Ebbitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Simon Welch wrote:
> >
> > I have just installed Suse Linux 6.4, I can not get my Microsoft
> > Intellimouse Optical mouse to work.  I have tried PS/2 & USB (it has
> > converter) but neither works.
> >
> > Does anyone know where I can download some drivers?  And do I
> > definetely need some?
> >

> I have a RH 6.1 installation.  I installed an Intellimouse Optical in
> the palce of my plain ol' mouse and it works well.  As I don't care
for
> the wheel, this is fine. If I want wheel support I must make changes
> the X configuration.
>
> --
> Larry Ebbitt - Linux + OS/2 - Atlanta

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Clifton T. Sharp Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ghost partition
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:59:45 -0500

Eric wrote:
> And to Clifton, could you post a file containing your MBR?
> (ie. dd if=/dev/hda of=MBR.img bs=512 count=1)
> and post MBR.img (as an attachment)

Better to post it in text (binaries don't belong in non-binary newsgroups).

000000 [all-zero lines snipped through 0x1af]
0001b0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0001c0 02 00 82 fe 3f 20 01 00 00 00 e0 16 08 00 80 00
0001d0 01 21 83 fe ff ff e1 16 08 00 1e 84 5b 02 00 00
0001e0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 03 55 aa

I see that fdisk stored the remaining 769 sectors in the nr_sects element
of the fourth partition. That's probably it. Now to figure out why it
didn't just stuff those extra sectors into the second partition I defined
(where I told it to use everything that was left).

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|   Cliff Sharp   |  Hate spam? Take the Boulder Pledge!                      |

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to install a PC with only SCSI/floppy/CD-ROM but no IDE ?!
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:28:21 +0200

I am trying to install a new mail server without an IDE drive; there is
only a floppy disk and a CD-ROM and a SCSI-disk.

The SCSI-adapter is 53C1010 Symbios.

The kernel (RedHat 6.1) on the standard Linux boot disk comes without
SCSI-support, so it does not find the SCSI-disk of course.

I used another machine to make a new boot-floppy using mkinitrd and
makebootdisk, but although the sym53c8xx module is being loaded the
SCSI-disk is still not found; in fact the device driver says the device
is busy. Final result is a kernel panic.

How to proceed?

Thanx,

Jan Humme.

------------------------------

From: "Herman Viaene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem - IRQ not found
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:41:31 +0200

I have an internal hard modem Zoltrix which works under WinNT on com4, port
2e8 IRQ3 (set on the board, no PNP).

When under  Corel linux I use minicom, the modem answers on AT commands, but
very
slowly. I can also dial out, but the modem seems to hang after negotiating
with the remote party. According the Modem-Howto, the slow handling is due
to IRQ problems. And that is very likely the case since in the Corel Control
Center I see all other IRQ's used, but not IRQ3. I have editied 0setserial
in /etc/rc.boot to exclude dev/ttyS1 and made the line on dev/ttyS3 active
and created a link /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS3, but this has apparently no
effect on the activation of IRQ3.

Anybody an idea how to handle this

TIA

------------------------------

From: Stuffed Crust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 26 Oct 2000 18:50:27 GMT

In rec.video.desktop Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I did not find anyting on Linux.  Can you post the url?  Thanks.

http://www.strusel007.de/linux/bttv/

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.

------------------------------

From: Remko Bolt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Subject: Re: use un-cachable RAM as swap on RAM drive
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:10:52 +0000

Joachim Ring wrote:
> unfortunately he seems to use win, maybe a reason to convert?

Actually I am dualboot (still looking for an alternative to outlook
express I can get used to).

Greetings, remko

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jabroni154)
Subject: Re: MSI694 and Promise ATA100
Date: 26 Oct 2000 18:23:57 GMT

Sorry, a bit more info on the system:

MSI 694D-Pro
Dual PIII 800s
256 MB RAM
Diamond Viper V770 (TNT2 Ultra)
Sony CD-RW    (IDE0 Master)
Creative DVD  (IDE1 Master)
IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15.0 GB (IDE2)
IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15.0 GB (IDE3)

Win 2000 Professional
Win ME
Linux 2.4.0-test9 kernel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Vid drivers on Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:43:31 -0500

Hi,

First, I am trying to make a dual boot with Linux on one partition and
some windows platform or another. Ive never done this before, but I have
heard there can be issues getting the video drivers to work properly. I
figured id go with something like RedHat Linux which seems to have
support for quite a few video drivers. Is there a good way to re-install
video drivers for linux if my display does not work properly?

thanks,

From: "bluster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Vid drivers on Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:21:51 -0400

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi,
>
> First, I am trying to make a dual boot with Linux on one partition and
> some windows platform or another. Ive never done this before, but I have
> heard there can be issues getting the video drivers to work properly. I
> figured id go with something like RedHat Linux which seems to have
> support for quite a few video drivers. Is there a good way to re-install
> video drivers for linux if my display does not work properly?
>
> thanks,

The vid drivers you are talking about are part of the XFree86 X11 window
system packages, they *should* be the same for all distro's of linux.

Each "driver" is built into its own Xserver package, you can add
or remove them individually to change drivers if you pick the wrong
one during the install.

Bluster

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:32:02 -0500

Ok. Is this easy to do? I imagine by using the Gnome interface it should be
straightforward? Is there a command line method?

------------------------------

From: Chris Rankin <au.zipworld.com@{no.spam}rankinc>
Subject: Supermicro PIIIDME + IO-APIC: A New Hope?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:07:54 +1100

Hi,
I recently bought a Supermicro PIIIDME + 2x733 PIII Coppermine CPUs, and
was unable to boot it in APIC mode because it would lockup occasionally.
Well, I have just managed to fsck my hard disc under Linux 2.4.0-test9
with IO-APIC enabled... All other crash-tests have failed to kill the
box...

