Thank you for pointing out zic, I hope this helps to solve the israel
summer-winter time issues. It also appears that run-time changes of the
systemwide timezone are not truly possible. I guess we need to change the
timezone, and perform a reboot. Not a problem b/c in reality these changes
will only take place when the system is physically moving to a differnet
timezone.

Thanx for the help,
nachum

what _are_ you trying to achieve? are you trying to adjust the machine for
daylight saving time changes? or you're running a test machine and testing
some software that need to be tested in different timezones?

in the former case, you are not supposed to touch the time-zone at all, but
rather make sure that the TZ file you have is updated with the dates of
daylight saving time's changes, and then the switch will be made
automatically - man 'zic' for more information, and look at
ftp://ftp.cs.huji.ac.il/pub/tz/israel (look at the 'README' file) for easy
instructions for the madness called israeli summer-time ;)

if you're talking about the later, i'm afraid tzselect cannot help - since
(i pressume) you're using it to set the TZ environment variable - and this
change does not effect existing processes. you _might_ be able to apply such
a change to them by attaching a debugger to them and using it to invoke the
relevant library function - but i'm not sure how various applications will
react to such a change. if you change the time zone of the entire machine -
perhaps this will effect currently-running applications.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,