On Mon, Feb 17, 2003, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote about "Re: Guessing filesystem while
unmounted":
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:48:07PM +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> > Note, by the way, that newer distributions (such as Redhat 8) use Grub,
> > not LILO, so anything relying on the structure of a lilo boot record
> > isn't foolproof either.
>
> I never investigated this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I
> believe that the boot record structure is standardized and even *gasp*
> documented.

Well, as far as I know Grub does not know where your root filesystem ("/")
lives, until it first finds the boot filesystem, finds the grub/grub.conf
file in it (grub understands the ext2 filesystem), reads it and finds there
the specification of where the filesystem is.

This is both quite complex, and very different from what Lilo does; With
lilo, you must rerun "lilo" (to change the boot sector) every time you
make a change to /etc/lilo.conf. With grub, you don't have to do it, because
most of the information is looked up on your boot filesystem, not on the
boot sector.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Monday, Feb 17 2003, 16 Adar I 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Sign seen in restaurant: We Reserve The