On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Stanislav Malyshev a.k.a Frodo wrote:

> OS>> spam. As to why you encountered this error --- Dial-up users aren't
> OS>> ``supposed'' to send email _directly_ from their (dynamic) connection.
>
> I did this routinely when I used dialup, and it always was OK. Local qmail
> collects messages and sendthem directly, what's bad in that?

A Better way is to have your local MTA collect messages (assuming you want
to do your mail writing offline ..) and relay them through another SMTP
server.

With your scenario, what happens if the host you're trying to send a
message to is unreachable ?

SMTP retries are handled better witha host connected to the net 24H ..

> OS>> There are several other reasons to that, mainly is the fact that you don't
> OS>> want replies to go to dialup-XXX.CITY.netvision.net.il ..
>
> What's the connection? You get replies basing on your message's headers,
> not on your IP.

Ofcourse. So in your case you rewrite the headers to say
"From: $user@$isp" ..

> OS>> You're supposed to relay all of your outgoing messages through your ISP's
> OS>> mail server (usually mail.ISP).
>
> Some very helpful ISPs in Israel are rejecting mail which has From:
> different from [EMAIL PROTECTED] So you can't use your
> external/work/hotmail/whatever address from your dialup. I don't know
> what moved them to this strange decision (you can protect from spam
> relaying by IP, not by From: which is easily forgeable anyway)...

ITYM for relaying. That's a poorly configured mail server. they should
allow relay by IP, either from connection, or from comparing the `HELO'
one ..

If they can't match IPs, there's always the pop-before-smtp way ..

-- Ors