Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> A large ramdrive simplfies the installer: everything is run from a
> standard location. But you can use the "textmode installer" which (I
> believe) also has smaller memory requirements. Is it an issue of not
> using a ramdrive?
>
> I figure that for Redhat the situation is the same.

The text install will run in 32m of ram, but it requires a swap file before
it will do anything.

> > I've installed RH9 on Pentium I machines 133mHz/32m RAM, but they needed a lot
> > more disk space.
>
> Use custom installtion. Ditch stuff you don't need.

Tried that. It's not granular enough.

> Do you really need a complete KDE/gnome desktop on such a computer? it
> will crawl anyway.

No, I what I really wanted, was:

        1. Linux kernel
        2. X

With 32m of ram and a 486/66 to play with, I was just going to use it as
an Xterminal.

> Ditto for all the documentation in any language that is not English (I
> assume there is no Hebrew documentation there).

Wouldn't know, can't read Hebrew. Don't need any of the docs.

>Re. 3.0.3
> What about ftp.redhat.com ?

Nope. It's gone.

> Anyway, RH3 uses anncient components. e.g.: ancinet libc and gcc. It
> probably has XFree, but it may miss many of the current extentions XFree
> now has. In other words: a complete waste of time.

I don't think so. Escpecially since I really wanted an Xterminal. I'm running
everything on a RH7.2 system soon to be replaced with a RH9 system.

> Nothing you can't get from, e.g. RH9.0 + fvwm/icewm/fluxbox

That's true, but the customization options aren't good enough for it. :-(

> > So I settled for RedHat 6.2. It installed ok, but the smallest system I
> > could make was around 500 meg. Using the boot from a 32m partition trick, I
> > was able to get the entire disk work without extra software.
>
> How much time did you spend customizing the packages list?

In the end none. I tried a few times and got down to almost 500m, which I got
by not doing any customization at all. The first few attempts failed due to
a defective hard drive, which much to my wife's delight, I trashed. :-)

> Can you send me (privately) the output of:
>
>   rpm -qa --qf '%{SIZE}\t%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n' |sort -nr

I'll do that later. The machine is back on a shelf. I'm back to using my
SPARCBook as an X terminal. :-)

> Any idea where there is a recent ssh compiled for RH6?

I used ssh 1.2.27 as I had it. BTW, that was only available as a source
RPM, which took some work as I was orginaly installing in on an A/UX
3. system.

> Behind a firewall? That's nice. What about buffer overflows in libpng
> that allows your browser to execute arbitrary code?

I don't use either of them. On small machines I prefer opera, for the
stuff it won't handle, I run mozilla in a X window. Of course for me,
Hebrew support is not an issue.

> There have been enough holes in both netscape 4.7x and pine.

Yes, that's why I use opera. and I use ELM not pine.

> Hey, people used X and sendmail even before there were 32MB computers!

Yes, I used to run it on a 386/16 with 2m ram. X took too long to load,
so I just used virtual consoles. At the time (1991) Linux was a dream,
I remeber the articles about it. I was UNIX System V 3.2 which I paid $1000
for,

I also ran a forgotten system called Coherent which was like UNIX, but not.
I paid $100 for it. It ran on a 8mHZ 80286 with 2m of ram, and an 80meg HD.
I wrote over 50,000 lines of what became "public domain" C code on it.
Longe bofre anyone had heard of GNU.

I used ELM for email, edited files with Microemacs, read netnews with
software I wrote, and communicated with UUCP. Pretty much waht I do today
on much faster hardware, except I use slrn.

I also used smail, because Ineed some local hacks to it, but eventualy
converted to sendemail when I upgraded the UNIX machine to system 5 release 4.
and a 386/33 with 4m.

Lnxux was still not ready for "prime time".

> Anyway, on my 32MB computer (debian woody) I have postfix working
> happily in the background with (even with procmail and spamassasin). X
> and the desktop I use (icewm) are not the major memory hogs: any attempt
> to use two "serious" programs (mozilla, galeon, koffice-app, konqki)
> together starts a horrible trash.
Interesting, I dropped spamassain on my mail maichine cause it overladed it
(PI 166, 64m ram).

> 800x600 is indeed a problem. Many programs are not desinged well and
> have dialogs that won't work well in this resolution.

I know, but that was "hot" then, :-(  BTW, the SPARCBook I'm using is
800x600 and I'm pretty happy with it.

> What do you mean? If you have a reasonable network connection, then
> installing a debain woody (the current stable version) workstation is
> basically one-time download of ~200-500MB:

I prefer to have the images downloaded first so that I don't have to
leave everything hanging while it waits for Aruztzi Zhav to come back.

I did a jigdo download of the m68k woody and it took almost 3 days from
a fast mirror and six downloads running at once. Downloading a 3 cd
distro takes about 6 hours if I download ISO's.

> So you can download the complete set of 7 CDs (or buy them) and install
> from them. Sure. And if the computer allows booting from the CD then the
> installer will boot from the CD.

Not any 486. In fact I don't even have any PI's that will boot from a CD.
The oldest x8 machine I have that will do so is a Pentium Pro 200.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson [EMAIL PROTECTED] 972-54-608-069
Do sysadmins count networked sheep?