On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 16:13, Eran Tromer wrote:
> Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
>  > (http://www.mod.gov.il/modh1/encryption/tzofend.htm) doesn't seem to
>
> Of all the products that I recognize on this list (i.e., most of them),
> not even one includes reasonably secure encryption.  The only exceptions
> I could spot are the encryption stuff built into Windows and Solaris
> (e.g., SSL and password hashing), assuming strong encryption is now
> standard in these products (is it?).
>
> The rule thus seems to be that you can get a permit for your
> cryptographic application as long as it's easy to break. Makes perfect
> sense, of course. Don't count on PGP or SSH showing up anytime soon.

For the record, I approached the relevant people at the Ministry of
defence regarding use of PGP for protecting business email and was told
by the pwers that be that for regulat commercial *use* they don't
require you to ask for a specific license. Yes, I know that it's
different from the exact law. That's what they said. This was about a
year ago.

Gilad.

>    Regards,
>      Eran Tromer

Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://benyossef.com

 "We don't need kernel hackers or geniuses, we need good developers who
  will do what they're told". Famous last words, the collection.