Tzafrir Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> One note: people there seem to be quite clueless regarding the
> distribution of encryption technologies:
>
>   The legitlators accept the position of the Security Forces according to
>   which "limiting the use of encryption and limiting the distribution of
>   sophisticated security systems will help the defense organizations to
>   intercept messages containing information that can lead to to the
>   circumvention of terrorist acts. On the other hand, giving encryption
>   technologies to terrorists will increase the number of casualties in
>   crimes that can't be prevented.
>
> Anybody else senses here a cheap use of the terror (in greek: fear)
> threat?

Cheap or not is not the point. The point is that it is mostly
pointless. Encryption technologies *are* available, and widely
used. The government cannot prevent terrorists or criminals from
getting and using them. The only thing that can be done about it is
outlaw them. Obviously, it will hurt the privacy of ordinary
law-abiding citizens like you and me. It will not hurt terrorists and
criminals, because they are on the path of breaking more important
laws anyway.

The argument that once government carnivores detect encrypted
communications between Alice and Bob (who do not use email
anonymizers) the security services will be able to arrest, prosecute,
and jail Alice and Bob, thus preventing a terrorist act the two could
have been plotting, seems to me theoretically valid but rather weak in
practice. If the only thing that Alice and Bob wanted was keeping
their affair secret from Alice's husband, then we have a situation
where two people are put into jail for that (if Alice and Bob are not
proven to be terrorists, but encryption is a crime, then they will
have to be convicted for trying to protect their privacy).

Similarly, linux-il subscriber Carol won't be able to telecommute any
longer, because her employer would be unwilling to use an unencrypted
channel for fear of leakage of valuable information, and wouldn't be
willing to use an encrypted channel for fear of running afoul of the
law.

I am afraid this line of reasoning is difficult to explain to
legislators, or indeed to any audience sufficiently remote from this
list's core population. That is why what you call "cheap use of the
terror threat" works.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]