On Wed, May 09, 2001, Adi Stav wrote about "Re: Bidi support for Linux":
> Why not keep ctrl-shift-key passing the event on to whoever was
> looking for it, but keep ctrl-shift alone as a direction changer? I
> think that's what Windows does, too. I feel that direction change is a
> very Meta thing, Meta enough to justify this.

This is problematic, because if you want to press ctrl-shift-5 (for example)
and after pressing ctrl-shift you change your mind, what are you going to
do? depressing the keys will get you that magic Hebrew-switching combination...
You can, perhaps, press also the alt (for example), finally getting
ctrl-shift-alt. But this is really ugly :(

Reminds me of a binding XEmacs once had in Fortran mode (oof, here I go
mentioning Fortran again...): if you pressed ";" (the semicolon key) followed
by a alphabetic character or two, it was an abbreviation for longer Fortran
keywords.
This was ok, because Fortran has no official use for a semicolon, so you
usually would not want to enter in a real one. But what happened when you
accidentally pressed a semicolon? It would appear on the display, and the
normal reaction was to follow it by a backspace, to erase that mistake. But
it turned out that (at least at the time I tried it) backspace and control-H
were the same thing, and "; control-H" was bound to showing help on this ";"
abbreviation trick! This was _extremely_ annoying, and exactly the same thing
will happen if your ctrl-shift suggestion is adopted.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |    Wednesday, May  9 2001, 16 Iyyar 5761
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |A good programmer is someone who looks