On Wed, 9 May 2001, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:

> On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 12:37:08PM +0300, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> > > Do we really want to break consistency with the *NIX world for consistency
> > > with Windows? Doesn't that make you feel the least bit awkward? Don't we
> > > ever want to pose a viable, independent alternative?
>
> Compatibility with the *NIX world = have no Hebrew support at all :)
>
> Ctrl-Shift looks like a reasonable key binding for me, along with
> Alt-Shift for switching. They are closely located, and most users which
> used multilingualenvironment are used to them. (Okay, Apple uses
> Alt-Space, but what do they use for directionality changing?)

Is directionality changing a seperate key binding for X?

Windows has a key combination for base-directionality changing. This is to
be handled by an input widget. That is: this is something that we have to
make sure that gtk and qt agree on. But it is not something fro XFree to
worry about.

> Using Scroll-Lock or Caps-Lock is interesting from the practical point
> of view, but from the human interfaces design point of view, it
> obfuscates the meaning of keys whose meaning is originally clear,

Clear = you got used to it.

> and forces users to lelearn a set of keys when moving from desktop
> (Linux) to desktop (Windows).

I don't think that windows compatibility can come before usefulness.

What about me having to teach emacs, pine, etc. a new set of bindings?

One problem of scroll-lock, though that it does not come in two directions
(to allow switching a group back, not only forward). But I figure that
shift-scroll-lock or something can make up to that.

> No free desktop (KDE, GNOME) has any use for Ctrl-Shift. What does?

So what?

Basically there should be a default, and it should be easy to change.

At the moment xkbcomp lacks some ooptions, but it is more a matter of the
GUIs using xkb proeprly. Then it will be easy to switch from one binding
key to another (as it is from the command-line today).

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]