[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I understand this completly (I've been through this myself when I
admin'ed at HUJI CS), and you are certainly right with your concernes.
I just think you are looking at the wrong direction.
Existing tools will help you do a "pull" protocol (cron+ftp, for
instance, BTW - NTP is a "pull" protocol too). If you'll get down to
write a "push" protocol (a mistake, IMHO, since clients go up and down
all the time and the server won't be able to track them all) then
you'll have to write your own protocol, and by then I don't see
the advantage of piggy-backing on NTP of all things.

Look at this in another way - just like you setup NTP clients on all
the machines you are responsible for, setup another procedure to pull
the timezone file.

Ok- mercy- I give up ntp. The point I was trying to make is that we all should get together and do it the same way. Let's try to make the script to run these updates part of standard distributions, part of the same rpm that distributes the TZ files in the first place maybe. Let it add a couple cronjobs/year which check: am I set to Israeli time, if yes- update zicfile, if no- exit.

why shouldn't this be transparent to linux users?
yonah

yonah

Cheers,

--Amos