Quoting Ira Abramov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> users on linux
> blind users
> users on palm

Is Palm standards-compliant? Last that I heard of it it had terrible Hebrew
problems.

> sticking to standards means it will work on older browsers as well (MSIE
> 4 and 5 anyone?)

Which standards do you mean? Clean HTML4? Sure. DHTML based on W3C DOM is
standards-compliant, but will never work on MSIE 4.

> less code means less chance of security holes, easier debugging and
> overall better speed for the users

Ah, your advocacy is for a *simpler* site, not a *standard* site. These two
things are different. Do we want to put the effort in convincing the man to give
up his gadgets and toys?

If we stick to standardisation, we can tell him that everything he has, he can
still have, only with W3C DOM, Java instead of ActiveX, whatever. If we require
simplicity and stark naked HTML, he may actually have many users who will moan
about the "nice toys" that are gone. Maybe even some bad publicity in the press,
where a blockhead who happens to write an Internet column will mention "Bank
Leumi has gone several years backwards in its new version of the site. Hello,
technology has advanced since 1995!".

Herouth