Hi

Next time, please try to write shorter lines, to make quoting easier.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 11:56:09PM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
> > Hi folks!
> >
> > 1. I reorganised my system, splitting it into multiple mount points for logistic
> > reasons. I tried using Partiton Magic, as I usually do, but on a 30Gb drive it
> > bombed out, so there was nothing for it, but to build a new minimal system,
> > install bru (my backup choice) and restore everything with overwrite i.e. what
> > came out at the other end was (after fiddling fstab and lilo.conf), a perfect
> > working system - same as before EXCEPT ... the time (IST, local time (not GMT))
> > insists on being two hours ahead of the CMOS clock. I can only correct it per
> > boot by manually using date MMDDhhmm etc. Any ideas what might be causing this &
> > how to fix? (Env = {SuSE 7.1, kernel 2.4.9, ...}) (I tried a few other nonesense
> > settings and always get the same thing. Win 2000 works OK).
> >

> Doesn't the fact that Win 2000 works OK means that your CMOS time is adjusted
> to show IST?
> IIRC, this can explains your time problem: Linux is adjusted to read the CMOS
> time as UTC and thus add 2 hours when it needs to show IST.
> It could be that at least with Debian, hwclock and/or some setting for the
> boot scripts can fixed that. Probably something similar for SUSE.
> BTW: hwclock can show you the CMOS actual time. IIRC it can also set the CMOS
> time. Should help you to find the cause and fix the problem.
>

> > 2. One of the "junk" systems I put together, has a P166 + 32Mb and a "dafuk" IDE
> > primary slot (The machine originally had Win 95 on a 2Gb drive which booted OK
> > from the the second IDE slot.) With Linux, I can only boot off a floppy, since
> > lilo won't allow an IDE hard disk boot from anthing other than
> > /dev/hda<something>. Upon examining the lilo.conf man page I found all sorts of
> > interesting tricks for remapping the IDE drive ID's: e.g.
> > disk=/dev/hdc bios=0x80
> > or
> > map-drive=0x82 to=0x80
> >
> > My root device is /dev/hdc5, and I boot from on /dev/fd0. I would like to use
> > the above disk= ... mapping. I modified lilo.conf to root, /dev/hda5, boot from
> > /dev/hda2 and put the boot sector on /dev/hda MBR. I also modified fstab to
> > reflect the new arrangement. Of coure lilo failed, because the new arrangements
> > are meaningless until I reboot, which I cannot do! What to do?

Chicken-and-Egg :-)
I think it's possible to fix this cleanly, but the easiest thing would
be to move (physically) to the new arrangement, boot from floppy, and
then run lilo.
To make least noise, you should boot from the floppy single user,
since your fstab will be wrong and will fail fsck.

Good luck.
I am very happy to hear about someone that actually *did* backup his
system before doing such delicate things. I know I don't, and never
heard of anyone who does (well, except of production machines).

> > Thanks to the people who supplied the "junk". I'm still looking for Pentium
> > stuff, MB with slot 7 or better.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > Dan Feiglin

> --
> When responding, please qoute my entire message.
>
>     Shaul Karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        Didi