doing :
awk '{if ($2=="/")print $1}' /etc/fstab

will print either the root partition (e.g. /dev/hda2 ) or the root label ( e.g. LABEL=/ )
the first is trevial,
the second, can be found by running e2label on all partitions and seeing wich has the right label

erez.

Uri Itscowits wrote:

Hi there,

I need to guess which is the root filesystem ( on GNU/Linux OC), while all partitions are still unmounted.

I could of course mount each in turn, and look for /etc/fstab or so, but I am looking for a way which won't involve mounting, if possible.

Any ideas out there ?

TIA.