×××× ××××× 21 ××××× 2003, 14:52, ×××× ×× ××× Shlomi Fish:
> since Mandrake 7.2 I never had to re-compile the kernel, except
> UML kernels for kernel development

HURD offers something very interesting in this areana: you won't need UML with
HURD because each user can run her own drivers/filesystems/etc or even a full
kernel on a running system w/o affecting other users.

> Is the situation considerably better in x86-based BSD systems?

Not AFAIK. marginly better I might say.

> And what are you referring by "shortcomings of the kernel"? What is wrong
> with the kernel, exactly?

There are tons of problems, one that comes to mind now (because I just ran
into it today) is that if a process is blocked on IO, inside the kernel,
nothing you can do in user space can free it. you can't interrupt it or even
kill -9 it. if you can't fix the problem at the root, you might as well
reboot.

> > Unfortunatly as other people have mentioned - the HURD is seriously
> > lacking in developers, especially driver writers. Linux is to blame for
> > most of that.
>
> KImageShop is seriously lacking in developers, and the GIMP is to blame
> for most of that. Can you blame people for wanting to contribute to a
> fully functional, full-fledged working system that to something that does
> not work yet, and has not for countless years?

No. never meant to say anything bad about the people working on Linux, but you
have to agree that if Linux had not existed, HURD would have had many more
developers, may be even to the point that it would have been usable about
now.

BTW - as Debian GNU/Hurd have been mentioned here, here are the installation
instruction if anybody wants to try it out.
http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install

--
Oded

::..
"You are caught in a maze of twisty little Sendmail rules, all obscure."
        -- "Sendmail: Theory and Practice" / Avolio & Vixie