On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 07:25:49PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 20:41, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> >
> > > Quoth [EMAIL PROTECTED] on Tue, Mar 04, 2003:
> > >
> > > Seen it.  Not so convenient, and *really* doesn't belong
> > > together.  Nor do I see the point of having a mailer inside your
> > > browser.
> >
> > This is a work around a *problem* of the system/UI.
> >
> > On my system I simply:
> >
> >   cat  file  [|possible pipe] | {mail|mutt} whatever
> >
> >   cat  file  [|possible pipe] | lpr
>
> And you think it's more convenient than pressing the "Print" button?
> I've been there and moved on.
>
> (BTW, "cat file | program" is the most naive beginner mistake, if it's
> only one file then you can run "program < file", RTFM :-).

To put what Tzafrir said in other words:
Say you have
prog1 < file1 | prog2 | prog3 ...
and you want to put something between file1 and prog1. You have to:
move to the beginning, insert 'prog0 < file1', move on, then delete
'< file1'. If 'prog0' and 'prog1' are long awk/sed programs, and the
whole thing is more than, say, 2 lines, it's much more difficult and
error-prone than to simply insert '| prog0' after the 'cat'.

Since you are a Unix oldtimer you already know that ...

The reason I decided to reply to an off-topic thread is to point those
interested to a very nice article/book called
"In the beginning was the command line" (search google, or take
<http://www.spack.org/words/commandline.html>. Note the first result
is not very well formatted). It's not only or mostly about the "command
line", but does talk about it and offers some interesting ideas. It's
more about higher-level sociology of OSes and such stuff.
Sadly, it's rather long, but worth it - even if nothing in it is new to
you technically, it's very well written and entertaining.

        Didi