Hi,

> A friend of mine had her windows (98) die a horrible death and she
> asked me to reinstall it. I told her that I could install a better
> operating system called Linux instead. Now, this would be fine and
> dandy, as she doesn't need anything special that Linux doesn't support,
>  but her computer is very old. I haven't been told the specs exactly,
>  yet, but my guess would be something like Pentium 200Mhz 64MB and
> probably an under 500MB HD. Which distro could I possibly install that
> will run, will be useable
> (performance/responsiveness wise), and would still have the basics
> you'd expect from a desktop - graphical browsing, email, very basic
> (hebrew) word processing...? Oh, and it needs to support FAT32 as she
> needs to keep her D drive.

I hardly think you can find something that good for her on that machine. KDE & GNOME
are
out of the question with 64MB RAM (I know because I have such a machine). Linux
popular
distributions like Redhat 8 and above, mandrake 8 and above and suse 8 and above will
run
very slow on that machine.

So you can basically install some old distribution, maybe debian, but X will run
terribly slow
on that.

You also want to run Open Office with this machine? now that will be EXTREMLY SLOW as
OpenOffice is a god-damn memory hogger!

People might not like it, but I found that installing Windows 98 on the same machine,
removing
everything from the "run" in the configuration in the registry and keeping everything
minimal
(use Word97 or word2k, not office XP) would run faster. You can do some period backup
of
her registry so that it won't be fucked up.

I belive that the best tool should be use to do the best job.

Thanks,
Hetz