I just tried to see if kword could take over from lyx as my primary
wordprocessor for Hebrew. My output needs are:
1* can produce ps
2* ps has embedded fonts
3* can produce html
4* html is standard compliant
5* can produce pdf
6* pdf that embeds fonts
7* can utilize utf-8
8* has good export facilities (text, tex, rtf, ...)

Obviously all the above must be met for Hebrew.

Kword does 1, 5 and 7, I don't know about 6, but I had no success with2, and 4
needs some fixing, and I have a problem with the implementation 3 and 8.

LyX does 1, 2, 3 (using my latex2html patches and those I worked on with Ross
Moore; some are already in cvs, although it is still a bit broken, and it
should hopefully work properly soon enough), 4 (again, using the same
patches), 5, 6 and 8.

My problems with Kword are:
* html and text export does not preserve footnotes
* when exporting to tex there is no way to specify an encoding other than
latin1 or utf-8
* Despite having selected in the kde language and country dialog Israel as the
country (I assume that this should set the locale to Israel's), and despite
embed fonts having been selected in qtconfig, Kword still won't do that. I
must note that other applications, such as konqueror, have done a beautiful
job printing Hebrew since kde 2.x
* html does not contain dir=rtl tags, an issue when a paragraph starts with
certain sequences, such as "1.", which should be displayed as ".1", for
rudimentary numbered lists, also, otherwise bullets are on the wrong side of
the page
* the displaying of the frames is still buggy, especially with Hebrew
footnotes
* when indenting Hebrew text, the text block does not become narrower, but
simply shifts to the left, such that some of the text becomes invisible

Lyx, OTOH, doesn't do utf-8, so I am setting my eyes on the soon to be
mainstreamed bidi implementation of openoffice... (any news on that front?)

Should I forward this to some kde developer? (Lars ... what's his email?)

Arie Folger
--
It is absurd to seek to give an account of the matter to a man
who cannot himself give an account of anything; for insofar as