On Wed, Nov 20, 2002, Matitiahu Allouche wrote about "Re: Kword not ready for [Hebrew]
prime time yet":
> Herouth wrote:
>
> >Anyways, standard-compliant HTML should NOT use DIR=RTL tags. This is a
> >stylesheet issue. It should have a CLASS="rightToLeft" tag, or something
> like
> >that, and have a stylesheet containing "direction: rtl" for that class.
> >Alternatively it should have a STYLE="direction: rtl" attribute.
>
> I beg to differ.  DIR=RTL (by the way, it is an attribute, not a tag) is
> defined in HTML 4, so anyone using it *is* standard-compliant.  You may

I agree, though I'm by no means a standards scholar.

I usually use the same stylesheet for both Hebrew and English, with several
options changed according to whether or not the BODY tag carries the
DIR=RTL attribute or not (in other words, my English documents have
<BODY>, my Hebrew documents have <BODY DIR=RTL>.
Incidentally, my Hebrew documents also have
    <HTML DIR=RTL lang="he">
and

For example, to have a different background for Hebrew and English documents,
I use something like this in my homepage's stylesheet:

   BODY {
           background: url("bg-120.GIF") repeat-y left;
   }
   BODY[dir=rtl] {
           background: url("bg-120-rtl.GIF") repeat-y right;
   }

And I can make some classes look slightly different in Hebrew, for
example:

   .funkymenu {
           float:left;
           margin-left: -135px;
           margin-right: 4px;
   }
   BODY[dir=rtl] > .funkymenu {
        float:right;
        margin-right: -135px;
        margin-left:4px
   }

--
Nadav Har'El                        |    Thursday, Nov 21 2002, 16 Kislev 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |It's fortunate I have bad luck - without