On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 11:51 +0300, avraham wrote:
> In all these cases I had to retype the line. Apparenly there were
> some unprintable characters that did not agree with LaTeX.
> 1-I was not able to detect these characters with :set list in
> vim. I tried "cat -A of the commented-out lines, but as these
> were Hebrew text, the output was not really helpful.
> Any clever suggestion ?

Write a script (maybe in Perl or Python) which looks for those
characters, and substitutes them into some printable representation.
If you need help, and give me an example, I can write for you such a
script.

> 2-In the dvi file I could see a number of cases where numbers or
> parantheses had come out the wrong way around (not always, mind
> you, that would have been easy to correct). The problem is to
> spot these in the source file, when these occur in the middle of
> the Hebrew text.

I think that you can use an heuristic to fix the parentheses, assuming
that there are never nested parentheses:
Count both opening and closing parentheses.  Odd-numbered (starting the
count from 1) parentheses are opening ones.  Even-numbered ones are
closing ones.
You still will need some heuristic to deal with text which has open
parenthesis but not closing parenthesis, if there are such cases in your
documents.

About numbers, maybe you can assume that no number in a recipe can start
with 0.  Again, this assumes some script work.
                                              --- Omer
--
One does not make peace with enemies.  One makes peace with former
enemies.

I may be affiliated in any way.