×××× ××××× 21 ××××× 2003, 19:41, ×××× ×× ××× Shlomi Fish:
> > > Is the situation considerably better in x86-based BSD systems?
> >
> > Not AFAIK. marginly better I mightsay.
>
> Hmmm... so it's not as much a problem of Linux as it is the problem of the
> wacky i386 architecture. And since Linux has to run there,

I think that it can be done better, as 2.6 proves - or tries to at least: I
have no real experience with that as I haven't been running 2.6 long enough,
but the architecture looks so much better. And I think you can do even better
then that.

> > No. never meant to say anything bad about the people working on Linux,
> > but you have to agree that if Linux had not existed, HURD would have had
> > many more developers, may be even to the point that it would have been
> > usable about now.
>
> And in the meantime everyone would have used a BSD clone... ;-)

I feel your pain..

> I'm not a great believer in the concentration of effort/"let's have just
> one alternative" belief. The existence of KDE does not necessarily makes
> GNOME progress any slower. (and vice versa). And so, I'm not sure the rise
> of Linux has slowed down the Hurd considerably.

point taken.

--
Oded

::..
I've never been canoeing before, but I imagine there must be just a few simple
heuristics you have to remember...
Yes, don't fall out, and don't hit rocks.