On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:02:59PM +0200, Uri Itscowits wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I need to guess which is the root filesystem ( on GNU/Linux OC),
>   while all partitions are still unmounted.
>
> I could of course mount each in turn, and look for /etc/fstab or so,
>   but I am looking for a way which won't involve mounting, if possible.
>

> Any ideas out there ?

  You are not in a position where you can impose some requirements on
the the fs before doing this guess work, do you? If you can impose
priory requirements then one way would be to e2label the root fs with
something meaningful. You don't need a fs to be mounted in order to get
its e2label.

E2LABEL(8)                                           E2LABEL(8)

NAME
    e2label - Change the label on an ext2 filesystem

SYNOPSIS
    e2label device [ new-label ]

DESCRIPTION
    e2label  will  display  or  change  the  filesystem
    label  on the ext2 filesystem located on device.

    If the optional argument new-label is
    not present, e2label will  simply
    display the current filesystem label.

--