On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 05:50:37PM +0200, Alon Weinstein wrote:

> > So... don't open KWord! I don't use any Linux app which imitates the
> > (broken, IMHO) MS GUI interfaces. Neither KWord, nor evolution, nor
> > openoffice, nor name-your-favorite-MS-application-Linux-clone.
>
> Care to list the alternative options? I can guess Lyx for document creation,
> GIMP for image manipulation, but that's where my list ends. What are the
> options to perform other common tasks:

LyX or your favorite text editor (I use xemacs) and LaTeX command line
tools (I use tetex) for everything that requires typesetting
(presentations through pretty printed code), and xemacs and plain text
for everything else.

I don't do image manipulation, but the one or two times that I had to,
I used the gimp.

> -- Email & Organizer (an only-email client is no replacement for Outlook or
> Evolution)

I use mutt with xemacs as the editor, and plain text files to organize
everything I need.

> -- Spreadsheet

Don't use it, but when I did, I used gnumeric.

> -- Presentations

xemacs, LaTeX, xpdf.

> -- File and web-browsing (i.e Windows Explorer/Konquerer/Galleon)

mozilla.

> Those are the first things that pop to my head, I'm sure there are other
> areas in which most OSS alternatives are merely imitating MS's or any
> commercial vendor's products.

Most OSS alternatives might be imitating MS, but who cares? All I need
is one alternative that isn't, and if none exists, I write my own.

It's not that I hate MS, or their product. I just happen to think that
the GUI metaphor they use, coupled with dumbing down the user, is
condencending and plain uncomfortable to use. Therefore, I use
something else.
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org