Anyone else out there with PIIIDMEs care to give APIC a shot again?

Cheers,
Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Old Bear)
Subject: Re: 10base2 hubs, where can I find one?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:21:23 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela) writes:

>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
>Subject: Re: 10base2 hubs, where can I find one?
>Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 02:45:25 -0400
>
>On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 23:43:44 GMT, Bob Hauck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>I really doubt that 10base2 will be cheaper, even if you can find old
>>netcards that support it.  Coax is comparable in price to Cat5, the
>>installation is no easier (in fact it might be harder due to the
>>daisy-chaining requirement), and hubs are all of $30. On top of all
>>that, if you install good wiring you can upgrade 10baseT to 100baseT by
>>replacing the hub, but there is no upgrade path for 10base2.  Oh, and I
>>forgot to mention that 10baseT can be switched rather than hubbed so
>>that Apt 1A can't look at the traffic for Apt 1B
>
>        Yes but have you EVER priced some of these switches? YiYi YI!
>Lets see if I can figure this out. If I go 10baset using Cat-5 wire
>with one jack in the kitch, 3 bedrooms and livingroom and might as
>well throw the bathrom in. thats 6 cables going to the basement
>wiring  room or "core Room" as I called it. PER UNIT. there is 4 of
>these thats 24 ports right there!. Plus one One Bedroom unit (mine)
>and one 2 Bedrom unit. thats  7 more ports! for a needed switch or hub
>with 31 ports! If I were to do something like this. run a 10base2
>cable to each HUB or switch  for each floor that would mean 3
>HUBS/switches (its 3 floors btw) of 12 ports EACH HUB plus the BNC
>backbone connection.

Wouldn't do it that way.

I would run ONE cat5 cable to each unit and then place a small
hub (<$30) if the occupant wanted multiple connections inside the
unit.  Otherwise, you'd just patch the cable going to the
bedroom, or living room or den to the single incoming cat5.

Privacy becomes less an issue because traffic is segmented to
the apartment unit.

This is like power distribution with each unit having a local
breaker panel.

The other nice thing about separate feeds to each unit is that
you can easily disconnect a unit if the tenant is not paying
for service.

10base2 is a bad idea because, unless you use a concentrator,
the units are daisey-chained and a break in a connection in
any unit will disable the entire network -- not to mention
taking hours to track down as you work your way along from
unit to unit with your handy coax tester.

I've also found that the BNC connectors are easily damaged,
especially because you need two lengths of coax and a
tee-connector at each computer on the network where you
daisey-chain.  And, while 2Mb/sec is fine for current internet
use, it's going to die when the teenage kids decide to try
multi-player games between apartments.

>As for going to 100baseTX in the future. This complex is in
>the slums of Willimantic! Most people have a hard time  getting
>anything fancier than a 286 machine! If I were to play it safe. I
>would need to drop all 31 cables to the "core" and then at my patch
>pannel support RS422 or RS232 terminal connections (after all an
>unplugged 10baset connector can run a terminal via RS422 or RS232
>fairly well. (thats why I wanted to have a "computer work area" so
>non-computer owners of the building can still  access  the network via
>terminals.

An alternative, if one of the newer cable systems is in the area, to
let them bring coax to each unit and place one of their boxes which
splits off telephone, cable TV and internet access as a package
with the tenant buying whichever services he or she wants.

But based on your description of the situation, I think you can
provide a much less costly (to both landlord and tenants) system
by just running 1 cat5 from each unit.)  10baseT and 100baseT can
coexist so it is possible to upgrade the central system at a future
date without forcing any of the tenants to change anything unless
they want the higher speed service.

Figure each tenant will need a $20 NIC card and a $10 cable for
each computer he or she wants to connect.  Add another $30 for
an inexpensive 10baseT 8-port hub with uplink for those tenants
who want multiple connections.   Amortizing this over five years,
we're talking only a few dollars a month.

>>10base2 is a *really bad idea* for any new installation and is
>>exceptionally bad for an apartment situation that will probably stay in
>>place for years.
>
>        Yet it does have its places.

I put a 10base2 network in my home in 1992 because hubs were quite
expensive and were a likely single point of failure.  However, I have
abandoned the coax in the walls and fished cat5 which offers much
more flexibility and is a heck of a lot easier to crimp on RJ-45
connectors which cost a dime versus a dollar for a quality BNC
connector assembly.

I have one segment of the old 10base2 remaining which runs to my
kitchen (where the old 486 is still gainfully employed) and works
fine with my inexpensive hub which supports one BNC 10base2
connection in addition to its 7 RJ-45 10baseT ports.  The only
reason I have not replaced this segment is laziness.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

------------------------------

From: "Kjell Uddeborg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: OnStream SCSI Drive Problems
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:51:33 GMT

I have an Onstream ADR50 tape drive and an Adaptec SCSI Card 29160 connected
to my Linux Redhat 6.2 server. I'm having some problems accessing and using
the drive. Linux does not load the aic7xxx module during boot even if I have
configured it to do that from the control panel. If I try to run some mt
commands right after boot it will complain about that the device does not
exist. After this I can manually load the aic7xxx module with the command
"insmod aic7xxx", this will not generate any errors. After this I CAN use
the mt commands and they seem to work ok. But when I start up my backup
software (Novanet) it will not recognize the tape drive.

I think that it's some kind of problem with the Linux setup for this device.
Would you happen to know of any commands I can run to try to track down what
the problem is. So far I have tried "lsmod". lsmod will not display the
aic7xxx module after boot but it will display it after I run the insmod
command.

I appreciate any tips you might have about how to track this down.

Thanks for your help,
Kjell.