Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> But what happens when you want to make a change in the system? You'll
> have to install the whole build environment once again? or re-attach the
> hard-disc to a different computer? Both options sound very
> time-consumng.

I've done this too many times, in too many ways to say what is best.

They all seem to start out with a tar copy of the machine in question.

One way is to make a CD (or CD's) of the tar files. The other is to
restore it on server and set it up so I can use rsync (as in rsyc://....).

Once I've done that I boot with a rescue system, do the partitioning,
etc and restore the files. Tar works much faster than rsync as rsync needs
to determine what it needs to copy while tar does not.

The main advantage of rsync, is that I can rsync the orignal system to the
master as I need to do so, and then don't need to burn new CDs.

The big disadvantage of the attach the disk method is that I have to shutdown
the machine and hope that I don't damage anything in the process. If it
works, 99% of the time, I still would loose everything about once a year. :-(

> That's the atvantage for keeping the machine as RH7.2 (or RH9, when he
> moves to that): there is already a build machine (espcially if you use
> rpm packages, and rebuild soruce packages)

That's true. but I'm thinking of splitting the machines in two just so that
I don't have to mess with the 7.2 machine. It works, I've patched it
as necessary and don't want to update it with rpm and have to patch it
again. It's a stupid mistake, but I made it. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson [EMAIL PROTECTED] 972-54-608-069
Do sysadmins count networked sheep?