How did you manage to convert the deb to rpm?

I tried alien, but it get the following message:
> alien -f bidi-openoffice.org_1.0.0-4_i386.deb
Control file couldn't be read! at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Alien/Package/Deb.pm line 161.

I am using Mandrake 8.2, and I got this message both from the alien
package that comes with the system and from the latest version that I've
installed by myself (version 8.07).

where did I go wrong?

thanks,
Itai.