On Mon, Feb 17, 2003, Orna Agmon wrote about "Re: Guessing filesystem while unmounted":
> > Well, as far as I know Grub does not know where your root filesystem ("/")
> > lives, until it first finds the boot filesystem, finds the grub/grub.conf
> > file in it (grub understands the ext2 filesystem), reads it and finds there
> > the specification of where the filesystem is.
>
> What happens if you use another filesystem on / ? ext3, for example. Or
> something that is not ext3 at all? can grub read all of them?

Ext3 is basically backward-compatible with Ext2, in the sense that you can
mount a clean Ext3 system as Ext2 without losing anything. So Grub didn't
need to make any changes to read Ext3 filesystems

Anyway, "info grub" is your friend when it comes to grub. Quoting from that
info,
        "The currently supported filesystem types are "BSD FFS", "DOS FAT16
         and FAT32", "Minix fs", "Linux ext2fs", "ReiserFS", "JFS", "XFS",
         and "VSTa fs".

If you look on your disk, in directory /boot/grub, you'll notice files
like "e2fs_stage1_5", "reiserfs_stage1_5", etc. - these are (as far as I
know - I'm not really a grub expert...) the files that grub uses to be
able to later read the configuration file, stage2, and finally the actual
kernel, from the file system. Some of this is explained in the info file
(check "hacking GRUB").

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Monday, Feb 17 2003, 16 Adar I 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Boat: A hole in the water surrounded by