On Sat, Dec 07, 2002, Tzafrir Cohen wrote about "Re: Hebrew Lashon Academy":
> Also: still no hebrew term for the "web". Unlike "interent" and many other

I hurts me to see people trying to invent new translations for simple
English words like "web" or "cookie". The article that started this thread
mentions that the "cookie" in the HTTP standard are now to be called
in Hebrew "kukit". Why??? There's a perfectly good translation for "cookie"
already, and it is an "ugiya".

When what's-his-name invented the term "world wide web", each of these
words literally meant what it meant. "web" is that sticky intricate
construction woven by spiders to catch their prey. It already has a Hebrew
translation: the Hebrew-English dictionary on my shelf suggests, for example
kurim or ma'arag, or even masechet (e.g., "web of lies"). If you think calling
it by one of those words is silly, look back to before the advent of HTML
and NCSA Mosaic (around 1993, if I remember correctly). When I first heard
the terms WWW or "World Wide Web" I didn't know what it meant, and the whole
name sounded strange. Who would have figured that 10 years later the word
"web", previously reserved to silky wires coming out of the derriere of a
spider (or things metaphorically similar to the spider web), will come to
mean a "cyberspace" of HTML documents and HTTP servers?

For the same reason I think "cookie" should be translated as "ugiya".
Think it's silly to call piece of data stored on your machine after a
small flat cake? Well, it's just as silly in English...

> English/Latin/Greek words, web is actually very short, and thus quite easy
> to use. Even though many people (including the author or editor of the
> above-mentioned story) still confuse the "web" with "the internet".

Note that the article clearly says that the word they translated was the
*uncapitalized* "internet", not "the Internet" with a capital I. The
difference is important. An internet is any network composed of several
local-area-networks, by the internet protocol (IP). The Internet (with
the definite article, and a capital I) is the global collection of all
computers connected with IP.

> (Eli Marmor once proposed ост: (Mem Samekh Ayin), the hebrew acronyms of
> Maarag Sovev Olam. IT is a direct translation of WWW and a simple words,
> but Hebrew doesn't like acronyms, I figure.)

It's time for the acronym "WWW" to die: it's unwieldy, useless, and
horrifying to hear spoken out loud on the radio. Let's not find a Hebrew
translation for it - lest we'll start seing that term stuck on the
domain names of Hebrew sites ;)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |         Sunday, Dec 8 2002, 3 Tevet 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I want to live forever or die in the