"Nadav Har'El" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Maybe you're referring to "gentoo" that do such a compilation.

IIRC Mandrake used to compile for i586 in good old days, while RH
compiled for i386.

> It's very hard to obtain more than 10%-15% speed increase from gcc just
> by compiling for a specific processor (say 686) instead of 386. I believe,
> though, that even if there were a 30% speed increase in desktop applications
> you wouldn't be able to notice it...

I agree with what you said in general, nadav, but there might be a
wrinkle on this last argument. AFAIK, perception of interactive apps'
performance is non-linear (as are the other 5 senses): in particular
there is a response threshold above (or below) which the user gets
annoyed. When I was working for a company that dealt with presenting
the results of computations to the user on a screen, the vague rule
was that the computation and the rendering had to finish within 1.5
seconds - above that it was noticeable and annoying. And that's when
users were perfectly aware that the system was doing heavy
number-crunching behind the scenes.

> Of course, a distribution can also contain statically-linked executables
> for improved performance - but I've yet to see any of those (other than
> Embedded Linux distributions).

I doubt this will lead to significant performance difference either,
but again, it may be important in some hard RT systems.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]