On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 19:51, Ira Abramov wrote:
> the point is, the right tool for the right job. I agree plugins are
> great, and I agree the CLI pipeline is not too "smart" in many cases to
> serve all the needs, but forking to a new process with several file
> descriptors (not just the one) is a pretty good plugin interface, and
> all you have left to do is decide on a protocol. the two ideas are not

Agreed - when the input fits the interface and the final job at hand
(like fgrep'ing/sed'ing/awk'ing my kern.log to find how many thousands
of attempts were made to access my port 139 and where they came from).

But why throw away a pretty functional graphic mail client which lets me
view HTML and images nicely and give me mail address completion (because
the address book is integrated in the mail client)? Just because it can
work BOTH with a mouse as well as some keyboard input? And allows me
multi-tasking because the compose window is separate so I can check dig
the mail folder without getting out of the compose window?

If you don't use it then why do you bother with X11 on your display at
all?

> THAT remote if you generalize plugins (SOAP?) and make commandline
> piping stronger (two way or more).

That's basically my point - it sounds like people are a bit fanatical
about "CLI and pipes CAN do it all and therefore they MUST be used for
everything and therefore GUI have no right to exist".

I agree that basically pipes in CLI world fulfill similar function to
plugins/RPC/whatever-it's-called-today in the GUI/integrated-interface
world. I think I've even seen attempts with some esoteric shells or UNIX
variants to enable two-way pipes (as well as tricks with named pipes,
but it's never quite robust because of the business of possible
deadlock), evidently it never took off.

What I fail to understand is people's insistence on ignoring or even
despising other ways to do things just because they are different from
the CLI they learned.