On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 10:25:38PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
> On Saturday 07 June 2003 21:04, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > > Use custom installtion. Ditch stuff you don't need.
> >
> > Tried that. It's not granular enough.
>
> Gentoo is great for setting up a system on another box (in a chroot) and then
> moving it over. It's extremely granular and if you compile with -Os and don't
> install things you don't need (docs, .po's) and at the end remove things you
> don't need anymore (kernel sources, include files, pieces of gcc/binutils...)
> you can make a very very lean system.

But what happens when you want to make a change in the system? You'll
have to install the whole build environment once again? or re-attach the
hard-disc to a different computer? Both options sound very
time-consumng.

That's the atvantage for keeping the machine as RH7.2 (or RH9, when he
moves to that): there is already a build machine (espcially if you use
rpm packages, and rebuild soruce packages)

If we get chroot, and the time to fiddle with things: there is a much
simpler option:

Attach the disk to your "work" machine. Create a filesystem in it.
(fdisk, mkfs, you know the drill). Now use the option --root of rpm to
run in chroot environment. The problem is that you'll need rpm in the
chroot environment itself, Mount the first install CD (of the distro you
have!) in /mnt/cdrom, so (assuming that the new cd is mounted on
/mnt/new):

  cd /mnt/newroot
  rpm2cpio /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/rpm-<version>.i386.rpm |cpio -idv

Now you should be able to use 'rpm --root' . The first thing you should
do is:

  rpm --root /mnt/newroot ---initdb

(make sure that there is a --root parameter here!)

Next you start installing packages. Install them in groups, and don't
break dependencies: chances are dependencies ill tell you of packages
you need, but haven't thought about. Start with 'basesystem' and
'filesystem'

I figure you'll get a system with around 50-100MB. Not an issue. If you
really want, you can even instal gcc.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+